Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Post All Moab Trip Pics/adventures Here

It kind of sucked that I had to leave before the sun came out. Sorry to hear that several people left with major damage (especially Mike with his pristine '99). I had a great time, meeting a lot of new & wonderful people and seeing some familiar faces (was going to say "old friends", but didn't want to give Lisa a complex)

I've got a few dozen pics that I've yet to get off the camera. But I'll do it soon.

The VehiCROSS is an amazing vehicle and there's no reason to baby it on the trail. I'm not saying everyone should be as crazy as TriAthlete, but I don't think you should leave it sitting in the parking lot either.

I have a ton of photos, though things are still crazy in my world: at the moment I'm in Colorado Springs, still wandering around the west end of the country like some transient drifter on my fabulous trip to nowhere...I'm about 1200 miles from my home in WA. I'll probably not post photos of the fun stuff (Moab) until I get home. No idea when that will be, but it'll be one of these days, lol.

So Much Fun So Little Time!

Made it home safe an hour ago. I ran the engine hard all way home, I was doing 75 almost all way with the little 4 banger. If you guys didnt know allready I broke my front differential. I havent pulled the third member yet but it is not gonna be pretty. I do have a spare so im ok with that. I hope everyone else has made it home safe or is in route. RACHEL AND I HAD A GREAT TIME AGAIN THIS YEAR AND IT WAS NICE SEEING THE FAMILIAR FACES AND MEETING THE NEW ONES. I will post pics later tonight or in the morning. Ohh and for those wondering how I did in vegas? Well lets just say im 500 bucks richer! good night on the tables.

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    Ummm Kirk......I obviously already HAVE a complex! LOL seriously awesome to see you again after so long!

Great seeing everyone as well for me, if Scott, Laura, and Robert would have been there it would have been the perfect year! Sorry if I offended anyone, y'all that know me I am sure I didnt offend, but I tend to let loose when away from my stressful work/family life!

Quote Originally Posted by Zu4two View Post
    It kind of sucked that I had to leave before the sun came out. Sorry to hear that several people left with major damage (especially Mike with his pristine '99). I had a great time, meeting a lot of new & wonderful people and seeing some familiar faces (was going to say "old friends", but didn't want to give Lisa a complex)

I've got a few dozen pics that I've yet to get off the camera. But I'll do it soon.

The VehiCROSS is an amazing vehicle and there's no reason to baby it on the trail. I'm not saying everyone should be as crazy as TriAthlete, but I don't think you should leave it sitting in the parking lot either.
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Agree!!

And IMHO, there's still plenty of fun and beauty to be had running the same trails a year apart.
    X2...I'm still on the fence,but ready to tone it down a notch
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

Talking

First thanks for the condolences and positive mojo coming my way! I tore into it as soon as I got home so have not been able to check the site for a few days.
    Now I am the newbie so I take no offense to you all laughing and learning from my mistakes (they are numerous and significant!)

So... I was doing something I should not have been doing in 4H. We had finished all the demanding stuff on the trail and I switched out of 4L to have some fun Kirks way! (For those who have not been out with him he likes to floor the gas every chance he gets!) We came across an obstacle and those famous last words came out of my mouth..."I can do that" I tore into it and forgot to switch back to 4L I had the front wheels up when I switched to 4L. Should have backed down put it in 4L and started again. I was deep into the gas pedal when I am guessing the 4L actually engaged and it engaged with a BANG! Literally. It was getting late so Dave and I wasted no time tearing off my skid plates (freshly painted ) and disconnecting the drive shafts. Gil and Cece were life savers and towed me back to the stoop. This is where the great meeting of the minds took place Because the grinding, popping and jerking stopped when we disconnected the drive shafts the problem must be transfer case! Getting home Sunday was a must for work so I made a call to my big bro who came through with his diesel truck and a trailer. Made it home with no problems. Dove in head first tearing my beautiful VX apart top to bottom and actually got the transfer case out in about 6 or 7 hours. Not bad considering I had no idea what I was doing. I set it on the bench and spun the flanges which connect to the drive shafts and.... it was smooth as silk! WHAT THE!! I made a few calls to a mechanic friend who offered to come over and take a look. While waiting I decided to check the differentials. Opened the drain plug on the rear put a magnet in...all good. Got under the front put the magnet in and...metal bits, pieces, parts everywhere Yep took the whole transfer case out and it was the front diff that gave out.

