Thread: abs ring bolt stripped

abs ring bolt stripped

I had trouble with one 6mm allen bolt on my brake rotor abs ring, it was the LAST bolt and sure enough the head stripped. I really don't want 1 bolt to cost me getting new rings! any suggestions for removing that final bolt?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Milwaukee WI

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wrench

Vice grips...

OR, if the whole $k1+tereee is in the bowl...

Use a hammer & a sharp chisel to cut into the head of the stuck fastener in a CCW direction (after applying PB blaster or liQ )

Thatt'l usually break it loose, then replace the buggered fastener W/ a new 1...:

Our ABS rings are press on right? I don't know. If you can get the ring off then drill it out that would be best, but I think most times they tend to break when removing.

Maybe apply some heat if you have a propane torch, and then grab the head with some vice grips and hope it doesn't snap off!

What about trying the next size up allen wrench? I believe in those smalle sizes they sell allen wrenches in half sizes. Might be able to cram one in and get it turning.

Larry & Bob, you guys are thinkin' like I'm thinkn'. Ldub I'm going to try the vice grips next, and if that doesn't do'er then I'll break out the chisel. Its been soakin in pb blaster for what will be about 16 hours (gonna give it another whirl tomoro).
    Bob, I did try the next size bigger allen (that was step 2 for me, but it wouldn't turn it either. I'll heat it up if all else fails. Thanks 'yall !

Have access to a wire feed or a TIG welder? Use a grade 8 bolt, weld it to the head of the stripped bolt. Let it cool some then use a socket to back it out. If it breaks weld it on again till you get it out. The heat gets applied exactly where you need it to loosen the stuck bolt and you have a good head to turn.
    Junster If it don't looked fixed.. It ain't fixed.

Good idea Jinster, i'll keep that one in mind for the future. I was able to get the bolt out with a vice grips. After soakin overnite in PB Blaster it came loose. Now the rings will be stored in a safe place until my rotors go bad again. I really liked the no ABS I had all winter, It made me a safer driver without it. I couldnt stand the ABS. But, In the back of my mind I know I should have it on there....Thanks to all who responded. This thread is done.

Always tighten before trying to loosen -
    cheers
    Steve
    Isuzu Vehicross 3.2 V6 24 Valve

Or do what I did, cut the wires, pull the fuse and never worry about it again

Oh, I also cut off the brackets, makes changing CV joints a breeze, with the extended length Apex SS brakelines, I don't even have to remove the caliper

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

I hear ya...Marlin
    Around here it's 8 months of winter so I worry about no ABS, But this past winter was brutal and I drive alot, not once did I have a close call. No false braking, no problems at all. That's why I lean towards not doin ABS ever again.