Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Post All Moab Trip Pics/adventures Here

Quote Originally Posted by MeowMix View Post
    Oh cool! We should get a beer or something at some point or another before I leave the state. I don't expect to be back anytime soon...this summer is kind of like my last hurrah before the tough part of school starts for me, so I may disappear at times for the next two years or so, lol.
    Let me know if you wander in to Salt Lake City, me Justin and Mike can show you what's what.
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

Here is the broken front differential outside, I imagine it is going to look a lot worse inside!

Wow Mike, you did a good job. That diff is made out of some pretty stout stuff so to put a crack in it like that took some doing.

On the "bright" side, at least it's the front diff ($) and not the transfer case ($$$). Good luck getting your girl back together and let us know if we can help in any way.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Wow, wouldnt have thought it was the diff. Guess we will all know for next time if it happens again. I thought for sure it was the t-case. Glad to know even with the chain drive they are apparently stronger then the diff. Would have thought cv's would be snapping before the diff did though.

If I knew it was the front diff instead of t-case we could have easily gotten you home in rear wheel drive. Just leave the front shaft disconnected and pull the front flanges for the cv's. Swap on some manual hubs if we had to.
    --Dave

Mike, how was your fluid in your front diff? Enough lube? Maybe old lube?

Bart

Mike, while you have the front end out for repairs it would be a good time to have your front diff brackets modified to drop your diff a bit to relieve the angles on your cv's. Also from the damage to the case I would be willing to bet that there may have been a pre-existing problem in there...as Bart was referencing to earlier, maybe that crack was there and you had been running with it dry or near dry.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Either that or his diff was seeping at the axle seal (like mine has been doing for the last 3 years) and he ran the front fluid low....that's what I would think. I just can't see how this would happen without breaking the CVs first. The gears must have been binding due to low/old lube in the diff.

Bart

You dont know me very well. Mine does not leak anything. I have spent a lot of time under there sanding and painting the under side. There was nothing obviously wrong. 4x4 and TOD worked great the day b4 on Steel Bender trail. I am an Amsoil dealer. The first thing I did was change all of the fluids.

Pretty sure the damage is due to user error!

I will be looking into the drop brackets during this repair.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Ditto here....

Quote Originally Posted by mhill View Post
    Pretty sure the damage is due to user error!

I will be looking into the drop brackets during this repair.
    I'm still chewing it all over...but 4.77's and a rear locker is a possible solution for me too.
    Diff drop brackets for sure...
    Drill my right skinny peddle foot to make it lighter.....

Maybe we should both talk to Indy 4x4 about a 2 for 1 deal!

jo

PS...

I dont understand how your front diff was "silent' on the tow off the trail...???
    Your front wheels/shafts were still rotating...so the diff should of been NOISY...

...unless its TOTAL MUSH...

VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Since my 4.77 install a couple of years ago, I have stock front and rear diff 3rd member's if anyone is interested. Both are open as I took the stock LSD out and put in the new 4.77's. Not sure how much they are worth. But I think I bought the 4.77's under or just at $200 each so I would let go of these probably well under that.

Hell's Revenge:

Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Quote Originally Posted by mhill View Post
    Here is the broken front differential outside, I imagine it is going to look a lot worse inside!
    That's still a major bummer Mike, but I'm glad to hear it was less money in repair bills than was previously thought...better the front diff than the transfer case! I hope everything goes as smoothly as possible from here on out!

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak View Post
    Let me know if you wander in to Salt Lake City, me Justin and Mike can show you what's what.
    SLC is my next stop! I'll probably leave CO Springs very early Saturday morning, since independence pass is supposed to reopen Friday, and I wanted to see it this time, instead of going through Denver again...so I guess I kind of have a plan, lol. ...I'll be in touch.

Cool pics Justin!

Did anyone by chance get any video of me "ice skating" on Tip Over Challenge?

Well you know I was spotting from the top Billy... anyone else have some footage of either one of us on TOC?

Steel Bender: