Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Replacement rubber strips for OEM cross members / roof rack

Replacement rubber strips for OEM cross members / roof rack

I noticed many roof racks are missing some of the rubber strips recently. Since they're not available from Isuzu or Yakima, I've been searching the internet trying to find replacements.

I obtained numerous samples of extruded rubber weatherstripping/seals and found 2 or 3 I think will work.

Looking for input: foresee any problems, issues, etc...with this idea?

Who's interested in getting some?

• For Samples 1 and 2 - Must buy a min of 75' of EACH.

• Wider sample #1 is marked "13126"

• Narrower sample #2 is marked "13120"

• Was thinking of using the wider one for BOTH top and bottom, so only have to buy one box of 75'. Would need to put some adhesive on the underside of rubber to stick to cross bar.

• For samples #1, it would be about $20 shipped, for 4 strips.

• $10 shipped for 2 strips.

• If I get enough interest in the narrower Sample #2 for the underside, I can order a roll of that (75' min). Same pricing as #1.

• Each strip will be about 36" long.

• Or buy the 3rd sample (@ $7.80/ft !) for the underside only. It can be purchased by the foot, no minimum, but much more expensive. So $25 PER STRIP

• Any suggestions for what adhesive to use?

• Anybody in the business of making this type of stuff?

• If you're interested in getting these, let me know, and which size.

• Photobucket album with many more pics: Each pic has detailed info in Description field. http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/...20roof%20rack/

1) For reference, OEMs installed. Left one is on the TOP, other is on the underside of the cross member. The track/channel is the same width on top and bottom.

2) Cross section of the TOP OEM strip:

3) Here's several of the samples I got:

4) Side view of the two samples that fit the best in the tracks.
    SAMPLE 1 is the WIDER - marked "13126"
    SAMPLE 2 is the NARROWER - marked "13120"

There's adhesive on the vertical part of the "neck", so it will adhere to the thin side of the metal track.

Also notice the narrower sample (for the underside) is a little more curved/domed. To secure it, might need to put some type of adhesive on the underside of the "mushroom cap" part to get it to stick to the metal bar so it wouldn't blow off.

5) Sample 3 installed on TOP: This one is VERY SNUG in the channel, might be a little difficult to slide it in place. Could use silicon spray to install it. It's slightly narrower than the top OEM. It's $7.80/foot, which is the highest in the group.

6) Sample 3 installed on UNDERSIDE: Notice it's pretty snug, even pinched a bit by the channel but could use silicon spray to install it.

7) Sample 1 in UNDERSIDE track. Notice how the long neck prevents the mushroom cap from being flush with cross member.

8) Sample 2 in UNDERSIDE track. It's the farthest away in pic. Notice how it's more arched/curved than sample #1 or the two OEMs.

9) OEMs stacked on top of Sample 1 to compare width.

10) Top view showing the OEMs and first two samples (with numbers)
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Is ther anything that rejuvenates the original rubber material? Thx

Quote Originally Posted by blacksambo View Post
    Is ther anything that rejuvenates the original rubber material? Thx
    I've found "Aero space Protectant 303" is dang near magic for rubber and plastic. Has SPF40, reapply every 6 weeks or so to keep that level of SPF.
    Available typically at Marine and RV places, or online...Amazon.

Thx

not looking to offend, but non of them look particularly great. were did you find samples from? are they intended for automotive use? i use to have some that looked almost identical to oem stip's, that i used at dealership i worked at. i can see were they got it from but with out having rails myself to compare to will be hard to know for sure how well they will fit. i know it came in 4ft lengths though. also the rubber stips u do have do you know what they are inteded for. i only ask because in picture they look a little poris compared to the oem rubber as if they are for sealing a door jam or somthing so they will compress a little. if that is the case u may find they shrink over time as rubber hardens, they also just seem to hook in on one side so apart from the #3 sample i would be worried about leading edge cathing the wind and either pulling it our over time or causeing a wind whistle.... (have had wind whistle on oem room rails when rubber was not intalled just right on mdx"s very anoying).

sorry if i sounds negative, not my intension, just thinking out loud. great work though and pictures really helped

no problem mantis, that's exactly what I wanted...that's why I put it in big purple letters!

