Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Alleged ABS unit FIX described

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyapollo View Post
    You would need a 4WD system - it has double the valving for the sensors.
    Wha? We've got the el cheapo three channel unit (Bosch 5.4). Corvettes got 4 channel.

leonml, by whole unit if you mean the hydraulic part as well as the EBCM then it would be a lot of effort for probably no reason. The hydraulics hardly ever fail. It's a pain to bleed if you replace the whole thing compared to just replacing the electronics which is almost always the problem. Unfortunately you can't just get any Bosch 5.4 EBCM and use it on a VX. The electronic brake control modules are vehicle specific. Sure it might fit, but the logic flashed into a Dodge Durango's Bosch 5.4 ABS module will be different than what's in our VXes because the brakes, vehicle dynamics, etc are totally different.

To deal with most electronics module failures is quick, relatively cheap and easy though - it's just six torx screws, two nuts and two connectors. Five minutes to take it off, a few more to put it in a box and ship it off to the rebuilder, five minutes to put it back on the vehicle, done. Takes less than 20 minutes and less than a hundred dollars out of your life and you don't have to see that ABS light any more. And then you can pull a trailer without sweating about how bad you're going to jackknife when that bluehair in the Riviera pulls out in front of you!

If the issue is just some broken connectors, I may take it out and try to get a friend at work to rebuild them. He does work on circuit boards all day, this shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPro48 View Post
    Wha?

To deal with most electronics module failures is quick, relatively cheap and easy though - it's just six torx screws, two nuts and two connectors. Five minutes to take it off, a few more to put it in a box and ship it off to the rebuilder, five minutes to put it back on the vehicle, done. Takes less than 20 minutes and less than a hundred dollars out of your life and you don't have to see that ABS light any more.
    Have you actually had an ABS unit for a VX rebuilt? As far as I know no one has yet. It has been discussed here many times and some say it can't be done, others say re-builders will do it but as far as I remember no one actually has had one done.

I wonder if SlowPro's magnet piston movement trick would help excersise the system without jaming on the breaks occassionally? ( I have these new-fangled Michelin LTX MS2's and they don't break loose unless it's glare ice practically.)

Quote Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
    Have you actually had an ABS unit for a VX rebuilt? As far as I know no one has yet. It has been discussed here many times and some say it can't be done, others say re-builders will do it but as far as I remember no one actually has had one done.
    Yes - unfortunately my ABS control module had to be repaired. I think I jinxed it. Had been talking (OK it was more like bragging) to a friend about how the VX was 11 years old and had over 114K miles on it and not even a single light bulb had burned out yet. As usual, retribution was swift. The ABS light came on the next day just to prove ALL bulbs were still working.

So - the ABS control module was the first electrical item to go out on my VX, other than the CD changer, which suffered an untimely death at the hands of the kids. And the wimpy OEM speakers which got a little too much Boom, Boom, Pow one day - also a kid-related death. Hmmmm... maybe Sue should add a question to her "sellers list " regarding whether or not you haul children - they seem to significantly increase the level of entropy levied on a vehicle....

Quote Originally Posted by blacksambo View Post
    I wonder if SlowPro's magnet piston movement trick would help excersise the system without jaming on the breaks occassionally? ( I have these new-fangled Michelin LTX MS2's and they don't break loose unless it's glare ice practically.)
    Sambo, now why in the world would you want to do that? You'd take two hours trying to move those valves by hand through as many cycles and one good 2 second skid would achieve. Do they not have ANY dirt roads where you live? Lotsa rich people in NY so maybe all the roads are paved. Dude, are you a HIGH ROLLER? Confess!!!!

Anyway - you don't need to "exercise" (or exorcise!) the valves - they get they exercise every time you drive the VX as part of the ABS self test procedure. It's called BITE - Built In Test Equipment - each solenoid valve gets cycled as does the pump. Listen carefully and you may hear the pump. I can't after Monday night. They sell some righteous fireworks down in South Cackalac! Tried out some new artillery rounds - brand name was Black Mamba - use a fiberglass launch tube - the display is not as pretty as Excalibur which is what I normally get but great googly moogly they were shockingly loud. Gotta remember the earplugs next year...

OK there you go my friend - everything you need to derail this train.

Yes - unfortunately my ABS control module had to be repaired. I think I jinxed it. Had been talking (OK it was more like bragging) to a friend about how the VX was 11 years old and had over 114K miles on it and not even a single light bulb had burned out yet. As usual, retribution was swift. The ABS light came on the next day just to prove ALL bulbs were still working.

So - the ABS control module was the first electrical item to go out on my VX, other than the CD changer, which suffered an untimely death at the hands of the kids. And the wimpy OEM speakers which got a little too much Boom, Boom, Pow one day - also a kid-related death. Hmmmm... maybe Sue should add a question to her "sellers list " regarding whether or not you haul children - they seem to significantly increase the level of entropy levied on a vehicle....
    It's great to know that they can be rebuilt and fixed at a reasonable cost.

Thanx for the tip, I'll hunt down a dirt road over in Vermont nextdoor.

Ahhhh, not a dirt road in sight, eh? Dude, you ARE a High Roller! Stay away from Vermont though - too many cows. Even with fully exercised ABS you might T-Bone one. VXs don't look as good with bovine-shaped dents. So here's what you do: Since old money high rollers love brick driveways, and old brick is slick when it's wet, next time it rains go visit one of your Country Club buddies and drive about 35 mph up his long brick driveway - and then just when you see the whites in the butler's eyes - stand on the brakes!

Ahhhh, not a dirt road in sight, eh? Dude, you ARE a High Roller! Stay away from Vermont though - too many cows. Even with fully exercised ABS you might T-Bone one. VXs don't look as good with bovine-shaped dents. So here's what you do: Since old money high rollers love brick driveways, and old brick is slick when it's wet, next time it rains go visit one of your Country Club buddies and drive about 35 mph up his long brick driveway - and then just when you see the whites in the butler's eyes - stand on the brakes!
    HAHA

Quote Originally Posted by atilla_the_fun View Post
    Aren't both units sealed? The plastic electronics "brain+solenoid" component should not have any interaction with brake fluid. The brake fluid should be contained inside the valve box. if you look at the picture of the unit split into its two components, you don't notice any brake fluid at the interface of the two parts.
    Just wondering, has anyone actually confirmed the above is true? When the two sections are "easily" detached, there is no fluid leakage or anything else coming out. I suppose the past photos being referenced which could have been taken after pieces were cleaned up a bit(?).