Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TerraTrikes fit

TerraTrikes fit

Recently bought a TerraTrike Rover 3. Prior to making the buy, I'd measured the VX cargo space with back seats removed (took 'em out 8 years ago). To my disappointment the space was 8" too short to transport a fully assembled Rover. Tuesday, my Rover was delivered. Yesterday, I decided to find out how much of the Rover I'd have to disassemble to fit in the VX. While pondering the situation in the garage looking at the Rover and VX, it struck me that removing the spare tire would free up the necessary space. The Rover would fit in the back fully assembled. Removing the spare tire was a lot quicker and easier than partially disassembling the Rover, then putting it back together to ride. I removed the spare tire and cover. The Rover fit in the back of the VX with room to spare. The spare tire fit fine under the Rover.

Next decision, to carry the spare tire on the floor or to leave it at home. The spare could become a deadly projectile in a serious collision. Never had a flat in 12 years. Hmmm?

Get a roof basket and a full size spare. Problem solved.

Bart

Get a couple tie-downs and strap the spare to the floor.

If I were still into unpaved adventures, I'd consider carrying a spare on a roof rack. Murphy's Law, if I leave the spare at home you can bet I'll get a flat in the boonies and need it. Getting tie-downs to secure the spare on the floor is probably the best way to go. Was a couple months ago that I actually put air in the spare for the first time in 12 years. As you might guess, the spare tire was empty.

Does your rover have a quick disconnect type skewer on the front (or rear) wheels?

Never mind...just looked at the pic again and no...no real reason for one (other than easy wheel removal so it would easily fit in a VX )
    Last edited by Triathlete : 07/07/2011 at 11:48 AM
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Does your rover have a quick disconnect type scewer on the front (or rear) wheels?
    No quick releases for any of the wheels. TerraTrikes advertises how easy the Rover is to break down to fit in a conventional car trunk. However, the TerraTrike video of a Rover being disassembled didn't look too easy to do to me. Originally, I planned to partially disassemble the trike to fit in the VX, which is what I was considering in the garage, yesterday.

Those trikes look like a lot of fun. I've always wanted one of the racier Catrikes: http://www.catrike.com/catrike_700.html Mmmmm....sexy.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    Those trikes look like a lot of fun.
    We've been having triple digit temps and high humidity for several days. Not ideal bike riding weather. Though, the day of delivery I took the trike out for 7-mile ride at sunset. I intended to just go down the street and back, but couldn't stop. That trike is great fun to ride and comfortable.

They just always look dangerous to ride on the road. Drivers "don't see" regular cyclists...its got to be 10 times worse when your sitting that low.
    Now with a suspension and mt bike tires, I bet it would be great fun on the trail!

Yah! Now I feel like one of the kool kids instead of the poor geek on a trike! And thanks Bill for the suggestion how to carry it in the VX, we've never tried that!

Did I mention it's hilarious to watch me try to ride a 2 wheeler?.....with my balance problems, I just fall over to one side....last time it happened we still lived in Dallas and I fell over (luckily) onto the grassy strip between the street and the sidewalk....phew, nothing broken...last time I rode a 2 wheeler though

Solution?......add a 3rd wheel..

Now here's a news flash.....and it will come as a complete surprise...I got wider, nobby tires on the back, and just nobbier on the front.....!

http://www.coventrycycle.com/BentTrikes.html
    http://www.bicycleman.com/recumbents...ent-trikes.htm
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

They just always look dangerous to ride on the road. Drivers "don't see" regular cyclists...its got to be 10 times worse when your sitting that low.
    Now with a suspension and mt bike tires, I bet it would be great fun on the trail!
    Was a big issue for me Billy....so I got the biggest, brightest, flapping flag I could find. ya'll have seen my bike flag....I taped it to the roof rack for Moab 2009!

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    OMG Sue, I want one of those bikes! Looking at bikes now and that looks perfect!
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Did I mention it's hilarious to watch me try to ride a 2 wheeler?.....with my balance problems, I just fall over to one side....last time it happened we still lived in Dallas and I fell over (luckily) onto the grassy strip between the street and the sidewalk....phew, nothing broken...last time I rode a 2 wheeler though

Solution?......add a 3rd wheel..
    The last time I "fell over" was 3 years ago...

...I was going about 30+ mph when a car pulled out in front of me! Swerve, brake, a pothole' gravity...and over the bars I go! They didn't stop! Not fun riding 10 miles home with broken ribs, road rash and your azz hanging out of your torn bike shorts!
    My helmet did it's job though!

...Not fun riding 10 miles home with broken ribs , road rash and your a$hanging out of your torn bike shorts!
    Terrible experience, my healing ribs prompted me to buy a recumbent trike. Riding a conventional 2-wheeler aggravated my broken ribs. Triking in a seated position did not strain my rib cage.

Sue, do you really have to worry about traffic on the 1 paved road in that big city you call home?