Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Air filter change

Air filter change

The time has come to switch the VX over to a reuseable air filter. What kinda prices are people paying for K and N s. Also, where did you get them. Anybody tried a Accel Cool Blue yet? I was thinking about giving that a try. I have heard that they may flow a little more than a K and N. They list a size that fits the Trooper and cross referenced, it would fit a VX too. Any suggestions?

try Calmini

Dunno about the quality, but there is always someone selling a $30 cone filter on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2432334981

For that price, it may be worth a try.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

K&N and AMSoil drop ins (replacements for the OE filter in the air box) may be a better bet than a cone filter without a heat shield... and possibly cheaper as well. K&N will probably run you $45, and an AMSoil maybe $40. If you do a search online for either you will find a few places for both.

K & N Drop In Alone Makes a Diffence

For around $40 you can get a K&N Drop in filter. Try AutoZone and Pep Boys. Not hard to find at all, same filters as the 99-2001 Trooper. I noticed better off the line performance and a beefier intake sounds with this mod so it's a sound investment IMO.
    NAVIGATOR

Post K&N air filter

Can anybody tell me the part number for the k&n air filter.

K&N Drop-in Air filter -> 33-2064
    K&N Oil filter -> HP-1004

I have K&N "Drop-in" air filter. I did not notice any improvements like gas mileage, or increase engine performance. So, I can feel no improvement whatsoever. Not worth the money as I can feel. I do not think that was a good investment. IMHO
    Last edited by Virus-VX : 10/01/2003 at 09:04 PM

I have had the K&N air filter in for about two months, and most of my driving is back-roads with a posted limit of 40mph with the occasional 80mph jaunt down the freeway. I have not noticed an increase in mpg, I have noticed an increase for off-the-line rabbit-starts, but it is small enough that it could easily just be placebo effect. However I did notice a relativelty big increase in noise from the intake (I also have had the elbow removed from day one). As someone who tends to prefer quite over loud when it comes to engines, I actually don't mind it and think it is a little cool.

Thanks virus-vx.

About the K&N Drop In...

I noticed more roar from the rush of air being sucked thru oily wire reinforced gauze right away. Wasn't sure of any major performance increase, until I put a stock filter in while recharging my K&N. The K&N does make a difference for the money, and at under $50, the bad azz intake roar is well worth it. Your performance may vary depending on elevation, temperature, etc... But I got better MPG and quicker off the line response.

I have a K&N with a cold air box & supercharged. Perhaps I am mistaken but one of the limiting factors of intake air would be the MAS screen. I have long since removed this screen & have to date suffered no ill effects ( Engine performance wise). As a matter of fact I have experienced a dramatic decrease in Check Engine light indications.

Dragon Bob
    Neither ordinary or extraordinary, just indefatigable.

2000 VX Green Dragon- Chick Demagnitizer-Supercharger-Injen Intake- Cold air box-K&N- Power Vault SS Exhaust-265-75-16 BFG MT kms-On Board CO2- Custom Boulder Bars- Custom Skid plates- PIAA 520 Fog Lites-3inch lift with OME 912 Springs-LINE X Bedliner on Cladding & Hood Insert-ARB Front Lockers & Custom Bull Bar. Vintage Offenhauser Hood scoop Thule Rack. XM Radio-Custom Storage Box-First VX to surmount the RUBICON.Thanks Sierra Stompers

Screenless as well... in fact, I think Bob and I removed our screens at around the same time. I have yet to experience any ill effects (that I am aware of), and I am supercharged, too.

'01 EBONY 1330 r.i.p. now '01 PROTON 0987
    Aren't there 2 screens in the MAS? Did you remove all screens?

Not that I recall. Unless someone had already removed one when I bought my VX, my MAS only had one screen at the inlet. If you are careful, you can remove it without damaging the screen, therby being able to put it back in if needed. I, on the other hand, went ape-shat on mine when removing, and busted it up into what looked like a piece of screen art.

Originally posted by Dallas4u
    Not that I recall. Unless someone had already removed one when I bought my VX, my MAS only had one screen at the inlet. If you are careful, you can remove it without damaging the screen, therby being able to put it back in if needed. I, on the other hand, went ape-shat on mine when removing, and busted it up into what looked like a piece of screen art.

Not sure why but this post just made me laugh. The image of someone going ape-shat on their MAS just seemed funny to me.......

Cary on.......
    3C FORMERLY VX #1876
    www.triple-cs.com