Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Not Original VX Owner Roll Call

VX's had never really registered with me when they first hit the market, and a sport utility had never really been the type of vehicle I'd considered owning, but during a bike ride around town, I spotted one for sale about five blocks from my house.

It was a Proton, and the seller (original owner) was actually someone I knew from high school. I stopped to check it out during the bike ride, and after talking about it for awhile, she (the seller) actually gave me the keys and let me test it out over the following weekend. I remember driving to a blues festival that weekend and couldn't help but notice virtually everyone I'd be driving by just stopping and staring.

Now I'm personally one for keeping more of a low profile about most things, so I decided that a Proton probably wouldn't help much in that regard, and that an Ebony was more to my liking for the overall look black added to the vehicle.

Well it didn't take long to find this site as I started learning more about the VX, and it turned out that a member here had an '01 Ebony for sale (also an original owner), and the rest is history. I flew out to Baltimore from IL and drove it back with only one OH $#!+ moment (as follows).

I'd read early on about the possible oil usage issue, so before starting the drive back I made sure to check the level and top it off. What I DIDN'T do though is remember to put the damned oil filler cap back on AFTER topping the level off, and ended up driving for a couple of hours on the interstate with the cap just resting on top of the intake manifold. I was stopping for something anyway, and when I came to a stop at the end of the interstate off-ramp, saw smoke coming from under the hood. (Yeah...that's what I said too).

Well oil had been blowing up out of the filler hole, and some had made it onto the exhaust manifold, so as bad as the smoking had been, it could have been MUCH worse. I found a car wash, cleaned the engine bay as best I could, grabbed a bite to eat, then checked the oil level to see just how much had been lost and topped it back off. Luckily, only about half a quart had been lost, and I've had no oil related issues since.

Not the most stress free way to start my VX ownership experience, but comparatively speaking, it's been a pretty smooth ride ever since.

Until it's in my driveway, this is the best I can do.

http://www.autosdirectonline.com/web...k-Ohio/812309/

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    VX's had never really registered with me when they first hit the market, and a sport utility had never really been the type of vehicle I'd considered owning, but during a bike ride around town, I spotted one for sale about five blocks from my house.

It was a Proton, and the seller (original owner) was actually someone I knew from high school. I stopped to check it out during the bike ride, and after talking about it for awhile, she (the seller) actually gave me the keys and let me test it out over the following weekend. I remember driving to a blues festival that weekend and couldn't help but notice virtually everyone I'd be driving by just stopping and staring.

Now I'm personally one for keeping more of a low profile about most things, so I decided that a Proton probably wouldn't help much in that regard, and that an Ebony was more to my liking for the overall look black added to the vehicle.

Well it didn't take long to find this site as I started learning more about the VX, and it turned out that a member here had an '01 Ebony for sale (also an original owner), and the rest is history. I flew out to Baltimore from IL and drove it back with only one OH $#!+ moment (as follows).

I'd read early on about the possible oil usage issue, so before starting the drive back I made sure to check the level and top it off. What I DIDN'T do though is remember to put the damned oil filler cap back on AFTER topping the level off, and ended up driving for a couple of hours on the interstate with the cap just resting on top of the intake manifold. I was stopping for something anyway, and when I came to a stop at the end of the interstate off-ramp, saw smoke coming from under the hood. (Yeah...that's what I said too).

Well oil had been blowing up out of the filler hole, and some had made it onto the exhaust manifold, so as bad as the smoking had been, it could have been MUCH worse. I found a car wash, cleaned the engine bay as best I could, grabbed a bite to eat, then checked the oil level to see just how much had been lost and topped it back off. Luckily, only about half a quart had been lost, and I've had no oil related issues since.

