Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: V-LEDs Projector Headlight Install

Yeah, I really spent my time getting those things super tight, but since all components that tightened down were made out of metal all it took was some good pressure from the inside to push threads as far out the back side as possible and some good turning force from some huge pliers, and they do not really bounce much at all when hitting bumps. I mean they do bounce a little but I am a perfectionist and they pass my standard, they are not loose. Good luck tightening them down, and please share some photos. I am wondering how the light output will be. Mine is far better than OEM HID :-)

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by ramathorn View Post
    Did you have any problems making the projector snug against the housing? I feel like mine are a little too loose.
    Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    I purchased a projector from China for fit testing a had the same issue with getting it snug. I'm hoping the Morimoto Mini projectors from retrofit source won't have the same issues since they're the real deal (and cost a lot more).
    The quality seems great, and I'm happy with the beam, but i have to work on tightening them. Whenever i hit a bump they move a little more than they should.
    Ok fellas...what about cutting a shim ring out of gasket material (it'll take the heat), & installing that between the projector base & the housing?

Seems to me like that'd take all the wiggle out of the assembly, & be nearly invisible if it were black, or if you used some hi temp black paint, or even a black sharpie marker.

Don't like that idea?...how about some 3M double stick...

Or am I looking at this wrong...
    Last edited by Ldub : 08/15/2012 at 05:41 AM

I tightened everything up and took her for a test drive, less bouncing around. There is a little, but something I can live with. I just put my 285/65s on my stock wheels and I'm just a little nervous when I crank those tbars it will make them shake more.

Overall happy with the purchase, although they are so tight I'm afraid i wont be able to remove them if I ever need to. Oh well. I've been hitting up the gym, what can I say? Haha. One of my headlights is all messed up and cracked already, not due to the einstall though. Hopefully I can find a replacement, I'm learning it might be impossible though. Any suggestions?

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow. It looks mean.

Larry, mine came with a white rubber gasket exactly like what you are describing and it works perfectly.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    I guess i'll just plan on wrenching it into place... and maybe some thread locker will ensure it stays put.

One of my headlights is all messed up and cracked already, not due to the einstall though. Hopefully I can find a replacement, I'm learning it might be impossible though. Any suggestions?

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow. It looks mean.
    I have an extra lense that will be available after i'm finished. Is that what you need?

I can also vouch for TRS (the retrofit source), they have awesome products. I did a retrofit on my Rodeo last January and I love it. To the guys that bought theirs from them, which projectors did you purchase? There are several different versions of the Morimoto Mini D2S, and different versions of the Mini H1.

Both of them have their advantages and disadvantages. I have the Mini D2S in my headlights and I custom made some off-road lights with the Mini H1 5.0 (the newest version that just came out not long ago, also has a built in foreground limiter) and loved them. I already sold the H1 projectors out of my off-road lights since i'm going to be experimenting with other lights, but I do have some pics.

I'll post the pics up tonight when I have access to my personal computer for anyone interested.

P.S. I snugged mine down really well and they don't vibrate at all, just be careful not to go overboard and crack the plastic. Remember these are just bolted onto the reflector so it's possible it's the reflector vibrating since it has a lot of extra weight on it, and tightening the projector isn't going to help that.

I got the Mini D2S, Five3 ballasts & 5000k bulbs in the mail yesterday. I was fit testing with a knock off Mini H1 unit and didn't realize there was a size difference until I opened the box yesterday... oops. Luckily, I checked the fitment today and the DS2 should fit the VX headlight nicely.

Really curious to see your off road light retro...

Good choice, I love my D2S's in my headlights. I'm running them with the 50w 5five ballast and 6000k 5five bulbs. I know it's not recommended to run those in the Mini's since they are more prone to burning the bowls due to the extra heat, but when I pulled mine apart this month (after 8 months of usage) they bowls still look perfect. No bubbling or anything so i'm going to keep running them. I ran cheap Xentec 35w ballast and Mori 3five 5000k bulbs in the MH1 projectors for my offroad lights.

Here are a couple pics. I never got a pic of the glass installed in the off-road lights while on my Rodeo, but you get the idea. I had to remove the glass to get them aimed properly. Since they were also bi-xenon I wired them into my headlight high beams, so when the headlight highs came on, the off-road lights highs came on.

Output pics of the MH1 off-road lights againt a wall..

My headlights on along with the off-road lights.. My headlights are 6000k, and the off-road lights are 5000k so that's why there is a color difference.

High beams (remember when I flip the high beams on the headlights on, it turns the high beams on the off-road lights on). As you can tell i'd probably blind people a mile away :lol:

Here are some more output pics of just my D2S headlights.

Low beam on road..

High beam on road..

What it looks like when behind someone. Low beam.

High beam.

Across a field pointed at a fence. Low beam.

High beam.

OK i am sold send me a pair what the price i have the hid.
    :

If you want the complete retrofit kit, here are the links to them.

D2S: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=237

MH1: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=227

Which one should you choose? Honestly that's up to you. Most people say the MH1's are better than the D2S, but that's debatable. The new v5 H1 projectors that come in those kits have a nice curved cutoff shield for a sharper cutoff line, and also has a foreground limiter built into them, and have the squirrel finders blocked. I personally like mine without the foreground limiter and open squirrel finders, mainly because I like seeing directly in front of my truck, and the squirrel finders help light up signs.

Also, the Morimoto HID kits that come with these kits are absolutely awesome. Great warm up times, don't flicker, and last a long time. My 50w headlights (with the morimoto 5five ballast) warmed up WAY faster than the 35w Xentec Ebay ballast, and one ballast seemed like it wasn't working properly since one side was a bit dimmer than the other. That's not the case with the Morimoto stuff from the retrofit source, so be sure not to try and cheap out and use a crappy HID kit.

Hey looks great Clipper and nice idea for the fog lights.

Now after seeing Littlebeast's updated pics and your light output shots, I'm amped up to get my projectors installed. I'm modifying the headlight bezel for some LEDs before I can go ahead with the full install. Hopefully I'll get a good start this weekend... I know I can't wait too much longer.

Thanks, if you guys need any recommendations or help let me know. I've already done 3 retrofits so I know just about anything you need to know about installing these babies.

Be sure to post pics!

Vxorado Sorry I went MIA for a few days. I have a cracked lens and all the housing pieces are crap inside. The lens is my number 1 priority though, to stop moisture from getting in there. How much would you want for it??