Thread: ABS Speed Sensor

ABS Speed Sensor

So tonight I started tearing into the front end of my VX in order to change out the torn CV boots. Things are pretty ugly under there. Started on the driver's side, I'm finding my hub parts are fine, but my knuckle is pretty rusty and the speed sensor retaining bolt (the hex head one) was totally frozen and the head just snapped off when I turned it. So my speed sensor is stuck in the knuckle.

So, I am wondering, what does this part actually do? My ABS light has been on for years now and I really prefer to not have ABS anyhow. Are these front speed sensors actually controlling my speedo readout or are they simple for my ABS which doesn't work anyhow? Yes, my thought is to just jettison these parts and move on.

Thanks -Bart

Just curious, are you doing more than just simply replacing boots?
    If all your doing is boots there is no need to remove the sensors.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Bart,

I recently fubared the speed sensor on the drivers side too (or more acurately, my mechanic did) and from what I can tell these are only necessary for the ABS. I drove to Moab without the speed sensor and my speedo worked fine, but my ABS light was on. As soon as I replaced the sensor at The Stoop, the ABS light went off and the speedo still worked.

From what I gather the sensor is basically a magnet that senses the ridges of the "tone" ring as they pass by. The ABS brain then compairs the information from all four corners to make sure that the ridges are all passing by the sensors at the same rate. As soon as one wheel speeds up, or slows down, then the signal from that wheel is different and the ABS kicks in during brakeing.

What I DON'T know is if these sensors have something to do with the TOD system. How does the TOD know when one wheel is spinning faster than the others if not for the speed sensors? Anyone? Is the TOD sensing taken care of in the transfer case somehow?
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Yeah, I need to get to the bottom of this. If all it affects is the ABS, I want it out.

Billy, I am going all the way to the diff to replace my leaking seals.

Bart

Just got a reply from JLEMOND on the Planet and he confirmed it. The speed sensors are only for the ABS!!! TOD is controlled elsewhere!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Billy, I am going all the way to the diff to replace my leaking seals.

Bart
    Cool, just didn't want you doing a lot of extra/unecessary work.

Its kind of a whore of a job, but a few months back I bought a nice electric impact, lemmi tell ya, WHAT A DIFFERENCE it makes having this.

Bart

Very glad to read this info...I just had my VX in for wheel bearings and ball joints...and the right rear ABS Wheel Speed Sensor broke off as they were doing the repairs. The cheapest one I can find is still over $400....I was only worried if this would cause my TOD to not function properly, can anyone confirm that this sensor is not needed for proper TOD function and is just for ABS.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Yup...just for ABS.

See post #4 above

Jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]