Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: About a hitch?

Talking About a hitch?

Hey all, it's time for me to finally get that darn hitch I've been putting off for a while. So, where do I find the hide away hitch, or the stick out one? How much do they run for?...I know this is a dumb question but I'll ask anyway, are they universal or is there a specific one that I need to get for the VX? Thank you guys.

Whats the Point of Living, if You don't go BIG.....
    Turning My VX Into Rally VX

I can still get the 'Tone Clone' hidden hitch made for $175 (in fact Welder Guy has one sitting on the shelf ready for powder coating).

Not sure where everyone was getting the 'droopy drawers' version - I'll let the others chime in on that type.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Question

how much would shipping cost? like for central florida for example.

Free shipping - I'm just helping out the VX family.

Question, The Tone clone .. mounts to the crossmember on the rear of the frame, right? How much weight can it really hold? wouldn't it be better if it had been mounted to the sides?

I'm also looking for the better-looking Tone-style hitch. I know it's a class 3, 2"... but how much tongue weight can it (on the VX) handle given the mounting strategy? - TIA

I've read on here that the tongue weight rating is somewhere in the 400 lbs. range, but I've found that my Tone hitch will start leaning at around 200-250 lbs. jmayer40 you are correct in how the hitch mounts, as well as in your observation as to why it leans. If the hitch were mounted to the frame rails as in the Curt/Dylan style, the whole truck would sit low in the back but the hitch wouldn't lean. The downside to the frame-rail approach is that force exerted on the hitch can cause the frame to twist, whereas the Tone-style only impacts the cross member.

Wiser folks please correct me if I'm wrong on any of that.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    If you intend to do ANY off road driving...

..IMO the exposed Dylan Curtis hitch is the way to go.

Acts as a rear skid plate..protects yer A.$.$.

Trust me...my car knows!

JFYI!

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

great price. What can i tow with it. I'm looking to buy a 15-20 foot boat and i need a hitch asap, but can the VX and the hitch handle that kind of weight?

Quote Originally Posted by CoastieCosta567 View Post
    great price. What can i tow with it. I'm looking to buy a 15-20 foot boat and i need a hitch asap, but can the VX and the hitch handle that kind of weight?
    I believe there is a "what have you towed" thread somewhere that discusses all that. If I recall correctly, the hitch should be able to handle pulling more than the VX is safely capable of pulling.

here ya go....this is a good start..

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=18543

Quote Originally Posted by jmayer40 View Post
    Question, The Tone clone .. mounts to the crossmember on the rear of the frame, right? How much weight can it really hold? wouldn't it be better if it had been mounted to the sides?
    Yes & yes. The upgrade version that Welder Guy is prototyping now does exactly that. It will also replace the little tube bumper thinggy behind the cladding.

Quote Originally Posted by a745035 View Post
    I'm also looking for the better-looking Tone-style hitch. I know it's a class 3, 2"... but how much tongue weight can it (on the VX) handle given the mounting strategy? - TIA
    There's a pic in my gallery of 3 guys standing on my SuperBumper ... no sagging detectable.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    I've read on here that the tongue weight rating is somewhere in the 400 lbs. range, but I've found that my Tone hitch will start leaning at around 200-250 lbs. jmayer40 you are correct in how the hitch mounts, as well as in your observation as to why it leans. If the hitch were mounted to the frame rails as in the Curt/Dylan style, the whole truck would sit low in the back but the hitch wouldn't lean. The downside to the frame-rail approach is that force exerted on the hitch can cause the frame to twist, whereas the Tone-style only impacts the cross member.

Wiser folks please correct me if I'm wrong on any of that.
    Yer right on all points. I actually deformed that crossmember when I installed my hitch (just tightening the bolts). It's really not the ideal mounting point. If we weren't upgrading the design, I'd probably pound out the depression in my crossmember and sleeve the holes.

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    If you intend to do ANY off road driving...

..IMO the exposed Dylan Curtis hitch is the way to go.

Acts as a rear skid plate..protects yer A.$.$.

Trust me...my car knows!

JFYI!

jo
    I have no response to that.

Thanks for the info Jamas and Tom4Bren. If the Tone-style hitch can handle 200-250 lbs. of tongue weight, that should be enough for me. Just want the convenience of being able to haul small stuff with it, like my 8x7 junk trailer which really shouldn't ever have more than 2,000 lbs. in it anyway. (axle rating) IF that much, I'd haul it with my Avalanche anyway. As for rock crawling with my VX... not any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by CoastieCosta567 View Post
    Hey all, it's time for me to finally get that darn hitch I've been putting off for a while. So, where do I find the hide away hitch, or the stick out one? How much do they run for?...I know this is a dumb question but I'll ask anyway, are they universal or is there a specific one that I need to get for the VX? Thank you guys.
    Dude what's the deal with your picture, is that you? Anyway I got a nice hitch put on so if you want the make model and picture let me know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Milwaukee WI

Status update on the upgraded hidden hitch:

I spoke to Welder Guy last night. He's been swamped this week and plans to fab the initial prototype next week. When that's done, I'll take the VX to his shop for fit check & tweek. I'm hoping to have it final by the 10th of June. Then it'll just be the time for him to fab up the first 2 units (1 keeper & 1 to sell). After that, he'll make them as ordered. Neither one of us are deep enough in the pocket to fab up a bunch to keep on the shelf awaiting orders.

I'll keep you posted.

Tom