Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another high idle problem

Another high idle problem

Hi
    Just the other day my vehicross started idling between 2000 and 2500.
    I cleaned the mass air flow sensor and changed the TPS and cleaned out the EGR. With no change, VX is not throwing any codes. About a month ago changed the FPR and ICV. If you start with the MAF unplugged will not stay running idle is to low. Fuel filter is old, could that be it or is there a way to test the MAF sensor? And where is the power steering presure senor I read about in some old treads causing high idle so I can cross that off the list of causes.
    Thanks Steve

Check your OBDII codes, first. If its 171 or 172 its common chamber gaskets, a common cause of high idle.

Dont have a engine check light and no codes to read

Fuel filter being old/dirty would most likely cause a low and rough idle, and poor performance. Not a high idle. You can test the MAF with a multimeter, I don't know off hand what the voltages should be though, could probably find them in one of the many manuals on this site. The power steering sensor would be found there as well, but I don't know where it is myself.

I do know I was getting a high idle a week or so ago, cleaned the IAC and MAF with carb parts cleaner and blew them both dry with a little compressed air. When you changed the IAC valve was the idle fine after that, or change shortly after, no change at all? Most high idles that don't throw a code will be an IAC issue, or base idle. Is it every time you start it idling high? Or just on occasion?

Oh, and when you turn the key to run before you start it, are you sure the CEL comes on? Just to make sure it's not burned out on you!

Very good point.

My high idle prob was a power steering line pressure sensor. No codes were ever thrown and no CEL light was on. Took a while but my mechanic nailed it by bypassing or removing the sensor, so far with no ill effects.

Not diagnosing your problem, just sayin'.

Yes the check engine light does work and I have a code reader and it passes.
    Idle is high all the time for the last 4 days, When I changed the ICV it had a surging up and down indle but was good after that. I did clean MAF and IVC with sensor cleaner and blew both out with air. I looked for power steering sensor and only a few people mention it and I cant find it.

Thanks Steve

Looks like the power steering pressure sensor is the last thing to locate. Hopefully somone will chime in that knows where it's at!

The only way I can get the idle to slow down is to remove the MAF and hold it about 1/2 inch away from intake tube as you move it closer idle speeds up and away slow down till it dies. Found that out by accident. and yes Bob I think power sterring could be the problem.

Thaht moving the MAF to and from the rest of the intake just causes a massive air leak and very lean burn condition in each cylinder, since it's drawing in all that air behind the MAF that is not being metered and because of that the comp is not commanding any/very much fuel. It's a pretty dangerous thing to do to run an engine lean.

Power steering switch location

The switch is on the bottom, as I recall, of the the power steering pump. In the mounting bracket there is a hole for the switch to come through. The wire is routed up the back of the pump and difficult to see or find. It does have an electrical connector that you can simply disconnect and see if that improves your idle.

Good luck, I didn't see it and pulled the wire out of the sensor when I removed the engine after double and triple checking all the wires connected to the motor.

Dan

a low likelyhood cause

floor mats sliding up and pushing the throttle from underneath. Had it happen to my Amigo
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

That's a wierd one there!

Floor matts are checked and not by gas pedal. I was moving the MAF sensor just to see if it was working and by moving it alittle away engine speed would change so I think it is good. Took out the IVC out again and I cant move the plunger, should it move in and out by hand?