Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: About a hitch?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Status update on the upgraded hidden hitch:

I spoke to Welder Guy last night. He's been swamped this week and plans to fab the initial prototype next week. When that's done, I'll take the VX to his shop for fit check & tweek. I'm hoping to have it final by the 10th of June. Then it'll just be the time for him to fab up the first 2 units (1 keeper & 1 to sell). After that, he'll make them as ordered. Neither one of us are deep enough in the pocket to fab up a bunch to keep on the shelf awaiting orders.

I'll keep you posted.

Tom
    sweet, let me know mae, i'll buy it in a few weeks, just got a cool little boat, used my dads truck to get it, but would be deff. needing a hitch soon, but now gots to get the boat sea worthy. Paid only 250 bucks said the chicken, .

Whats the Point of Living, if You don't go BIG.....
    Turning My VX Into Rally VX

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by djvx View Post
    Dude what's the deal with your picture, is that you? Anyway I got a nice hitch put on so if you want the make model and picture let me know.
    lol, no not me, but i like it, funny looking gnome i think . Yeah Mae let me see some pic's, would like to see different options.

Yes & yes. The upgrade version that Welder Guy is prototyping now does exactly that. It will also replace the little tube bumper thinggy behind the cladding.

Yer right on all points. I actually deformed that crossmember when I installed my hitch (just tightening the bolts). It's really not the ideal mounting point. If we weren't upgrading the design, I'd probably pound out the depression in my crossmember and sleeve the holes.
    WelderGuy made my hitch. Tom can you tell me which parts are which so I'm clear?

VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by CoastieCosta567 View Post
    Hey all, it's time for me to finally get that darn hitch I've been putting off for a while. So, where do I find the hide away hitch, or the stick out one? How much do they run for?...I know this is a dumb question but I'll ask anyway, are they universal or is there a specific one that I need to get for the VX? Thank you guys.
    Hey Coastie....I just remembered....last week in Moab, Greg (Orion) mentioned he had a used Tone style hitch he was looking to sell. Maybe contact him.

Sorry Sue - procrastination is my middle name.

That piece that may go away is what your shakle is connected to so I'll see if we can keep it.
    Last edited by tom4bren : 06/06/2011 at 08:48 AM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Who is this Welder Guy and how do I reach him?

I gots me a hankerin' for a hitch!

It's a guy I work with who does welding on the side. I'll call him tonight for an update (he prefers not to mess with the whole sales/packaging/shipping thang so you hafta go through me).

Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
    Who is this Welder Guy and how do I reach him?

I gots me a hankerin' for a hitch!
    Don't forget, Orion (Greg) has a used "Tone" style hitch for sale.

Tom4, no problem at all man. Thanks for being the ambassador for our group here. Let me know what I need to get you. PM me if that's protocol, whatever.

Sue, good looking out. I'm aiming to do two things at once here (well more than that actually, but these are related): install a hitch, and install a front and read Ron/Rowhard "skidplate." Okay, add this to the possibly-related list also - a bull bar, because it might intersect the front skid plate mounting. (Where to find a bull bar?) Anyway, I see you have that same setup - looks great! My understanding is that Welder Guy's hitches are "Tone style," and all things being equal, I'd prefer to go new - but if Greg's is in good shape, I'll be happy to work with him! I'll send a PM and give you a mention. Cheers!

Ciao gang,
    -V

If you want it quick, Greg's is prolly your better bet. Welder guy is swamped with jobs at the moment (last I spoke with him - he was fixing everything damaged on a front loader that fell off it's trailer on the highway).

I can get Greg's powder coated for you if you wish.

Curt Hitch

Mounts to the frame so far superior. I bought one for $170 including shipping hauled a sports car full of stuff cross country no problem except excessive oil use
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    Mounts to the frame so far superior. I bought one for $170 including shipping hauled a sports car full of stuff cross country no problem except excessive oil use
    Yah, but it's all about the asthetics.

'sides, Welder guy should have the upgraded version out soon. It'll have all the benefits of your fugly hitch without being ... well fugly.

Yah, but it's all about the asthetics.

'sides, Welder guy should have the upgraded version out soon. It'll have all the benefits of your fugly hitch without being ... well fugly.

Welder guy should have the upgraded version out soon. It'll have all the benefits of your fugly hitch without being ... well fugly.
    I can't wait. Will that fit nicely in the already cut out portion of the cladding?

Quote Originally Posted by JAMAS View Post
    I can't wait. Will that fit nicely in the already cut out portion of the cladding?
    That's the plan. Here's how the design considerations went:

Take the Tone design and stretch it out to reach from frame to frame.

OK - but then the tube bumper needs to go away

OK - the hitch will be your bumper now (actually stronger than the tube anyway) but now the lower cladding bolts to ... thin air

OK - replicate the cladding mounting features to the hitch

OK - but now the bracket that everyone attaches the shackle to on the passenger side is in the way

OK - remove bracket, don't need no stinkin shackle - just get a receiver mounted mr scarey hook from Northern Tool ($20)

OK - But KAT needs her receiver pin relocated (she's special)

OK - But Dub needs a skull engraved on his

OK - But JAMAS needs his powder coated a special color to match his cargo boxes

OK - But circmand STILL ain't happy wit it