Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Powder Coating Rims and Parts - photoshop

Powder Coating Rims and Parts - photoshop

I have found what I think is a very reasonable powder coater in my local area.
    $250-$275 for a full set of 4 rims and includes sandblasting and possible metallic. This will be my first powder coating exp, so I am a new newbie to the options.

What do you guys think?

My plans are to powder coat the stock 18's and throw on some 33-35 MT tires. I have never had huge problems with the offsets of other rims but I have heard it quite a few times on here that the stock rim is the best rim to use..never cared for that idea but after thinking of powder coating them I may be set on it.

For some reason I can not open "my pics" and select one to appear here. I would like to see if someone here that is good with photoshop could take the picture with my stock rims (below in sig) and do one gold, one bronze (both gearing towards the rally Subaru color) and one white (like the pearl white borbets).

I think the price sounds awesome, if it all works out right I am going to sell my Pro-comps and the 20's set and just stick with this set only.

Black chrome looks sweet also!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Does it sound like a good price to you?

Really needing a photoshop!

Price is good! IIRC I paid around $300
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

I think it sounds like a good price, too. I paid $400 to have a set painted, but that included removing the wheels / tires, fix curb rash on one, balance & put everything back together.

white on white:

It doesnt look that bad. If I get home from work early, I can try to color it in the bronze.

Quote Originally Posted by atilla_the_fun View Post
    white on white:
    x2. I like the "All White"!!! Kinda' like having modern looking White Wagon Wheels in 5-spoke (instead of the traditional 8-spoke wagon wheels). Another idea would be to do a two-tone powdercoat-- for example, Red outer rim edges with White interior spokes; or maybe a Gold outer rim edge with White interior spokes. Just talk to your powdercoater guy for some ideas. A talented powdercoating shop can do some very trick and amazing things with various colors to make your VX truly stand-out. They even have "chameleon" powdercoat paint that changes to a rainbow of colors, which would be very trick on wheels.

You mentioned maybe going with 35's. The very best 35" O.D. tire size for the VX using OEM 18x7 rims is the 285/75R18. Of which there are only four(4) tires made in this rare size, and each one is unique on its own accord. They are:

285/75R18 (35" O.D.)

A. Toyo - A/T. The only AT made in this size.
    B. Toyo - M/T. The only traditional-style MT in this size.
    C. Maxxis - MT-762 "BigHorn". The only studdable tire in this size.
    D. Good/Year - Wrangler M/T-R with Kevlar. The only asymmetrical tire in this size.

Since your VX is lifted, using the OEM 18x7 rims in conjunction with 285/75R18 (35" O.D.) size tires should be "bolt-on perfect" with little or no modification.

Last edited by Riff Raff : 05/31/2011 at 06:20 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    Since your VX is lifted, using the OEM 18x7 rims in conjunction with 285/75R18 (35" O.D.) size tires should be "bolt-on perfect" with little or no modification.

Um, I think he will require a good amount of trimming and BFHing!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Um, I think he will require a good amount of trimming and BFHing!
    That's what is commonly meant by "bolt on perfect" in the tire industry....

This price would include mount/balance/unmount of wheel and etc.

He is roughly an hour away but I plan to make a trip to the shop here by the end of the week I hope. This guy is roughly half the price of the locals which were average $150 per wheel.

Could anyone do the gold and bronze colors? I have always for some reason liked that look on certain vehicles. The white on white for sure something different which I like. I may play around with some two tone ideas.

And I will probably stick with 33's instead!

white on bronze:

I prefer white on white

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385 View Post
    The white on white for sure something different which I like. I may play around with some two tone ideas.

And I will probably stick with 33's instead!
    The Gold kinda' looks like dirty wheels fresh outa' the mud hole pit that were never cleaned. The All-White looks great; but as mentioned, I bet a two-tone BRIGHT RED outer edge rim (complete outer "dish" in red) with interior WHITE spokes (with bright red Center Cap background color using a white or chrome lettered "VX" emblem on Center Cap) would look simply stunning!!! Leave the shank (sides) of the Center Caps chrome, and install some Red Anodized Lug Nuts (Gorilla Brand) for the finished look. Especially on an Ironman edition with red interior seats (color coordinated to the max).

Here are some tire O.D. options for you to consider when shopping for tires:

A. 32.59" O.D. = 285/65R18 (Common)
    B. 33.16" O.D. = 275/70R18 (Common)
    C. 33.71" O.D. = 285/70R18 (Toyo - M/T only)
    D. 34.26" O.D. = 295/70R18 (Nitto - A/T & M/T only)
    E. 34.83" O.D. = 285/75R18 (Toyo, Maxxis, Good/Year only)

Last edited by Riff Raff : 05/31/2011 at 09:35 PM

I have a feeling that the stock rims will either only look good for you in white or stock chrome. The two-tone approach doesn't jive with the spoke pattern. The red outline would be nice on a wheel with more spokes (or fatter spokes like the FJ rims in a previous thread).
    I have a busted rim in my closet, and if I ever have the energy I would like to try the black-chrome spray kit (14$) to see how it would come out. It may look nice with my Kaiser Silver.

I wonder if just the inner half, and backside of the wheel could be done? That seem to be where all my flaking is going on. The outside face is beautiful, but look past that to the inside of the rim, it's peeling and bubbling. I would think foxfire, or black for the color on mine.....
    John, is this place an hour north of you???? That would be getting close to me!

Here ya go:

Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"