Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Replacement rubber strips for OEM cross members / roof rack

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    I ordered 2 different Thule replacement rubber strips....we'll see if they fit...or can be made to fit....
    Here's the rubber strip I got from Thule. (I actually got 3 different ones, but they're all the same size)
    They looked soooooo close and would work if I could get the 2 feet to stay in the track, .

The "feet" on the Thule strips are just a little further apart and prevents them from staying in the track, and they cause the strip to just pop out.

• What about heating them up/softening them and then get them in track??

• What about cutting part of one "foot" to reduce the width a little, but still enough to keep it in the track?

Looking for suggestions and ideas on how to get these to work....

The OEM is in the channel, Thule on top.

TRYING TO PUSH THULE INTO TRACK....JUST TOO SNUG....

THULE ON BOTTOM, OEM SITTING ON TOP

VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

My only suggestion would not be easy. Trim the edges of the feet to match the contour of the rail. If there was some way to create a fixture to pass the strip through to trim each side evenly (like a router attachment) you could get a nice snug fit. The other option is to trim the rail for the wider strip.

Attachment 1481
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    My only suggestion would not be easy. Trim the edges of the feet to match the contour of the rail. If there was some way to create a fixture to pass the strip through to trim each side evenly (like a router attachment) you could get a nice snug fit. The other option is to trim the rail for the wider strip.

Attachment 1481
    Hey Cobrajet, thanks....been thinking and playing with that idea...decided to take my super sharp, super small little Spyderco knife and slice that area you highlighted in red. It allows the neck to be "thinner" because it allows the feet to squeeze closer together, thus fitting in the channel nice and securely.

So far I did just one side (on my little 3" piece) and it's staying in the channel properly, and the mushroom cap is almost completely flush on the bars.
    If it pops out, I think doing the same on the other side would make it a sure thing! It takes forever, but it can be done!

Success!!!!!! YAH!!

Thanks for the idea!

Hey Osteo....this means your rack will be ready this week!

The OEM piece is behind the new one.
    I tweaked contrast so the black details can be seen.

Thanks so much for sharing! This must have taken some intense effort!

Quote Originally Posted by elvisdonnelly View Post
    Thanks so much for sharing! This must have taken some intense effort!
    Oh man, you don't know the half of it!
    Been working on and experimenting for about 3+ months now....success tonight is sooooo sweet!

Success! Got the 2 new strips "modded" and inserted, look great.
    Here's the new (Left) and OEM (Right) side by side:

Thumbs up

Final assembly, both bars with new Thule top rubber strips.
    • They're extremely snug to get into the channel, even after slicing BOTH sides where the "feet" meet the cap, it takes lots and lots of pushing to get them in.
    • When the two "feet" get squeezed together to fit into the channel, it causes the mushroom cap to raise up in the middle, resulting in a little more curved top profile. So they aren't quite as "flat" as the OEM strips.

• Even though they're thicker, they still fit nicely under each end cap. I really cranked down those screws to give them a little extra "hold".

• I'm sure the Mighty Mounts will still fit, no problem, even though these are thicker since the Mighty Mounts have an adjustable screw for thickness.
    • After they were in, I waited a few days to see if they popped out. A-OK so far.

• Final Impression: Pretty dang good replacement since OEMs aren't available. Good replacement option for anybody missing one or both of these.

From e-trailer.com:

~ $5.00 + shipping for the 47" long

~ $5.50 + shipping for the 53" long

~ I also ordered the 70.5" long strip for $10.95, but it's on back order. I "believe" it's the same size as the two above, but not quite sure since it's for a different set of bars. If it fits, you can get 2 strips from the one piece. (may save a little shipping, but otherwise no real advantage.)

http://www.etrailer.com/comparison.a...c2=TH853354407