Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Natural selection at work

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow Natural selection at work

Though I occasionally bemoan the fact that there's not much "natural selection" left within the confines of a "civilized" society, there's also the other side of the coin to be considered...

The fact that there are still those out there, who despite the best efforts of an overly litigenous society, which puts warning labels on HOT COFFEE cups, STILL manage to "F" themselves up...In this case, by blowing off his own fool haid, gives me at least SOME small amount of hope for the future of the gene pool...

I couldn't F'n believe what I was reading...proof POSITIVE that good ol' Fargo will get at the LEAST, an honorable mention in this years Darwin awards...

Read on...

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/325785/

And yes, I submitted to darwin
    Last edited by Ldub : 07/05/2011 at 05:15 PM

Reminds me of the guy at the anti-helmet rally this weekend.CRASHED and of course died of head injuries
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

Awesome...just freak'n awesome!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    ""Right there and then I knew that I had to get away because I was not going to be involved in that,”"

.... Hanson said.

LOL!
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

couldnt read

the pop ups were to agressive and even the pop up blocker didnot work
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harness View Post
    Reminds me of the guy at the anti-helmet rally this weekend.CRASHED and of course died of head injuries
    I thought the same thing when I read that, but I believe that group was making a point about making helmet laws mandatory. It was not an anti-helmet rally. It was an anti-helmet LAW rally.

Similar to the seatbelt law, their local government was trying to make helmets REQUIRED. The group called ABATE (American Bikers Aimed Towards Education) states that it encourages the voluntary use of helmets but opposes mandatory helmet laws.

I wear a helmet (and gloves, and a jacket) when I ride. In fact, I wear a back protector and protective jeans (both by ICON) when I ride on long rides. I encourage all of my friends that ride to be just as safe. I have been in 2 motorcycle accidents and have walked away with only my pride injured so I know how much these things help.

With that being said....
    I don't believe those items should be required by law. Not wearing a helmet does not affect anyone else but the helmet wearer (and people that care about them)

Probably more said than what was required for Ldubs natural selection thread, but I read this article yesterday and quickly changed my perspective after reading past the headline.

Wow, nice. I bet it was some sort of home made pipe bomb or home made pipe bomb/mortar contraption. Must have launched right into his head. That's why you use realllllly sloooooow burning fuse.

Bart

Weird, I swear I saw that episode on 1000 Ways to Die on SpikeTV.

Episode 10:
    77 Red, White and Blew July 4, 1983 Happy's Trailer Park
    Lawrence, KS A group of rednecks attempt to celebrate the Fourth of July by launching a homemade firework from a homemade launcher. When it fails to work, one of them looks down the barrel of the launcher, and the firework explodes in his face, shattering his skull into his brain. (Note: This clip features a Wilhelm scream)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    I'd have to disagree...

Quote Originally Posted by JAMAS View Post
    With that being said....
    Not wearing a helmet does not affect anyone else but the helmet wearer (and people that care about them0

....it make all our health & Auto insurance premiums higher
    due to the HIGH cost of caring for / fixing cranial trauma .

AJBTW... I love/ride bikes, and hate helmets..

....but, it makes sense.

JMHO

Jo

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    That's why you use realllllly sloooooow burning fuse.

Bart
    Bart-
    sounds like you have personal experience with homemade/illegal fireworks??? that wouldnt be the case would it?
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post

Jo
    I would be curious to see the cost comparison of death from head injury at the scene,as compared to the physical reconstruction of the rest of the person if they survived an otherwise fatal injury thanks to a helmet.

I am against helmet and seatbelt laws as well. They should do it military style. Get in an accident without a helmet/seatbelt, insurance doesn't pay. Problem solved, you can ride how you like, but its at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    ...The fact that there are still those out there, who despite the best efforts of an overly litigenous society, which puts warning labels on HOT COFFEE cups, STILL manage to "F" themselves up...
    Before you keep using the well-known '90's McDonalds lawsuit as an example of a frivolous lawsuit, I'd suggest you watch the movie "Hot Coffee" currently being shown on HBO.

That particular lawsuit, the real physical damage it caused to the elderly woman, and the repeated negligence displayed by McDonald leading up to the incident was twisted around by the media, the Bush administration, and the likes of Carl Rowe to pass tort reform which ended up making it near impossible for ANY U.S. citizens to seek reasonable recourse for legitimate damages against actual negligence of corporations.

Hopefully none of us here will ever have to find out the hard way the definition of "mandatory arbitration" should we be on the receiving end of any gross negligence of a business large enough to hide behind it's lawyers, but that's what happens when people believe everything they see and hear on tv.

Makes a person wonder just why this particular incident is being so widely reported.

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    Before you keep using the well-known '90's McDonalds lawsuit as an example of a frivolous lawsuit, I'd suggest you watch the movie "Hot Coffee" currently being shown on HBO.

That particular lawsuit, the real physical damage it caused to the elderly woman, and the repeated negligence displayed by McDonald leading up to the incident was twisted around by the media, the Bush administration, and the likes of Carl Rowe to pass tort reform which ended up making it near impossible for ANY U.S. citizens to seek reasonable recourse for legitimate damages against actual negligence of corporations.

Hopefully none of us here will ever have to find out the hard way the definition of "mandatory arbitration" should we be on the receiving end of any gross negligence of a business large enough to hide behind it's lawyers, but that's what happens when people believe everything they see and hear on tv.

Makes a person wonder just why this particular incident is being so widely reported.
    I don't care what McDs did, short of the employee pulling down her pants and pouring it on her crotch. If you are buying a piping hot liquid, placing it in your lap and driving in a large vibrating and moving metal can, you deserve to get burned and can hold no on other than yourself accountable. It would be like getting a sunburn at the tanning salon and then blaming the company.

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    I'd have to disagree...

AJBTW... I love/ride bikes, and hate helmets..

....but, it makes sense.

JMHO

Jo
    Not sure. I guess I would need to see data regarding the tie between helmetless injuries and insurance premiums. Perhaps outlawing fatty foods and cigarettes might do more good in lowering health premiums.

Or read this for a more concise overview:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck...#Burn_incident

The lady really wasn't some unreasonable, whining, gold digger. On the other hand there were a lot of other courts that disagreed with whether corporations could be held liable.

That particular lawsuit, the real physical damage it caused to the elderly woman, and the repeated negligence displayed by McDonald leading up to the incident was twisted around by the media...
    Agreed.

...the Bush administration, and the likes of Carl Rowe to pass tort reform which ended up making it near impossible for ANY U.S. citizens to seek reasonable recourse for legitimate damages against actual negligence of corporations.

Insert liberal paranoia. Take a read here (scroll down to Tort reform in US politics) and do some more research... plenty of people are still making nice sums of money in tort cases, and many prominent Dems (including our President) have voted for reform in the time since this case.