Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tone popper with OEM Tailgate Popper button

Tone popper with OEM Tailgate Popper button

I know there are several Door Popper related threads, but I would like to create one that is all encompassing if you want to install the tone popper with the oem tailgate button. Which is what I am hoping to do next weekend (a week from saturday). After I get it finished, I will create a "how-to" thread to be stored for future use.

So.....

Please chime in if you think this looks right or wrong, or if you have any suggestions.

Thanks

One additional thing I just noticed....

The pin switch would ALSO be connected to the dome lights.

I dont think the "E-brake Ground" is in the right spot......or is it.
    Last edited by JAMAS : 08/05/2011 at 09:00 AM

Wow, I am totally carrying on a thread by myself....weird..

I did some more looking/thinking. A made a modification to my diagram to reflect my new knowledge.

I believe the ebrake is NOT a ground as I originally had thought. Rather, it is an interlock switch that produces 12v when engaged. This is evident by the "Brake" being lit up on the dash. I will use that to power the button, which will in turn activate my relay. If the ebrake isnt pulled, then the button doesnt have 12v to send to activate the relay magnet. Both diagrams are VERY messy. Once figured out, I will draw up something cleaner.

probably because

Quote Originally Posted by JAMAS View Post
    Wow, I am totally carrying on a thread by myself....weird..

I did some more looking/thinking. A made a modification to my diagram to reflect my new knowledge.

I believe the ebrake is NOT a ground as I originally had thought. Rather, it is an interlock switch that produces 12v when engaged. This is evident by the "Brake" being lit up on the dash. I will use that to power the button, which will in turn activate my relay. If the ebrake isnt pulled, then the button doesnt have 12v to send to activate the relay magnet. Both diagrams are VERY messy. Once figured out, I will draw up something cleaner.

you are the only one who can read your handwriting. JK but I didnt want you to feel all alone
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

Thanks.....I think

Crud...I think I was right the first time. I think our ebrake provides a ground to a circuit. I dont think I have access to the "brake system warning" light's 12v. Only to its ground.

not sure if it is safe to ground the relay to it or not.

Looks like the "park position switch" may be the answer.....May be.

Maybe it will provide the same 12v that I was hoping to get at the parking brake switch. Only this time, the VX will have to be in PARK.

I want to use it while in drive... so I can pop the hatch and release 1,000s of caltrops if I'm ever being chased by zombies

You can use the park position switch to prevent the door from opening while you're driving...
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

I wired my Tone rear door popper to a stock Isuzu tailgate release switch like you are proposing, but the one thing that I found was that if you connect the pin switch to the dome light AND the little open indicator light on the stock switch the popper will not work if the dome light is one. In other words, if you have one of your doors open, which turns the dome light on, then the stock switch will not activate the popper. I don't know if it's just the way I wired things, or if there is some kind of mechanism in the stock button that canels it out if the indicator light is on.

The only way I can see around this would be to install two pin switches; one to turn the dome light on and one to turn the open indicator light on on the stock button on.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyapollo View Post
    You can use the park position switch to prevent the door from opening while you're driving...
    Does the park position switch output 12v or is it a ground?

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    I wired my Tone rear door popper to a stock Isuzu tailgate release switch like you are proposing, but the one thing that I found was that if you connect the pin switch to the dome light AND the little open indicator light on the stock switch the popper will not work if the dome light is one. In other words, if you have one of your doors open, which turns the dome light on, then the stock switch will not activate the popper. I don't know if it's just the way I wired things, or if there is some kind of mechanism in the stock button that canels it out if the indicator light is on.

The only way I can see around this would be to install two pin switches; one to turn the dome light on and one to turn the open indicator light on on the stock button on.
    Hmmm... That's odd. I would think it was just a ground. If anything I would think the door indicator on the switch would light up if Any door opened.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMAS View Post
    Does the park position switch output 12v or is it a ground?
    I believe it's 12v - I've got a wiring diagram around here somewhere that was sent to me by a VX owner in FL (not on the list - met him by accident during the N. GA/TN meet up on Black Rock Mountain way back) - anyway, he owned a shop and had wired it just so - sent me a scan of a drawing much like yours but it showed how you could use the relay to disable the popper switch unless the VX was in park. I've never accidently hit mine but I could see how it could happen while driving. I'll see if I can find that scan.

-- John

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyapollo View Post
    I'll see if I can find that scan.
    that would be GREAT, thanks!