Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do I: Properly install the Taurus Cup Holder

How do I: Properly install the Taurus Cup Holder

I found SlowPro48's pictures of his Taurus cupholder install (sent a PM, but am impatiently creating another thread anyway )

I found workmeistr's dash removal "how to"
    http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...warticle&id=44

I found JohnnyApollo's version of the cup holder in another taurus how to thread (This solves the clearance issue for larger cups, but I am not a fan of how it looks)
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...5&postcount=13

....BUT...what I can't find is the how to instructions on installing the cup holder if I am not overly concerned about the clearance issue. I would rather it be flush and look like this...
    http://www.vehicross.info/attachment...removal/02.jpg

does anyone have those, or can help?

I think there is something about cutting the back off, and something about tabs in the front so its flush with the dash trim.

Give "MARLIN" a shout by PM or E-Mail. He's done this mod before and can walk you through the process.

JAMAS, my how-to shows the notches to be cut in the front for a flush mount. Cutting bits off the back of the cup holder is only required on certain holders that had more rear mounting plastic. I'm not sure what year Taurus's had which versions of cup holders, but if you find one that seems bigger than 1-din, I think the extra mounting girth requiring trimming should be obvious. To fit completely flush, I can't even place a can of soda in this holder without scraping it down the ashtray area plastic. As I have painted my dash trim, scraping is not an option for me. So I have been riding a 1-din change holder for a couple of years. I'm thinking of switching over to a 1-din chubby hole I also retrieved from the U-Pull-it yard, I think from a Rodeo.
    Bren Workman
    Gretna, NE
    (C) 402-312-1992

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for the reply.

I am okay with the rubbing when loading the can since I don't have a painted dash. I am going to try out the cup holder and if that doesn't work, then I will replace with a 1 din cubby. Not sure why I decided I want to replace a working CD changer and head unit. Perhaps just another mod to do for the sake of doing.

Umm, there is no process. Remove the dash bezel, pull out the old cd changer. Remove the side tabs, transfer to the drink holder, install the taurus cup holder, install bezel. I had the taurus holder a long time ago, but have since removed it and put an inverter in its spot. I had problems with it since I have the scangage in the ashtray spot.
    It was one of the 1st mods I did. Now I replaced the rear ashtray with a trooper drink holder, much more convenient.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Perfect! thank you.

I guess after the first time you remove the cd changer (and unplug from the head unit) Changing to another option like the cubby is relatively easy since you only need to remove the lower portion of the dash....right?

Quote Originally Posted by JAMAS View Post
    Perfect! thank you.

I guess after the first time you remove the cd changer (and unplug from the head unit) Changing to another option like the cubby is relatively easy since you only need to remove the lower portion of the dash....right?
    yep, lower portion of the dash comes off easily by itself, there arent even any screws holding it in. remove the ash tray, carefully pry the top 3 "fingers" that go around the lighter and ash tray, there is one clip pressure clip behind each one of them, rotate the whole piece down using the bottom edge as an axis to release the tabs under the din slot

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

"How do I: Properly install the Taurus Cup Holder"

Buy a Taurus

C'mon, you've been waiting for that ... haven't you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    "How do I: Properly install the Taurus Cup Holder"

Buy a Taurus

C'mon, you've been waiting for that ... haven't you!

Hmmmmm, that would make it easier. Probably fit perfect.

PM sent...

Jamas, sorry man - not ignoring you - just haven't been on here lately.

Basically what Marlin said. The side tabs on the cup holder I used (I think it was out of a 1995 but not 100% sure about that) were located at a point where the assembly fit flush with no mods to the front. The clearance problem I ran into was at the back. Had to chop a little off the sliding mechanism if I recall correctly. (the pics should show it) Then it just screwed straight in where the useless CD changer had been. It's not the most versatile cup holder though. Fortunately (or unfortunately for my wallet) I'm addicted to Red Bull so the Taurus cup holder is actually quite useful for me but I ended up adding another cup holder from West Marine for the gf's assorted bottles and cups because the Taurus holder, when mounted flush, is only good for one thing - cans. The coin tray is a nice feature though - especially if you've got a USB-capable head unit. Three flash drives fit in it quite nicely!

Old thread, and pics/links aren't working. Have my Sable cup-holder sitting right here, and the cubby that was in the VX when I bought it. They're different sizes. Cupholder is 7" wide, cubby is only 5 3/4" wide at the back (it tapers). Cupholder is 8" deep, cubby is 5 3/4" deep. How in the everliving sin do I get this thing to fit?

Thanks!
    Last edited by ipd : 03/27/2016 at 03:24 PM

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    You have to trim it if I recall correctly.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Ok, I've jimmed around with the cup-holder. Broke the stock metal tabs off the side, shaved the block on the underside, cut off the tips on the back (taking care not to trim too close so it doens't mess up the pull-out lock). I've got the stock brackets screwed on the sides, and it does look like it will bolt up fine.

New problem. Angle of the dash means that it won't fit anything larger than a 12oz can. So now I'm thinking I'd like to swap the location with the head unit. I know this has been done in the past, but does anyone have a write-up? I've seen where someone put the radio in place of the CD changer, and a LCD screen in the stock radio location. That's pretty much what I want to do, just with a cup-holder up top. Can anyone assist?

I thought about doing that but the part of the dash that extends around the top of the current radio location would make it even more limiting, in my opinion.
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"