I agree with all your points, thought the same thing. These are all dense rubber, not porous and spongy (and I did see that type also) but I tweaked the contrast on the pics to be able to see detail on black on black, it made it look that way, especially pics 6 & 7.

I tried:
    ACME rubber
    Complete Automobilist
    Griffith Rubber
    Technorubber Industries - Samples 1 & 2
    Rocket Seals -
    Steele Rubber products - Sample #3 (it's a classic car parts restoration operation)
    Robinson Rubber
    Manufacturer's Rubber
    Yakima- none similar and none remaining

I sent detailed pics and called them, and I know there were a few more companies I'm forgetting. I was REALLY surprised I couldn't find anything similar. One company said sometimes automotive companies patent these kinds of things and maybe that's why I couldn't find anything like them. But I know Yakima made these racks, so maybe they have a paten, who knows.

They're mostly automotive, and some are window weatherstripping.

Any ideas or further sources for something that will work better would be great! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mantis465 View Post
    not looking to offend, but non of them look particularly great. were did you find samples from? are they intended for automotive use? i use to have some that looked almost identical to oem stip's, that i used at dealership i worked at. i can see were they got it from but with out having rails myself to compare to will be hard to know for sure how well they will fit. i know it came in 4ft lengths though. also the rubber stips u do have do you know what they are inteded for. i only ask because in picture they look a little poris compared to the oem rubber as if they are for sealing a door jam or somthing so they will compress a little. if that is the case u may find they shrink over time as rubber hardens, they also just seem to hook in on one side so apart from the #3 sample i would be worried about leading edge cathing the wind and either pulling it our over time or causeing a wind whistle.... (have had wind whistle on oem room rails when rubber was not intalled just right on mdx"s very anoying).

sorry if i sounds negative, not my intension, just thinking out loud. great work though and pictures really helped

Wow! Thanks for all the effort.

Did you look at Outwater Plastics? http://www.outwatercatalogs.com/

Sue - Maybe you could just glue a flat piece of rubber across the channel opening? The only reason to ever remove the weatherstripping is if you need to use the channel for a T-bolt installation, which most accessories don't use anyway. If someone didn't need that ability, gluing something in place seems much cheaper and easier.

Just a thought, thanks for doing the research!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    no problem mantis, that's exactly what I wanted...that's why I put it in big purple letters!

That, & the fact that you like BIG PURPLE LETTERS ...

Any ideas or further sources for something that will work better would be great! Thanks!
    http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=C...ex-us.com&ba=1

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...e4H7f4oibQ4lbg

http://www.minorrubber.com/

http://www.acmerubber.com/hchannel.htm

http://www.invplus.com/home.htm

Look for "H" moulding

HOLY BEJESUZ! Your search engine must be way better than mine! Only ACME came up of yours...maybe I should try that googley woogly search engine you use! And I thought this company had a lot of offerings:https://dealer.steelerubber.com/Ecom...Extrusion.aspx

I can see what I'll be doing this week. Thanks Dubster! (and thanks R2D2..I'll check out that company as well) I'm on it!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    HOLY BEJESUZ! Your search engine must be way better than mine! Only ACME came up of yours...maybe I should try that googley woogly search engine you use! And I thought this company had a lot of offerings:https://dealer.steelerubber.com/Ecom...Extrusion.aspx

I can see what I'll be doing this week. Thanks Dubster! (and thanks R2D2..I'll check out that company as well) I'm on it!
    Probably as much a difference in search nomenclature vs search engine functionality.

I'm guessing you could search BIG circles around me if we were both searching for anything having to do with medical terminology...

I tried every one of the sources Dub listed, and came up empty.

Noticed the seller of an OEM VX roof rack currently on ebay mentioned that his rack was missing a rubber strip, but that they were easily replaced. So I asked him where....he suggested I try "etrailer.com" for replacement rubber strips.

Thule has a couple different ones that are really similar looking.

Check this out! We may have a winner...I'm waiting on some dimensions.

I ordered 2 different Thule replacement rubber strips....we'll see if they fit...or can be made to fit....