Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: diff drop/ball joint flip

diff drop/ball joint flip

okay...

I have been doing some research and decided this needed a new thread. Does anyone have any info on ball joint flips/diff drops? I have searched and searched but I cant find anything on it other than people saying they have or havent done it. Is there a tech write up or some pictures somewhere i can reference from? The reason I am interested in both of these is because I have 3.5 iches of lift and I keep blowing cv boots. To the point where I have removed the entire front axle completely because it has severely angered me lol. Neways if anyone has any info please help me. Two wheel drive really sucks...

You need a certain type of bracket to do the diff drop. Member tom4bren knows a "welder guy" who can fabricate it for you, but I can't recall ever seeing pics. I'd send him a PM and see what he can do to help.

Don't know much about the ball joint flip, sorry.

I too found it very hard to find info on the ball joint flip other than a lot of people discussing the pros/cons and who has it or not. Finally found the writeup for it over on Planetisuzoo.

http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles...p/Spacer_Howto

As for the diff drop, those are usually custom fabbed so you will have to ask someone who has done it. This is one of the few threads I found with pictures though.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...f+drop&page=34

Not the usual way to do it, but here is how one member did his. Near the bottom of the page, post 510.

You could fab your own brackets, buy some from Joe Darlington on Planetisuzoo, get with Tom4bren on here for some brackets. You have to remove your front axle assembly and if your going to do the drop the "normal" way you'll need to remove the entire CV shaft including the green cup from the axle housing to get the diff brackets off. Then you'll do this:

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewto...ight=diff+drop

Or you could source some brackets from a junkyard and mod those before you pull your axle
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread

Quote Originally Posted by raver_boi_88 View Post
    ... To the point where I have removed the entire front axle completely because it has severely angered me lol..
    Quote Originally Posted by RamAirZ View Post
    ... Or you could source some brackets from a junkyard and mod those before you pull your axle
    Sounds like it's way too late for that.

hahaha good point, not sure how I missed that lol.

thank you all so much for your info. I really appreciate it. I am a fairly decent welder but I will head over to the other website and see what he wants for a set.
    Thanks again
    Phillip

This is how I did mine. I agree the method used above is better. Mine was simple to do and is holding up. I got something like 1.25 inch drop and it made a tremendous difference in the angle of the half shaft exiting the inner green cup.
    Here is how I cut it.

and here is how I welded it transposing the bushings upward.

At least I think its holding up?? Almost afraid to look.... Removing the Differential is NOT fun but rewarding once you do it. I dropped the steering linkage by removing the 4 bolts from the passenger side bracket and then a pitman arm puller on the steering gear. By removing those 2 components the entire linkage fell out of the way.
    Last edited by Ebenezr : 03/03/2011 at 02:07 PM

Ball joint flip will do nothing for your CV boot problem however it will make alignments easier. I wrote a how-to for the ball joint flip many moons ago but can't seem to find it any longer.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

I can still get Welder Guy to do the mods. The cost will be $250 but it includes the crossmember drop brackets. Jo Darlington charges extra for those so be sure to factor that in. I used to charge $200 but was just losing too much money after shipping.

Now for the bad news. I don't have any differential brackets to modify at the moment. I've only got 3 sets and they are all out right now & I'm waiting for the originals to be sent back. I may have a lead on as set though so I'll let you know.

The installation instructions with pictures can be found here:

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...c&daysprune=-1

You were actually about 1/2 way there whenever you removed your axles.

Here's a pic of the 2nd set that Welder Guy made (cleaner now because he grinds all the welds smooth):

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...08/ppuser/2699

& here's the first set installed on mine:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...33/ppuser/2699

Another thing to consider is that this summer, RCV Performance will have replacement half shafts available for us that will also fix the CV problems. I should be testing out the first one this month (only the drivers side though (this is why: http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...76/ppuser/2699)). They will be selling the set (both sides) for $1800 which is less than buying OEM from Isuzu.

Tom
    Last edited by tom4bren : 03/03/2011 at 02:49 PM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Another thing to consider is that this summer, RCV Performance will have replacement half shafts available for us that will also fix the CV problems. I should be testing out the first one this month (only the drivers side though (this is why: http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...76/ppuser/2699)). They will be selling the set (both sides) for $1800 which is less than buying OEM from Isuzu.

Tom
    What will they fix about the cv problems? Take away the need to do a diff drop to save the cv's? That would be pretty awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
    What will they fix about the cv problems? Take away the need to do a diff drop to save the cv's? That would be pretty awesome!
    $250 for a diff drop vs. $1800 for upgraded half shafts? I'm sure the new shaft design is probably the better answer, but is it 7X better?

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    $250 for a diff drop vs. $1800 for upgraded half shafts? I'm sure the new shaft design is probably the better answer, but is it 7X better?
    If you wheel hard the extra strength of the shafts and cv is well worth the extra coin...plus the knowledge that if you break it they replace it no questions asked is nice insurance also.

oooooh free replacement! That's a strong selling point for me!