Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bug out bag (B.O.B.)

Dude, they say it like it's funny, but it aint. The more we screw around and tweak people's genetic makeup, man, it's gonna come down to zombies.

I would make some smart *** comment about tomorrow, but I guess in the case of rapture, there really is no point to our bags. Hahaha.

Marlin,

You're list is very thorough. Great job. I'll let you know as I build mine if I come across anything interesting or a good alternative to your set up.

That solar charger you posted is the same one I've been thinking of myself. It get's good reviews.

Here's my issue. I would like to find something that can power straight off itself as well. Like direct current and here's why:

At some point your battery in whatever device is gonna be gone. But as I've learned time and time again electronics (barring catastrophic failure or water) can really last indefinitely. Our power sources are the problem. To get the most out of any device in a situation like we are preparing for it would be nice to have a mode that powers low-consumption devices directly from the generating device.

One thought I had was that you could buy one of those small hand-crank chargers as well with the intent that if you ever find a decent spot to set up you could convert it to be a component in a water or wind powered scenario. You could have a tiny waterwheel that kept your music around or allowed you to play a game here and there on a smartphone, etc. It could also power a small, efficient LED light source until the mechanics died, as in most situations the LED will last indefinitely as well.

You could go on and on here, but you get the idea. I know. I REALLY want to keep my tunes around in an end-of-world scenario. It's just that important. HAhahhaa.
    macintosh man

forget about it

Just by an RV and haul everything. All these devices and power points you might as well not even camp.
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

An RV is impractical in these scenarios. You are only going to be mobile via vehicle in rare scenarios where you find an abandoned car with fuel or maybe in the beginning of your escape to the wilderness.

Not only will a vehicle be too large to get through tight spots and require fuel, it will also make you a very quick target for people who are panicking.

We're not talking about a lot of devices. We're talking about how long you can sustain a few niceties if you have room in the pack, those being electric light (LED) and possibly a digital device such as an iPod/smartphone. In a scenario where civilization could crumble, you can't discount the psychological impact that a small bit of entertainment can provide.

Other than that, the majority of everything else Marlin and I are discussing is able to be carried by one person if at all possible. If you have the "luxury" items in an accessory pack it's very easy to decide what to leave and what to take based on circumstances.

Much of what is being carried is engineered to be small and require little set-up or preparation.

Space blankets, which can be a lifesaver in more ways that one can literally be folded small enough to fit into a small pocket on most packs.

Etc and so on, but you get the idea.

This ISN'T for camping. This is preparation for a situation where you may be saying goodbye to modern civilization for either an extended amount of time or possibly forever.

Check these out Marlin:

http://www.k-tor.com/

The hand crank is essentially exactly what I was thinking about.

I mean there are so many ways once you set up a small camp that this could be made easier and more efficient from a cranking perspective.

OOOH. Possibly even better:
    http://store.pasco.com/pascostore/sh...53272&Detail=1

Minimal and heavy duty, as well as gear driven.
    Last edited by technocoy : 05/20/2011 at 08:11 AM Reason: Added to post.

Here's another cool thing I found last week:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-fuel?ref=live

It makes great use of surface area to efficiently boil water/soup. Could be a decent add if you have the space.