Not the most stress free way to start my VX ownership experience, but comparatively speaking, it's been a pretty smooth ride ever since.
    wow, good 1!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Milwaukee WI

I had wanted one ever since seeing the first commercial. Finally got the chance while I still lived in Colorado and found my first 00 kaiser in Kansas City. Did all the work on the phone, flew out one way with the check and drove back to Denver. A few years later while living in Ohio I was in an accident and it was totaled (I was fine). A few weeks after getting the insurance money I found my second 00 kaiser in Boston. Did all the work on the phone, flew out one way and drove her home. Still have it it today. I am the second owner on both of them.
    Last edited by crager34 : 06/14/2011 at 08:30 AM

Saw it, Loved it, Had to have it, Found it 6 days later, Bought it!
    I have had no time or money since! The wife and the checkbook is all that keeps me from getting another one.
    Yeah I got issues!

I vaguely remembered seeing them way back, and rarely ever saw one in person around Memphis. Then one day a couple years ago I started wanting one. Found this site, read about issues and common (cheap) mods. Found one for sale on ebay in Indy. Emailed the stealership a few times, and bought it site unseen. Had it shipped down here and gave it a going over.
    I realize now that I over-payed, but I got it. I fixed quite a few things on it over time and it's still a trip to drive it around and get pointed at and stopped by folks wanting to tell me how cool it is and all that. The most common question around here is "how's that thing do in the mud?"

I remember the original TV ad on the Bonnieville salt flats, lol. It didnt really showcase the VX very well. I saw one on a car lot around 2001 and wanted it. I thought they wanted too much for it and passed it up. Occasionally I would see one on the road and knew I would get one someday. I found two online within 50 miles of me in 2005 on the same car lot. One was Astral Grey but I wanted a red and black interior. I bought the Ironman Edition for that reason and because there were only between 400 and 500 sold in the U.S. and thought that would have some resale value some day. It had a lot of rattles which I traced down and smothered. I am the third owner. The car was orignally delivered to a buyer in Troy, Michigan. From there it went to a second owner in Texas and finally to me in California. The underside looks a little grungy from the winters in Michigan, but its only superficial and tolerable. It is after all being used as an off/on-road vehicle as intended. Other than that its been a great little driver.
    Last edited by Maddawg : 02/06/2013 at 08:56 AM
    3" suspension lift, shocks: Rancho 9000, tires 33"x11.5", wheels 16"x8", offset= 0, no front sway bar

I loved VX's since I first saw them in '98! But at the time, there was no way I could have afford one. Back then, my wife was driving 1996 2 door Rav4 (another quirky car), around '99-'00 were at a dealer looking at some cars and spotted a used '99 VX with around 10k miles for $27k. At the time, I had an impulse (no pun intended ) to trade-in the Rav4 and buy the Isuzu (for my wife), but she didn't want to do. In retrospect, it was a very smart decision (we went on to have 3 kids, so she needed a much larger vehicles!). I haven't really considered another VX for another 12+ years!

Until last fall... I am a hard core Mitsubishi guy! So, when I was looking for a '05-'06 Outlander, I ran into VX ad that used Mitsu Outlander as one of its search tags. It was a copper colored, raised, w/ 33" tires VX from Boston (someone referenced it on classifieds here) for $5500. Though, I am not a fan of copper colored cars, that car re-ignited my interest in, now much cheaper, Vehicrosses!

I got really lucky spotting Henry's Proton on this forum, then I got lucky finding really cheap, reliable transport (only $410, NC to Mass) and lastly, I got really lucky with Henry being an honest guy (in both handling the transaction and describing the car to me).

Now, I couldn't be happier with my VX! I am truly enjoying driving it! I can't recall the last time I was this pleased with a car (and I buy/sell a lot of cars)!!!
    Last edited by Leon R : 02/05/2013 at 02:16 PM

Well this is a long story. Grab a cup of coffee.

