Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Changing CV joints (front right and left axle assemblies)

And some people thought the RCV shaft prices were to high! Looks like the bargain or the century IF it ever pans out.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    The AZone shafts are remanufactured. For the same price you can get the Empi's on Amazon.com. In my opinion a much better part. Mine have been abused in Moab and held up just fine.

Not a fan of the EMPI's myself. I come to find out after removing my passenger side CV that it was a EMPI where my driverside wasnt. I am guessing mine failed and broke because of a sevral compounding issues like being lifted and well going to Moab. So as I was driving down the highway it started making the usual noise it made but louder this time. It had made this noise when they where first installed but mechanic told me its because I was lifted and who was I to argue with him. I pulled over off the highway to check under my truck to see where new noise was comming from and well it started smoking (yes i said smoking) I see smoke coming from the inner green cup. I got home and after ripping them apart I see how being lifted and taking it off road that the EMPI failed due to its design and lets just say some peices got worn a bit. I threw away the shaft and forgot to take close up pictures but when I get home I will send what few pictures I did take. The OEM's and the outter barrings of the EMPI has balls (haha it is kinda funny mark) where as the inner has lugs with rings around them. When I had tried to pull them out some of the rings where stuck in the cup and I had to file the green cup enough to pull them out. The inside was soo worn.

Just my 23 cents of what I ran into. Hopefully the rest of you wont run into same trouble I had but againt I think EMPI went bad because of being lifted without drop brackets and going off road. If I wasnt lifted or had a drop bracket I think they would be fine for off road use.
    "It's not sexual harassment, I am just building up your tolerence"-Dumke

So, it sounds like you had the entire empi long side. Yes those come with the tripod type joint. But if only using the short shaft it has balls.
    I am lifted and have done a bit of "light" wheeling a time or two...mine are holding up well.
    I think they will hold up till I get that 44 under there!

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    So, it sounds like you had the entire empi long side. Yes those come with the tripod type joint. But if only using the short shaft it has balls.
    I am lifted and have done a bit of "light" wheeling a time or two...mine are holding up well.
    I think they will hold up till I get that 44 under there!
    Learned something new..

Glad to be of service!

Update

Okay... apparently, no one has actually changed out an entire axle assembly, or at least hasn't come forward. As Tom4Bren said, it's much more involved than the simple 4-bolt, 1-retaining ring instructions for changing just the boots.

Here's what I've found after taking it apart as far as I dared.

A complete axle assembly is built like this:

outer spline->outer CV joint->shaft->inner CV joint->cup (also called an inner housing)->inner spline

Like Tom said, the CV boot repair instructions are helpful, but they leave the splines attached to the vehicle. This is because you can simply pull the inner CV joint out of the cup, easily disassemble it, and slide the new baffles on from that end.

If you want to remove and replace an entire assembly, including the splines, a much more involved process is required:

OUTER SPLINE: From what I can see, complete disasembly of the wheel is required. This probably will involve removing the brakes, removing that big honkin axle nut, repacking the bearings, etc. Unfortunately, I can't find anything here detailing this. Even the manual seems to be a little sparse.

INNER SPLINE: You have to completely drop the differential to remove the inner splines and cups. There is already an excellent tutorial on this.

Caveat: Depending on how much slack is present, you do not HAVE to replace the inner cup. You can simply purchase an axle assembly which stops at the inner CV (doesn't have the cup/inner housing), and reuse the prexisting cup. However, I've heard that the bearings in the aftermarket CV axle assemblies are smaller than factory, and will rattle around in the cup.

I would expect however, that if only your outer CV joint is bad, and you've purchased an axle assembly without the inner housing, you could disassemble the new inner CV on on the replacement axle assembly and use the CV joint from the old one instead, couldn't you?

I anyone has more information on removing the wheel assembly to get at the outer CV spline, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

-Mike
    Last edited by mcaramb : 06/28/2011 at 07:13 AM

Quote Originally Posted by mcaramb View Post
    Okay... apparently, no one has actually changed out an entire axle assembly, or at least hasn't come forward. As Tom4Bren said, it's much more involved than the simple 4-bolt, 1-retaining ring instructions for changing just the boots.

I have ... twice.

Here's what I've found after taking it apart as far as I dared.

A complete axle assembly is built like this:

outer spline->outer CV joint->shaft->inner CV joint->cup (also called an inner housing)->inner spline

The CV boot repair instructions are helpful, but they leave the splines attached to the vehicle. This is because you can simply pull the inner CV joint out of the cup, easily disassemble it, and slide the new baffles on from that end.

If you want to remove and replace an entire assembly, including the splines, a much more involved process is required:

OUTER SPLINE: From what I can see, complete disasembly of the wheel is required. This probably will involve removing the brakes, removing that big honkin axle nut, repacking the bearings, etc. Unfortunately, I can't find anything here detailing this. Even the manual seems to be a little sparse.

No, you can disassemble the inner CV per the boot instructions - then remove the hub cover (6 allen bolts) - then remove 1 clip ring on the spline - then just slide the inner CV with shaft out of the hub assembly from the inside.

INNER SPLINE: You have to completely drop the differential to remove the inner splines and cups. There is an excellent tutorial on this.

Yes

Caveat: Depending on how much slack is present, you do not HAVE to replace the inner cup. You can simply purchase an axle assembly which stops at the inner CV (doesn't have the cup/inner housing), and reuse the prexisting cup. However, I've heard that the bearings in the aftermarket CV axle assemblies are smaller than factory, and will rattle around in the cup.

