Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: overheating is back

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
    I would imagine if you modify your driving habits then your vehicle would no longer overheat. If you have to drive at 5k RPM for 15-20 minutes then just don't drive like that and it wouldn't give you issues. I don't ever need to drive my VX like that, even when I'm goofing off in the dirt.

I'm sure the factory system should be strong enough to cool the engine under hard driving, but extreme driving for 20 minutes would put almost any factory stock cooling system to the test, and repeating that would eventually cause parts to fail.
    i did that just to see if i still over heated. if I drive on long distance on an expressway at posted speed I will still overheat. it just happens faster if I drive a little harder. the drive was mostaly at 3000 rpm but passing vehicles was at the 5roll mark
    Last edited by zadam123 : 07/17/2011 at 07:47 PM

also I was wondering is there anyway this could be a head gasket if I don't have it gas is in my radiator now,smoke or loss of power?

Maybe you covered this in the other threads you mentioned, but I didn't see anything about it here so just thought I'd ask to make sure the simple stuff has been covered. Have you checked your anti-freeze mixture lately? An approximate 50/50 mix is generally recommended, since straight anti-freeze or straight water doesn't have the cooling efficiency of a mix, and it's easily checked using one of those $1 testers you can get at any automotive store.

Just bringing it up so as not to overlook the possible obvious. And not that it should be needed under normal operating conditions, but something like the coolant system additive Water Wetter (I think Royal Purple also makes a similar additive) may be worth consideration until the problem is determined.

antifreeze mixture is good

Quote Originally Posted by zadam123 View Post
    antifreeze mixture is good
    ITS FINALLY OVER

Meaning you solved the problem...or something else? That had sort of an ominous tone to it depending on how it was read.

ITS FINALLY OVER!

On a hope and a prayer i brought my radiator to a radiator shop. It cost me 100 to have it professionaly cleaned and checked out(they took it out an put it back in) He told me it was pretty cloged up maby 50% so they blew it out top an bottem (this is what the last guy told me he did for 2 days but for some reason i didnt believe him) this guy also checked my a/c for me since it hasent worked after the last guy installed the heater core (they told me one had nothing to do with the other, liars) also since they did the heater core my compressor keeps comming on and off every 5 minutes , they said it was a coinsidence that it happend after the heater core.

so this guy blew out the radiator and said there was to much freon in there probably when they did the heater core they needed to replenish it and added to much and the final result ....A DRIVE HOME WITH MY A/C KICK'IN STRONG WITHOUT OVERHEATING, EVEN WHEN DRIVING IT HARD !!!!!!!

WOOHOO I GOT MY BABY BACK.

Thumbs up

ITS FINALLY OVER!

On a hope and a prayer i brought my radiator to a radiator shop. It cost me 100 to have it professionaly cleaned and checked out(they took it out an put it back in) He told me it was pretty cloged up maby 50% so they blew it out top an bottem (this is what the last guy told me he did for 2 days but for some reason i didnt believe him) this guy also checked my a/c for me since it hasent worked after the last guy installed the heater core (they told me one had nothing to do with the other, liars) also since they did the heater core my compressor keeps comming on and off every 5 minutes , they said it was a coinsidence that it happend after the heater core.

so this guy blew out the radiator and said there was to much freon in there probably when they did the heater core they needed to replenish it and added to much and the final result ....A DRIVE HOME WITH MY A/C KICK'IN STRONG WITHOUT OVERHEATING, EVEN WHEN DRIVING IT HARD !!!!!!!

Congrats zadam I hope this is the final chapter of you quest in finding the overheating issue and i think you finally did......The shop you was dealing with was the real issue.

I hate shops that does want your business,but fails doing the job right
    and also lying to you.

Congrats and have fun,you still can enjoy the rest of the summer with blow cooling A/C.
    Dakar was just the begining.

Awesome! I know how good it feels to finally get that problem fixed. Funny thing is I got mine fixed over 2 years ago and I still catch myself checking the temperature gauge on a regular basis when it's hot outside.
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by phines View Post
    Awesome! I know how good it feels to finally get that problem fixed. Funny thing is I got mine fixed over 2 years ago and I still catch myself checking the temperature gauge on a regular basis when it's hot outside.
    There's nothing wrong with checking the gauges. Don't feel guilty.

ITS FINALLY OVER!

Please please please, get a written report for the guy that fixed your problems, and take that and the account back to the first shop.
    Even if you don't get anything out of them, it should teach them what the should be looking for the next time they come across an overheating issue.

I would just give them the information and see what their response is.
    If they don't offer any refund, ask for 50%.
    If they are total a**holes, walk out and just post a review of their service on every site you can.

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

Quote Originally Posted by PK View Post
    Please please please, get a written report for the guy that fixed your problems, and take that and the account back to the first shop.
    Even if you don't get anything out of them, it should teach them what the should be looking for the next time they come across an overheating issue.

I would just give them the information and see what their response is.
    If they don't offer any refund, ask for 50%.
    If they are total a**holes, walk out and just post a review of their service on every site you can.

PK
    thank you for all the responses on this issue

funny thing is they told me they guarentee there work but when i said the car still overheated they said all they will do is try to find the problem, then said they wanted to have the radiator sent out and would cost more money to do it, how is that guarenting you work by telling me its definataly the thermostat and then telling me it will cost me more money to find the real problem? so i doubt i will get anything back. but will absolutaly post neg reviews on sites and maby even the BBB

as far as the temp guage , when this thing rose it rose quick with no symptoms of anything except the loss of my a/c. Is there anyting i can buy to add like a warning buzzer to let me know if it starts to overheat? I dont want to go through this again.

ITS FINALLY OVER!

Good to hear zadam.

And for what my opinion is worth, the shop that told you the heater core has nothing to do with the A/C system was correct. The only way the heater core can be used to aid in cooling is when the engine is running hot and the heater is turned on. (The additional cooling effect is accomplished by incorporating the extra fluid capacity in the heater core and the heater hoses themselves).

They also proved themselves correct when they determined that the A/C system had too much freon in the system. That can have just as adverse an effect on the systems' cooling capabilities as not having enough freon.

While it sux that it cost you unnecessary $$ in the process because of the first shop, it's good to hear that you found a shop who knew what they were doing and got the VX fixed. Happy summer cruising!

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Have you had the radiator checked? Could have a tube or two obstructed which would cause those symthoms.
    Dang...I must of been a mechanic in a previous life
    Glad to hear all is well with your VX again. Just sux when you take it to the guys that are supposed to know what they are doing and the have no clue!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Dang...I must of been a REAL mechanic in a previous life
    Fixed that for you so you weren't just a "parts changer"... like me!