Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: VX Restoration Begins!

VX Restoration Begins!

So as some of you know, my VX sustained some pretty nasty tree rash during a camping trip in 2009 (yeah, that long ago). I've toyed with the idea of getting a complete repaint, but I wanted to see how much I could polish out myself. So I bought this kit:

http://www.autogeek.net/griots-rando...al-buffer.html

I watched the DVD and went at it Sunday. I am pleased to say that almost ALL of the scratches came out, including some of the really nasty ones. I think if I step up to the next level polish I should be able to get the scratches out completely.

I still need to get the hood and tailgate fixed up, because the hood is COVERED with small rock chips and the tailgate has had a dent in it since I bought the VX back in '06. Anyway, I highly recommend this kit to anyone who wants to bring their paint job back to looking awesome, especially for you out there who have not played as hard as I have.

Before: Heavy tree scratches on passenger side:

Before: Heavy damage on passenger side in front of mirror:

Before: Door scratches:

After: Good washing, full clay bar on entire paint job, and polishing:

Here, you can see the same areas, almost completely scratch free!!!

Next step, will be to get the leaks fixed and the hood and tailgate resprayed. Then she will get a new hood insert and headlights installed, and become a full time garage queen....

Bart

Awesome Bart! Having done a ton of severe rash removal on Dave's FJ, and some on mine, that is absolutely fantastic results...especially on black! I might look into some of these products to re-do his FJ, as I know it can be improved.
    Since doing the FJ about 2 yrs ago, I've discovered Mequiar's Medium Cut and some 3M rubbing compound and another 3M product which are more aggressive. Worked great on my VX, but always willing to try new stuff. Have never done a clay bar....I should try that too.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Yeah, it looks even better in person.

The clay bar is pretty amazing actually. It will make your paint feel like a new piece of glass. Griot's Garage sells this stuff called "Speed Shine" that you use with the cleaning clay. It works really well and if you decide to try a clay bar, I definitely recommend the Griot's Garage clay and the Speed Shine. It worked really well. I'd say the whole process only took me about 3-4 hours.

I just order a bunch more of their stuff including the #2 polish.

I can't wait to polish and wax the Impulse. The paint on it is in really good shape so I bet the car will look amazing when done.

Bart

DAMN! That looks worlds different! And you thought you were going to have to repaint the whole thing... good work!
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    DAMN! That looks worlds different! And you thought you were going to have to repaint the whole thing... good work!
    What he said. I've contemplated getting that setup several times in the past but always talk myself out of it. I've seen it done and it doesn't look that difficult. Now that you've done it, is it much simpler and less imitating than it seemed before you started?

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    Thanks!!! And iirc, you have seen the tree rash first hand, so you know how BAD it was.

Quote Originally Posted by samneil2000 View Post
    What he said. I've contemplated getting that setup several times in the past but always talk myself out of it. I've seen it done and it doesn't look that difficult. Now that you've done it, is it much simpler and less imitating than it seemed before you started?
    Honestly, it is SUPER, DUPER, UBER easy. The worst part is that the vibration of the buffer will get to your hands after a while. You need to hold on to that sucker tight. And if you watch the DVD (I watched it once after work and then again right before I started just to make sure I had it right) you will have no problem at all. IMO, this kit is well worth the money, and even someone with no power tool experience can do this. The results are immediate. For some of the really bad scratches I had to make multiple passes and press into the paint a little more than normal but it really makes a huge difference. You just have to make sure you have the pad against the paint when the buffer is on, if you lift the buffer off the paint while it is on, you will certainly spray polish everywhere, and then you need to use some elbow grease and more Speed Shine to clean it off. Anyway, apply a good coating of Stoner Trim Shine on the cladding, and you will have a sick lookin' VX again!

I also ordered the 3" buffer today, because the 6" buffer is a little too big for the pillars and the area above the windows on the side and a few other spots. Plus I ordered the glass polish so I can do my windsheild. I don't know why it took me so long to invest in this stuff, because it really is worth the result. I'll be doing the wife's 911 soon and the Impulse as well.

Bart

Speaking as a detailer, you did a damn good job. Black is absolutely the hardest color to get looking good. Excellent work!

Quote Originally Posted by RabidPony View Post
    Speaking as a detailer, you did a damn good job. Black is absolutely the hardest color to get looking good. Excellent work!
    Thanks!!! I'll be honest, it was really nothing!! I think detailing the interior is harder work than this polishing!!!

Bart
    Last edited by nfpgasmask : 06/07/2011 at 03:57 PM

Thumbs up

I concur with regard to the Griot's system and had posted some results a few years ago: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ghlight=griots

A bit of an investment up front, but great results, particularly on harder to maintain darker paint colors.
    Bren Workman
    Gretna, NE
    (C) 402-312-1992

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wow, what a difference. You can't even tell it was covered in scratches.
    "THEORETICALLY, STILL A TRUCK!"
    2001 VX
    Mods

2008 HUMMER H3

Thumbs up

Those "before" pictures made my heart sink. I'm completely amazed by the results - never would have thought those scratches would come out!

Those results look amazing, especially on difficult Black. Griot's Garage (www.GriotsGarage.com) is just up the street from my house here in Tacoma, WA. They have been in the business for many years and their products are all top-notch quality recognized throughout the industry. They have routine seminar class'es and teach detailing and Cars-N-Caffeine car shows on a regular basis. Griot's Garage just recently purchased their new building a few years ago, which was an old vintage Coca-Cola Bottling Plant. It is now a show piece museum of some very fine automobiles. Check-out their website, and request a catalog.

Thats just amazing Bart.. congrats! Very nice work.

I must assume your cladding was damaged as well. Use anything on it?

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Anyway, apply a good coating of Stoner Trim Shine on the cladding, and you will have a sick lookin' VX again!
    Here ya' go, Grif.

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Thats just amazing Bart.. congrats! Very nice work.

I must assume your cladding was damaged as well. Use anything on it?
    Thanks, guys. Actually, for some reason, the cladding didn't get as scratched up as the paint did going through that overgrown trail. That said, the cladding is scratched in some spots, but those scratches disappear when coated with Trim Shine. As you can see in the pic above, the cladding looks dark and clean. That's the beauty of our cladding. Its pretty durable stuff!!!

Bart