I have no response to that

I would expect however, that if only your outer CV joint is bad, and you've purchased an axle assembly without the inner housing, you could disassemble the new inner CV on on the replacement axle assembly and use the CV joint from the old one instead, couldn't you?

Yes, as long as the short shaft between the CVs has the same spline geometry at the inner CV.

I anyone has more information on removing the wheel assembly to get at the outer CV spline, I'd appreciate it.

Look in the Download Section for Kenny's bearing re-pack instructions. PM me if you can't find it & I'll send you the pdf.

Thanks

-Mike
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Awesome that I don't have to completely take apart the wheel... will look at it today.

Would you recommend changing the cups?

What's the best way to test if they are hosed?

The boots were sealed and were in perfect condition, no grit in the grease, there was a little play in them, but real little, and it might have just been total slack down the drive train to the diff.

Would it be worth the effort of dropping the diff?

I got my axle assemblies from O'Reilly (includes the cup). While playing around with it, it surprised the hell outta me that I was able to pull the inner CV right out of the cup by hand (boot still attached). I immediately pushed it back in and felt around for missing balls and didn't find any, so it looks like it went back together ok, but I don't know why they didn't put a retaining ring in their cup to stop that from happenning.

Anyone have any experience with the O'Reilly assembly?

UPDATE - I pulled the boot off the O'Reilly assemby to see if the shaft geometry matched my old inner CV (intending to keep the old bearings since I'm no longer changing the cup), and discovered why it slid out on me earlier. It's not an Rzeppa joint at all, it's a Tripod joint, thus completely a different architecture. The cup is a bit larger than the stock cup, so that should have given me a clue. I put it back together neatly and returned them to O'Reilly. I've ordered the assemblies from Autozone instead (without the cup). I'll let you know how well it matches up to the original stock inner CV geometry when they come in.

-Mike
    Last edited by mcaramb : 06/28/2011 at 10:23 AM

BTW, here are some instructions for the clip ring you'll need to pull for the outer shaft removal:

http://www.4x4wire.com/isuzu/tech/manualhubs/

You can run your finger along the grooves on the inside of the green cup. Rough with divets & grooves = worn; smooth = good.

If the only play was associated with the outer CVs, then yes, you can probably re-use the inner CV components.

OMG that was easy.

No need to drop the differential, I'm not going to replace the inner splines.

7 allen bolts and one lock ring later, I'm holding an axle in my hands Now that I've figured it all out, I literally had the other one off in under an hour (including jack up, and tire removal time)

I felt inside the cups as you suggested and they are perfectly smooth as were the ballbearings, chase and pivot bearing parts. Break cleaner is your friend. The grease just melts off.

I'm still waiting for the autozone parts to come in (sometime today they swear), but should have it all back together in a few hours if things match up. Will let everyone know.

I may take pics and put together a complete CV axle replacement guide so folks don't have to piecemeal the instructions from one place or the other like I did. Will post soon.

-Mike

Just curious, in a pinch, could I drive it like this with no axles attached?

Or, does there have to be some steel inside the core of the wheel bearings? Without the spline there, it seems like those bearings would be pretty structurally weak.

-Mike

Sorry, I can't answer that one for you. I had disassembled outers to run in mine while the CVs were being re-built.

UPDATE: The AUTOZONE replacement CV axles (WITHOUT the CUP) are indeed much smaller than the original stock. According to my caliper, the complete INNER BEARING assembly is more than 1/8" smaller in diameter from outer edge of one bearing to the outer edge of the bearing 180 degrees across from it. That's after compressing the both assemblys in the comparison inward as much as possible so slack wouldn't skew the result.

That's pretty significant. I don't think I want to put that in the stock cup. My guess is that it would eat itself within a year. If anyone has experience using smaller aftermarket bearings in the cup, I'd like to know how long it's lasted you.

Now, to my idea of simply replacing the bearing on the end of the shaft. Well, that's out. The rebuilt Autozone shaft has a 25 (approx) tooth spline on the inner bearing end. The stock shaft has a 33 (approx) tooth spline. So you can't interchange them. Why they are different, considering these are rebuilds is beyond me. My best guess is that they are rebuilds from a Trooper or something.

So... does anyone besides Autozone sell just the CV Axle without the cup? ie: with a Rzepper joint, not a Tripod?

thanks
    Mike

& yous guys wanted to know why in the ^%$# I rebuilt OEM shafts instead of buying aftermarket ...

BWAAHAAHAA!!!!

Mike, sorry you're going through this frustration. All those aftermarket options looked so promising to me when I was going through it too. Is there a shop in your area that can re-build your OEMs?

BTW, sorry I missed your call the other day. Cell battery was dead that day and just got around to listening to voicemails last night.

OK. After weighing all the options, I decided to go ahead and install the aftermarket slightly-smaller-than-factory Axle assemblies from Autozone (without the inline housing).

I figure at $80 a pop, and only 2.5 hrs of work per side, it was worth the risk of installing them just to see how long they last. So far, they are working fine, however, after a week or so of driving, some noise has finally surfaced. It's not very loud (gets mostly covered by road noise), but it sounds like one of the those old-school spinning noise makers for ballgames, etc.

The folks at Cordone (the actual manufacturer of the refurbs) say that they've never had a complaint, or even been told about the difference in size. I expect that's because the VX ain't like *exactly* like the myriad of other cars this axle is meant for. Well, they know now.

I'll let everyone know if it gets any louder, or if they break. I'll play guinea pig here

-Mike