Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sweet phone apps

The Flashlight app using the flash is retina searing! It also does police mode, variable brightness sreen light.
    I have since added key ring, very nice app.
    I downloaded the rock crawler lite, and went ahead and bought the beta pro version. Very fun.
    I play the fishing game as well.

To root or not to root. Only reason I can think to root is to delete all the factory junk, and so I can mobile hotspot for free. The verizon guy said as long as I don't go over 5 gig, they will never notice. I think it would be difficult to go over 5 gig checking email and whatnot on a puter.

So should I do the Z4root with bootstrap?

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by JAMAS View Post
    Guess what just got announced TODAY.....

http://gizmodo.com/5801342/netflix-i...ble-on-android

WOO HOO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post

So should I do the Z4root with bootstrap?
    Depends, there are lots of reasons to root. Depends on your device.

I didn't see you post what device you are running so its hard to say.

If your device maker and carrier has loaded up a lot of non-removable bloatware, then thats one good reason. If there are tons of custom mods and ROMS (customized versions of android) you want to play with then thats another good reason to root. If you want to tether your computers for internet without any additional charges, thats another good reason. If you want to do full backups and restores of all your apps, settings and ROM, thats another good reason. If you want to overclock your device for better performance, thats another good reason.

I usually recommend that people use their device as stock for 6mo or so, just to become accustomed to it, research what is available for the device and have a baseline for its performance. Then consider rooting and modding.

Keep in mind, rooting WILL void your warrantee. However, most robust rooting solutions have a method to roll back to stock if ever you need to return the device for warrantee service.

Also, yes it is possible to "brick" your device while modding/rooting/flashing new roms or kernels. But even in that case there are recovery options, and if the device is truly bricked, even the carrier wont be able to tell it was rooted, since at that point it just simply wont respond to anything even the carriers can throw at it.

I've been flashing firmware to various devices for over 10 years now. Smartphones, routers, optical drives, flash drives, satellite recievers, modded computer BIOS systems, stereo systems, even TV's! Making devices of all sorts do things they were not originally intended to do and have only truly "bricked" one device. It was then RMA'd for a full replacement, no problem.

Just do your research and read, read, read!

But truly, most of the time for a popular smartphone, its not so scary.

What android device are you using and what cell carrier? I'd be happy to point anyone in the right direction.

*EDIT* Full disclosure. I unbricked an iPhone for a client today that the Apple Store "Geniuses" across the street couldn't budge, hence my longwinded post. I usually don't work on apple crap since their premium prices and smugness annoy the hell out of me. Apple and their customers can go have thier smugfest in thier spendy little hipster enclave. But this old hacker just bested them on thier own hardware, and that was the first time I'd ever even held an iPhone 4G. /RANT off.
    Last edited by Grif : 05/12/2011 at 08:51 PM

@Marlin - How do you get sponsor on the rock crawler app?

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    *EDIT* Full disclosure. I unbricked an iPhone for a client today that the Apple Store "Geniuses" across the street couldn't budge, hence my longwinded post. I usually don't work on apple crap since their premium prices and smugness annoy the hell out of me. Apple and their customers can go have thier smugfest in thier spendy little hipster enclave. But this old hacker just bested them on thier own hardware, and that was the first time I'd ever even held an iPhone 4G. /RANT off.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Somehow I missed this post, I too hate the Apple aura as wel like to call it. Seems inappropriate to have an Iphone and not drive some kind of hybrid or top end luxurycar. Definitely not appropriate for the Zu.

I have a droid2 global from Verizon running the newest droid OS.

@Jharris-I have no idea, this is a beta platform, so we are in at the ground floor so to speak. I think that is an upcoming option....patience young one, I have beat all the levels, ironically with the rubicon. If you just get to Baja4 and then do it over and over again, you get about 3K per race, and it only takes 10 seconds or so.

Interesting thread! I'm shopping for a new phone right now and leaning heavily toward Verizon & one of the Droid phones. (Saying "AT&T" in Ok City is currently worse than dropping the F-bomb in church. Worst. Service. Ever.)

Phones Should Not Have Apps

You Are All Just Rushing To The Day The Machines Takeover The Earth And We All Become Part Of The Borg Cooperative!!!!!

Stop Now And Save Humantiy!!!

Omg Save Me I Am Being Attacked By My Toaster With The Bagel Option!!!

Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!
    Last edited by circmand : 05/20/2011 at 08:29 AM
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    Omg Save Me I Am Being Attacked By My Toater With The Bagel Option!!!
    At least your spell check hasn't become self aware yet.

Whatch you talkin bout

Quote Originally Posted by JAMAS View Post
    At least your spell check hasn't become self aware yet.
    Jamas

Oh I have beat it, or completed all the levels.

One warning with using some apps. On my way to Moab I had Google Maps Navigator and Pandora running with the screen on (what good is a gps if you cant see it) on my Droid X. Even with it plugged in the battery was down to 30% by the time I'd gotten from Aurora to Glennwood.

Glad I rooted mine. Free tethering came in really handy in Moab since Red Rock doesnt have wifi and the wifi at the campground went down at one point. I used Z4 Root which worked perfect. I have the full backup of the way the phone came, then cleaned out all the bloatware.

Crawl is fun but frustrating. They have had a lot of bugs which have slowly gotten better with updates but the last one causes it to crash all the time on my X.

I use Accuweather for checking the weather. If you turn the phone sideways it shows the current radar which is very useful when storms are rolling through.

The ghost detector is worthless. Its never detected mine.

Handcent SMS is a much better texting progam then the one that comes with the droid. Just have to turn off auto correct.

I'm using Firefox as a browser at the moment. Might try Dolphin later. Both are much better then the one that comes with it.
    --Dave

Thanks for all the great info. I may have to root it finally. I can't help myself...I will say that the voice to text program that came OEM on my droid is awesome. It is pretty accurate.

Crawl is indeed getting better, but I seem to only have a crash when I switch from trail to garage. I still have one level I haven't been able to beat. I even have the ridiculous 170K truck. Its not any better than the Heep...the Papa SMmurf Jep is pretty sweet though, ridiculous fast, put it on 48s and just go. Only way to get past the Epic Jump level.

I just beat all the newest levels. Mine really never crashes at all.

Ok... it's obviously not an app, but I wanted to add a little VehiCROSS goodness to my new Droid phone so I made a little custom wallpaper:

EXAMPLE:

I don't know if it could be used on other phones, but it's just a 480x800 .jpg image. I made a few versions while I was playing around, some are a little lighter so it looks a little more carbon fiber-y for those who like it:

WITHOUT ISUZU LOGO
    REGULAR

LIGHTER

WITH ISUZU LOGO
    REGULAR

LIGHTER

My new favorite "useless app" for Droid is a Live Wallpaper called Puddle Drops. As you tap the menu screens, it gives the effect that the background is under water. I'm easily amused.

I have a t-mobile's HTC HD2 with android OS running on honey comb.Windows mobile is just so worthless that once i switched i never,ever had any remorse i got rid of windows.

Is hard to tell which of both is better Iphone or android,but certainly both of them are the future of mobile devices.
    Dakar was just the begining.