I remember back in the day reading about the VX in a car magazine while sitting in the waiting room at my tire store. This would be about 94 or 95, the Vx in the article was an Ebony prototype built for the Tokyo auto show. At this time I had an Isuzu Amigo in my driveway, which I purchased new in April 93. I read about how advanced the Vx was over the rest of the market. I was hooked when I learned about the limited production in the late 90's. However just like a lot of us in the beginning, I couldn't afford the $30K price tag. I purchased new vehicles in 93, 96, 99, & 02 (two this year, RIP 02 Toyota Tacoma). Even after all these new vehicle picked up over the years, the Vx didn't make it back into my want list till around 05.

I was raised to think that if buying a car, always buy new. That way you're not buying someone else's lemon or problem. Over the years now, I have changed my view on used vehicles. I love doing all the research into a new/used vehicle and with the internet and stuff like CarFax it is easier to know the background of a used vehicle. The last new vehicle that I purchased was in 02, since then everything has been used or lightly used.

Now back to the story, I bought the first Zu Amigo in 93 traded it in 96. I purchased another Zu Amigo (94) in 09 and had it for several years. Both of these vehicles I put 150K on them during the years. Over these years and mileage in the Amigo's, I started learning how to turn a wrench... This was important change; the first Amigo was always serviced by the dealer. The second Amigo was purchased with a blown motor (Rod thru the block), the 2.6L fuel injected motor was a good starting point for learning how to do a rebuild on a truck with one tire pointed to the local scrap yard. I had this Amigo in the driveway until in died in 11 with 266K on it.

Now back to the VX, I don't remember my trigger point in wanting a Vx in the driveway. I wanted more power in my 4x4. Going from I4 Amigo (150 Hp) to something with a V6. In 05 I also looked into the Rodeo, Amigo and Trooper from the 98 to 02 era. I spent the next two years doing research and reading ads for VX for sale. At this time in 08 my daughter was born, a Vx wouldn't make a good DD with a kid in a car seat. So back to the rear burner the Vx quest went for a year.

In late 08 I was bored on vacation in Mi and reading posting online (cars.com) in a coffee shop. I found the ad for our Vx, it was in rough condition (Interior & engine) sitting on a Ford lot in New Mexico. I talked to them a couple times over the next days and finally phoned in an offer at 60% of market value. They took it, gave me time to finish vacation, return to Colorado and make plans to go down to get it.

There is more of this story already posted in the Introduce yourself here! threads. I dont know how to do a link here yet.

I am the 3rd owner of our VX (previously in NM, TX) clean with no rust.
    I just recently purchased our 2nd VX project, however I don't have any CarFax history on it.

I didn't discover this wonderful site until 2011, I didn't spend that much time online before.

This may explain to you why my VX truly looks like no other....

And the obsession continues.
    Last edited by VxSport : 02/06/2013 at 08:38 AM

Life is better when you go Topless

One day about 11 years ago I was driving and this yellow amazing looking vehicle drove past me on a busy block. I nearly crashed, turned around and drove pretty far trying to catch up and see what it was. I could not catch up and then i lost him. But I kept driving till I saw it in the guys drive way. I was amazed and wanted one. I went home and searched the net and found out what they were. I eventually found the old vx club site and connected with a vx owner NYC Ironman who eventually met me one night and let me drive his VX. I was hooked and trying everything in my power to get the money to buy one of the last 10 or 12 new ones at a dealership in I think Chicago or Missouri? I just could not afford the 30k sticker plus the flight. I remember some members buying them and posting about it. I was sick. I passed but promised myself one day I will have a VX. I always regretted not doing it said i would get one eventually. Years later I came close again but finally last year I saw the prices continuing to drop and felt it had to be done and saved to get my extra toy. I almost bought another one that would have been a mistake since it had so many issues and then I found my Killer Bee from a member here and I could not be happier. I love it so much that I actually hate that I only drive it on the weekends. You cant explain it but it is an obsession and I love driving it.
    I would love to buy another one that I could drive everyday. But I drive about 17000 miles a year and between gas and mileage in general it does not make much sense. I waited a long time and could not be happier. I have been a member of the club since 2002!
    "KILLER BEE" :

