Thread: front axles

front axles

so i found a place online that had front axles and i'm wondering if there is a difference between the driver and passenger side axles. if this is legit then i can share the wealth.
    Last edited by brainwashed : 03/13/2011 at 02:11 PM

yes, there is

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Theres a lot of websites that claim to have Vehicross axles but they actually have trooper CVs which are the same length as our vehicross axles. The outers half shaft should work fine if they're for 96+ trooper & SLX models. Rodeo & passports also seem to fit but are actually an inch shorter than vehicross/trooper half shafts. The driver's side inner axle is very hard to find because they are longer than the passenger side. Most vendors will sell the inners for both sides because late trooper models came with SOTF (short inner axles on both sides)

I recently did a full replacement of my CVs using aftermarket parts. I'm going to make a CV wiki with pictures, part #'s, specs & sources that will hopefully help answer all of the CV questions. Stay tuned . There seems to be a new CV question thread every week.

Actually the answer is yes and no. If you are replacing the whole axle from the diff out they are differant. However if you are just replacing the outer section (using the existing inner cup) they are exactly the same.
    Something ro consider though...the aftermarket shafts/cv's are far weaker than the oem shafts (with exception of the rcv shafts when they become available). This is fine for normal road use but if you wheel a lot you might want to become familiar with field repair/replacement.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

hmm... here's what i found.
    http://www.partstrain.com/store/?N=0...xle%20Assembly

i'd like to replace both front axles. i know nothing about what i need or what. i just know i need new front axles.

I replaced mine with Empi brand that I got on amazon for about $75 each. They seem to be the best of the inexpensive aftermarket shafts. They are all new manufactured vs. rebuilds. Search the sight for Empi CV's and you should find the info including part numbers from when I did mine.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    +1 EMPI makes quality CVs

You can replace both sides fairly easily but make sure you know the problem before spending money on the outer cvs. Both of my green cups were chewed up inside so replacing the outer cvs didn't help with clicking/vibrations. I have all the info you'll need for a full CV replacement if the cups are toast.

This old thread should help you out a little:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...hlight=dummies

Basically we are having an issue with terminology here.

Half shaft refers to the entire assembly from the splined shaft that enters the wheel hub to the splined shaft that enters the differential.

In that case, no the driver and passenger side are not the same. The driver side has a MUCH longer shaft that enters the differential (note our offset differential).

The axle shafts (the small shaft between the 2 green cups (outer race) are the same on both the driver and passenger side.

Further note - one should refurbsh/replace the inner and outer race as well as the cage and the ball bearings during a repair. All of those components wear at the same rate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

I installed the empi half shaft, which was found by BAP, local import parts store for a 99 trooper on the driver side today, with the help of a friend with air tools. Took just under an hour with no problems. You just have to be careful due to one company, through Pepboys sells a 99 Trooper axle with 3 larger ball bearings at the end that goes into the housing and the vehicross has 5 or 6 smaller ball bearings. But again, driver side half axle done in less then 1 hour and the part is plentiful to find.