Thread: Is something leaking?

Is something leaking?

I've been noticing that there is an excessive amount of grime built up on the top of my engine (i think they're called the cylinder heads?) - around where the spark plugs go in. My guess is that some oil is seaping out from somewhere, but I can't really determine where, unless it could be from around the plugs. Can someone tell me where this is coming from, and what I need to do to fix it?

I'm not sure if it's related, but I've noticed that the performance has been declining a bit in the past few months, despite a few performance mods (PV Muffler, Cone Filter).

Any advice would be appreciated!

Is it only on the oil cap side? Or is it around both valve covers by the spark plugs?

If it's just the oil cap side then it is most liley run off from an oil change.
    Live Free or DIE!

Re: Is something leaking?

Originally posted by kpaske
    I've been noticing that there is an excessive amount of grime built up on the top of my engine (i think they're called the cylinder heads?) - around where the spark plugs go in. My guess is that some oil is seaping out from somewhere, but I can't really determine where, unless it could be from around the plugs. Can someone tell me where this is coming from, and what I need to do to fix it?

I'm not sure if it's related, but I've noticed that the performance has been declining a bit in the past few months, despite a few performance mods (PV Muffler, Cone Filter).

Any advice would be appreciated!
    Steam it all off, then check to see if and where it returns.
    NAVIGATOR

It's on both sides, but moreso on the driver's side.

As far as steaming goes - how do I do that? I've been thinking of taking it to one of those DIY car washes and cleaning up my engine compartment, but I've never really done that. Aren't there a few parts in there that can't get wet? Or can I just spray away and let it dry (like a Humvee )?

Spray away... lightly.

I regularly spray my engine with the hose and a little degreaser. Just take it easy and don't spray too long, just run the hose over the engine quickly. Use a rag to wipe the engine down and make it shiny.

Originally posted by kpaske
    It's on both sides, but moreso on the driver's side.

As far as steaming goes - how do I do that? I've been thinking of taking it to one of those DIY car washes and cleaning up my engine compartment, but I've never really done that. Aren't there a few parts in there that can't get wet? Or can I just spray away and let it dry (like a Humvee )?
    I use Foamy Engine Brite degreaser on mine, never had a problem. Make sure the engine is cool, as in do it in the morning before you drive, spray on the degreaser and let it sit for about 15 minutes, then hose it off. I blast mine with a water jet, heck some just drive thiers thru pools of water Never had a problem, but then I use good common sense and avoid getting electrical components too wet and avoid geting degreaser on belts, hoses and other ruber parts, just the oily metal parts the need degreasing. Hope that helps