obsessed since 99- Im actually the 3rd owner.. I have no idea who she belonged to before, I bought her from a dealer in Massachusetts.. where Im originally from, and drove her home to Florida.. I HAD to have a proton, but the one I bought was a firefox.. so I had her painted 2 weeks after I bought her.. to Proton.. ALthough I think my yellow is a bit deeper (Indy Solar Yellow from Macco).. which I suppose makes me a knockoff Proton.. but a wee different! Certainly couldnt afford it in 99! I couldnt have her shipped.. I wouldnt.. I flew to MA, handed the dealer a check, never test drove it.. got in it for the first time 10 minutes later and drove her 1500 miles.. the road trip was awesome.. some days now, it's irritating to be stared at, more so in at intersection.. people slow down and get in my way when Im in a hurry.. (badges removed and I have Tonka on the back). It's not so bad on the weekends when Im not in a hurry.. kinda funny.. broke up an argument between husband & wife at a red light.. they followed me to the next red light demanding to know if Tonka really made and SUV.. lol.
    driving anything other than my Proton makes me want to puke

I remember seeing them when they first arrived in '99. Didn't actually fall in love with them but noticed how rare they were. Over the years I would see one now and then and began to like them more and more. After not seeing any for at least three or four years I decided to start doing a little research online. My 40th birthday was approaching and I decided maybe it was time to buy myself a toy.

Right about this time last year I got on Craigslist and there was one for sale about 20 miles away from me with just over 29k miles. I immediately inquired about it and drove to see it. I remember pulling around the corner and seeing it for the first time. It was love at first sight. I had to have it! The next day I went back with a check and drove it home grinning the whole way.

I'm the third owner. The second owner purchased it in 2008 and only put 1,500 miles on it. It now has just over 30,600 miles on it. It's so fun to have such a rare vehicle like this! I don't ever plan on selling it. It's my baby

I am not the japanese car/lite truck typical car buyer/driver. I am a Euro trash geek. SAABs(the real ones) pre GM. Porsche, Audi, VW. So why a Vehicross? It's cool, fun, different. I picked up an Audi Allroad this last year. Great car. But then my wife's cousin calls me and said, "there's this cool/odd suv for sale at my friend's neighbors place, and I know this thing is right up your alley. It's called an Ironman. I knew what it was in short order. I remember those. I thought about it, after a month it was still nagging at me. I followed up on it. It was still there. I'm in Motown. Not a big Japanese car place. Or Euro trash for that matter. My neighbors don't drive foreign cars much. I don't even do Harley's, I have MV Agusta and Ducati bikes. So, I drove the VX, the engines pretty weak, but I can get used to that, I think I'm really going to like this ride. Perhaps a real good going over will breath life into this mill. The Allroads up for sale. I hope I'm doing the right thing, going from a twin turbo rocket to a VX, but I just gotta know. I joined this forum to educate myself on my new ride and get leads on parts/performance general repair,service tips and links. So far I'm not hitting any goldmines. I just can't get that VX off my mind, I think it will make a great alternate car. A modified Porsche 944 Turbo, or a VX Ironman. Heh,heh,heh What shall I drive today? The choices we have to make....... Shall I be naughty, or very naughty?
    1999 VX Ironman

Ah. There it is.

I have the power. After a sea foam in the crank case treatment, tectron in the tank and a good going over. The engine is awake. I am pleased.

A BIG JOLLY HELLO! I have wanted a Vehicross since 1999. I saw one went down and grabbed a Brochure and wished I had 30K to spend on a new SUV!! 14 years later I find one thats got my name on it and I can't say no. There is just something intangible about our Vehicrosses that make us get it!! Some people say its ugly and not practical. I say shut up nobody wants to hear you or I'll introduce you to "Lucile" (The Walking Dead Reference) LOL! I am the lucky 2nd owner of my 99 Ironman and am really enjoying the questions and looks from friends and acquantances. Yes, I have joined the Obsession!!!!