Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mickey Thompson

Mickey Thompson

Hiya, Anyone have any experience with these tires? They are Baja Claw Radials.

http://www.streetsideauto.com/c/whee...a-claw-radial/

Specifically I'd be looking at the 16" and clearance issues with 305/70/16 also the "roar" factor? I hate tires that are obnoxiously loud.

(heh! spelled obnoxiously with no spell check)
    Junster If it don't looked fixed.. It ain't fixed.

Not quite, but...

I have the Pro Comp Xterrains. They have a similar tread pattern, and are not loud on the road (though they do get noisier with age). However, they are nowhere near as good as the Pro Comp ATs I used to have. The ATs are better in everything but mud. I like the look, but am going back to AT next time.
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.

My VehiCROSS

I buy tires based on looks and these are my 2nd favorite looking tire behind the Nitto Mudd Grapplers. The grapplers last forever, but all mudd tires will be kinda loud on the highway and will not perform that great on wet pavement.

my buddy had these on his ride, they were pretty loud on the street n wore out quick...
    like "littlebeast" said, the nitto mud grapplers do look awesome, i almost got 'em, but ended up choosing the bfg mud terrain 2's instead. they ride smooth n quiet n look awesome. i get compliments on 'em daily, right after the compliments on the vx itself...
    i also have a soft spot for bfg... probably cause my first jeep i ever owned had a set of 'em, white walls out.... killer!

I had a set of Mickey Thompsons.... for 15-20,000 miles... and there was NO tread left. Rubber is just too soft for much on road driving. I am now on my second set of TrXus M/T, 60,000 miles and still had some tread on my last set. My advicce is to stay away from Mickey Thompsons.
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    I'm a BIG FAN of the Nitto mud Grapplers too.

Not as loud as most aggressive off road tires...more a "HUMMMM"...
    ...than the "WOMP WOMP WOMP" from others.

And yes indeeeediee...they last very well.

Limited sizes may be the issue...
    ...they messed me up by stopping the 33x12:50x16...and if YOU want 16's then Nitto Mud Grapplers are not available in that size.
    However IIRC...they do have 33x12:50 x 17 or 18

So instead I found a used set of Nitto 35x16's...and love 'em.

I will be buying new Nitto 35's after Moab this year....
    ....they rock in the "looks" and "works" departments

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Noise is never an issue when it comes to tire choice...thats what your stereo is for!
    Looks and offroad performance makes me really, really want a set of Maxxis Trepadors! All I need is a solid axle, a lot more trimming and a lot more $$$!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Ok xnay on the Mickey T's. BIG THANKS What about TOYO MT's? They are my personal looks fav.

http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse....60440&pID=9165

You guys/gals have any exp. with these? I saw pics of a VX with these I really thought they looked great.

FYI On BFG's. BF Goodrich made the first rubber tires for cars in america. They have not made tires for quite sometime. They sold the name to uniroyal who sold to michelin.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnalVX View Post
    ......they are nowhere near as good as the Pro Comp ATs I used to have. The ATs are better in everything but mud. I like the look, but am going back to AT next time.
    x2. The Pro-Comp "All Terrain" is truly a top-notch tire in the 285/60R18 (31.3" O.D.) size. The Pro-Comp A/T weighs only 43 lbs and is Snowflake/Mountain rated. The other tire you should seriously consider is the infamous General - Grabber AT2 in P275/65R18-116S (44 lbs/32" O.D.) and is both studable & Snowflake/Mountain rated.

If you really want to be special, you can join the very elite 35" O.D. club of which there are only a few VX members. The perfect 35" O.D. tire size for the VX is 285/75R18 and will still fit on the OEM 18x7 Stock Rims and there are only four(4) tires made in this rare size:

LT285/75R18 (35" O.D.)

(1). Toyo - A/T (Only "A/T" tire made in the world in this size, and my personal favorite in this size).
    (2). Toyo - M/T (Traditional M/T tread pattern, non-studable).
    (3). Maxxis - MT-762 Bighorn (Only "studable" tire made in the world in this size).
    (4). Good/Year - Wrangler M/T-R with Kevlar (Only "asymetrical" tire made in the world in this size).

BTW, you mentioned you don't like tires with a "roar" factor. Well then; you should stay clear of all M/T designed tires, and only seek A/T designed tires. A/T tires are far more quiet and offer a more comfortable smooth ride on pavement, whilst still providing great traction in many varying terrain conditions. Just food for thought.

Last edited by Riff Raff : 04/15/2011 at 12:35 PM

I had the Baja belted HPs and they were great with low to no noticeable road noise. Not really meant for mudding but a good all around tire.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    I buy tires based on looks...
    Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Noise is never an issue when it comes to tire choice...thats what your stereo is for!
    I agree, but was very disappointed by the Xterrains. They look cool, but the ATs performed better in Moab (by a wide margin). I would not go with a tire with big voids again. An MT? Maybe, but I want function with the looks.

There's a dealer in Portland that carries those General tires. Mounted and balanced for 800. As far as the roar factor I was hoping someone could confirm or deny the Toyo claim that their MT's don't roar. Heck I dunno truth is I do very little offroading. Mostly just want the look that Toyo MT's give. I entered a local car show on the 4th of June. Just thought I'd get a car show response to a Basically stock VX.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    BUY NITTO....

Jo

http://www.treadwright.com/default.aspx

You can search other Isuzu or off road forums and read nothing but great reviews. Griff on here has some. This is what I plan to purchase in the next couple of months. I have two friends that ride these as well and both love them...one Jeep one Rover.

Guard Dogs that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Junster View Post
    There's a dealer in Portland that carries those General tires. Mounted and balanced for 800. As far as the roar factor I was hoping someone could confirm or deny the Toyo claim that their MT's don't roar. Heck I dunno truth is I do very little offroading. Mostly just want the look that Toyo MT's give. I entered a local car show on the 4th of June. Just thought I'd get a car show response to a Basically stock VX.
    What dealer is that? My friend is looking for new tires for his VX and the Grabbers are one of the ones he is interested in.