Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: CV boot->ABS sensor->S/S brake lines

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    There's other factors to consider here for me....small town, fewer choices, ....BUT call them and address how we're going to handle the DRIVER's side boot replacement...
    Definitely don't let it slide completely. Let them know you understand but are disappointing but make sure they know there are resources available to them.

Possibly take them some of the information from here as other have posted before.

Just an observation in that you take your VX off road and enjoy it. You can buy a cheaper boot and take the chance of how long it will last. Typically the cheaper boots are thinner and thus less durable. I know RockAuto.com has Beck Arnley boots for a reasonable price and are at times Isuzu parts in their box. I used the MechaTech boots on my VX but don't plan on wheeling mine either. If and when they go out I will probably pony up for a better set.

Just my .02 commentary.

Sue, I have been running boots I bought from Checkers for over 3 years of lifted abuse and they still looked great when I switched out my axle shafts. I think they were Dorman brand and were about $20ish each.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

My guy replaced the inner boot, passenger side with a CarQuest boot. Decided I'm goin' wait on the driver's side for a little while...I'll make an appt, and take the "How To" with me, and try to gently suggest he should be able to replace the inner boot w/o destroying the ABS sensor. HEY LISA....PESSIMISTICALLY PLANNING AHEAD...DO YOU HAVE THE DRIVER'S FRONT ABS SENSOR?....EMAIL ME.....

Glad to hear Roy's front ABS sensor from a Trooper worked for him, prob means my Trooper front ABS sensor will work...

Stainless Steel/kevlar braided lines arrive tomorrow, but prob won't be ready until Tuesday.

Kind of a whacko question, but anybody foresee any problems/issues installing the SS brake lines with the Kilbys or any other issues? Thanks!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Kind of a whacko question, but anybody foresee any problems/issues installing the SS brake lines with the Kilbys or any other issues? Thanks!
    Should be no problem.

Is it me, or do these look a LOT like mec-A-techs...

4 for $54. shipped...

My guy replaced the inner boot, passenger side with a CarQuest boot. Decided I'm goin' wait on the driver's side for a little while...I'll make an appt, and take the "How To" with me, and try to gently suggest he should be able to replace the inner boot w/o destroying the ABS sensor. HEY LISA....PESSIMISTICALLY PLANNING AHEAD...DO YOU HAVE THE DRIVER'S FRONT ABS SENSOR?....EMAIL ME.....

Glad to hear Roy's front ABS sensor from a Trooper worked for him, prob means my Trooper front ABS sensor will work...

Stainless Steel/kevlar braided lines arrive tomorrow, but prob won't be ready until Tuesday.

I replaced my own inner and outer boots and had no problems with the ABS. BUT... just had my tires balanced and rotated and now about every third time I turn the car on, my ABS light comes on.

I used the same boots that Billy used when I bought my rodeo 6 years ago (just did the outers). No signs of cracking or breaking. Thinner is BETTER on outer boots because they have to flex a lot more then the inner ones. The dorman boots are much more flexible then OEM so hold up very well. I have since put them on 2 more rodeos.

I tried to get my abs sensor out when I first did mine but it wouldnt budge. I didnt try hard enough to break it. Since then I just unplug it and remove the 2 brackets that hold the wires. Only takes about 2 minutes and you dont chance trashing the sensor.
    --Dave

Thanks Dave. I'll look for that brand when I get the other side done.

Mechanic called late Friday, said it was ready, but we were out, so tomorrow's the day....UGH...

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Should be no problem.

Is it me, or do these look a LOT like mec-A-techs...

4 for $54. shipped...
    Dub - It's just you.

Sorry, but you set yourself up for that one

Those look similar in material & thickness but it looks like the similarities end there. They are molded to allow the user to cut off sections to match the OD of the Outer Race (green cup). Could be a net benefit to us since I'm sure we would use the largest diameter and that would allow us to use the most effective length causing less stretching during flex.

Hope to be picking up the VX this afternoon & I'll try to get some pix posted of the new boots.

Tom
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Phew, it went fine, main guy was at lunch, so young guy checked me out. Got to ask him about the ABS sensor, saying I was trying to plan for the other side. He said they tried to get it out, lightly tapping on it and the surround and then all of a sudden it cracked in half. I'll be sure to discuss removing the 2 bolts when I have the other side done!

Invoice was reasonable....$38 for boot, no labor at all for the CV/ABS stuff!

Plus I've got a box with some extra parts...knuckle, spindle and some other stuff that came with the ABS sensor from the salvage yard. I have to pick up the box another day, so not sure all what's in it.

Hmmmm, looks like not everybody pays $400 - $500 for a new ABS sensor....wonder why this is so cheap....granted it's not an OEM brand, but are there even any non-OEM sensors for our VX?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-...ht_9027wt_1167

sent a question if he had one that would work with ours.

no luck with him,sent part # and all he said was they were expensive, oh well.