So now its a race to find a new front diff. Oh yeah and put the transfer case back in!

It was great getting to know everyone on the stoop and on the trail.
    Thanks to Gil Cece Dave Mark Joe Dub Jack Steve Mike Craig and everyone else who helped get my VX home in almost one piece.

I had a great time! I will fix it and be back next year. For the stoop and the sticker!

Wow, I finally got a day off. I canceled for financial and physical reasons, then ended up ttrading my VAC time for later. The night you guys wanted to Skype I was called out and have been working 12-14 hours since. Still, no excuse. I MISS MY FAMILY!!!

The trails looked like they took a punishing over the winter but, I'm glad everyone got out mostly unscathed. Don't let it discourage anyone, just coming for the hang out is worth it.
    I'm so sorry for missing... I hope the depression lifts soon.
    Scott / moncha.com

Mike, sounds like its time for you to put some time in and source some open 4.77s and install an Aussie locker in the rear.

Bart

here's my list of about 40 some junkyards with a VX and about 60 with a 95/96/97 Rodeo (not sure if our diffs are shared with them or not), maybe this will help you find a front diff.
    http://vehicross.info/forums/showthr...ht=spreadsheet
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by MeowMix View Post
    I have a ton of photos, though things are still crazy in my world: at the moment I'm in Colorado Springs, still wandering around the west end of the country like some transient drifter on my fabulous trip to nowhere...I'm about 1200 miles from my home in WA. I'll probably not post photos of the fun stuff (Moab) until I get home. No idea when that will be, but it'll be one of these days, lol.
    Member zoup2nuts works at the BMW dealership in Colorado Springs...you should stop by and give him a shout and you're only 35 minutes south from me in Castle Rock.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Mike, sounds like its time for you to put some time in and source some open 4.77s and install an Aussie locker in the rear.

Bart
    If I knew what any of that meant that would be awsome!
    I like to do the work myself, that does not mean I know what I am doing. If anyone has suggestions I would love to hear them. Just put it in 4x4 for DUMMIES language. I need a whole new "third member"?? whatever blew up inside almost made out! There is a star crack on the passenger side top of the case!

Quote Originally Posted by mhill View Post
    If I knew what any of that meant that would be awsome!
    I like to do the work myself, that does not mean I know what I am doing. If anyone has suggestions I would love to hear them. Just put it in 4x4 for DUMMIES language. I need a whole new "third member"?? whatever blew up inside almost made out! There is a star crack on the passenger side top of the case!
    Yeah, the 4.77s gears came in Trooper RSes and I think some Amigos. Basically, it would be a gearing upgrade for your VX, however the 4.77s are "open", which means no LSD (limited slip) in the rear. Right now, you have an open front diff and a LSD rear diff. If you found 4.77s and installed them striaght, you would have open diffs in front and in the rear. BUT, you could install an Aussie lunchbox locker then, and you would have MAD traction in the rear.

I know, I know, when I bought my VX I had no idea what any of this meant either, but once you dig in, it gets addictive. Read this, it will help make sense out of what your diffs do, and why they are called "differentials".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differe...hanical_device)

Bart

4.77's came in 2nd generation 4 cylinder 4wd amigos (although they did not have 12 bolt rear axles, still a little easier to find than the 89 RS) and the 89 rs
    but for that matter I'm not exactly sure what axle is underneath a vx.

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    Member zoup2nuts works at the BMW dealership in Colorado Springs...you should stop by and give him a shout and you're only 35 minutes south from me in Castle Rock.
    Oh cool! We should get a beer or something at some point or another before I leave the state. I don't expect to be back anytime soon...this summer is kind of like my last hurrah before the tough part of school starts for me, so I may disappear at times for the next two years or so, lol.

Forgot to mention how the "JAMAS" cargo boxes worked out on the trip....EXCELLENT! So nice to have so much storage space and all my "stuff" so handy and accessible. The compressor, extension cord, gun case, air gauge, 5 qts oil, rags, knife, extra water/soda & food and a bunch of other stuff....all so handy and contained. Highly recommend these boxes!

Even on the roughest up/down bump type obstacle, the boxes barely moved out of place. After several slams up and down, they moved about 6" forward. Going to put some velcro on the bottom for next time, then they won't move at all.