Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NewBie Help please!! 2001 Yellow VX

NewBie Help please!! 2001 Yellow VX

How how are you guys. Im pretty new to the forum. I signed up a couple of weeks when I was thinking of buying a vx. Well I finally bought one today!! lol. 2001 Yellow. Im in florida Anyways I would like some info I would like to go all out and start with the project. Need some Info please i WOULD appreciate any info you can give me on the below subjects.

I went to a local bike store to try to get one of those Yakima Warrior Mega Baskets that I saw on the yellow one thats on the forum. Any yakima says they dont make a setup for our vehicle.
    I have just the two side moldings on the roof no rack what do i need to install the yakima basket that will fit a spare tire on the roof?

Also I want to go with some procomp rockcrawlers 16" black need to know what would be the lug pattern and the best offset I can run with a 16" wheel. Also the biggest tire that I can run at stock height that still looks offroad like.

Also The JDM Fender Mirror Where do you think I can find that mirror I really like it.

Is there a online website that sells alot of parts for vx's ? I cant seem to find any sites?

How can I change the Isuzu emblem in the grill to the vx i see on the forum?

My vx is running great the only problem Im having is the windows wont go down is this a known Problem.

Sorry about so much questions but this truck is so rare no one knows anything about them which i like

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by khoipong View Post
    How how are you guys. Im pretty new to the forum. I signed up a couple of weeks when I was thinking of buying a vx. Well I finally bought one today!! lol. 2001 Yellow. Im in florida Anyways I would like some info I would like to go all out and start with the project. Need some Info please i WOULD appreciate any info you can give me on the below subjects.

I went to a local bike store to try to get one of those Yakima Warrior Mega Baskets that I saw on the yellow one thats on the forum. Any yakima says they dont make a setup for our vehicle.
    I have just the two side moldings on the roof no rack what do i need to install the yakima basket that will fit a spare tire on the roof?

Also I want to go with some procomp rockcrawlers 16" black need to know what would be the lug pattern and the best offset I can run with a 16" wheel. Also the biggest tire that I can run at stock height that still looks offroad like.

Also The JDM Fender Mirror Where do you think I can find that mirror I really like it.

Is there a online website that sells alot of parts for vx's ? I cant seem to find any sites?

How can I change the Isuzu emblem in the grill to the vx i see on the forum?

My vx is running great the only problem Im having is the windows wont go down is this a known Problem.

Sorry about so much questions but this truck is so rare no one knows anything about them which i like
    Welcome.

The search function at the top will help you answer many of these questions but let me try a few as well.

The OEM roof rack is long discontinued...send member VX KAT a private message to see if she can get you one, or perhaps has one. She has a knack for sourcing these.

The search function will give you hours of enjoyment reading about wheel and tire sizes and combinations

The JDM front fender mirror is very rare and I have not seen one for sale since I bought my VX over a year ago. Good luck with this one.

Independent 4X4 is a good spot for some parts, but if you're after some aftermarket pieces there is not much to choose from. Most of the members here have learned to fabricate things for themselves or use other members skills to get what they need for a price.

The VX emblem is available from www.planetsvx.com. Look for the Vehicross link.

The windows could just need a good shot of lubricant along the tracks, or there is a metal piece available here http://www.streetboutiquecustoms.com/vx.html

Hope this helps and again, Welcome.
    Last edited by Mile High VX : 03/02/2011 at 08:19 PM
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

AWESOME! I love your excitement! Welcome to the forum... now, search it... HAHA, sorry, inside joke.

I gotta warn ya, many of us have been here quite a while and are quite relaxed with being blunt with each other and anyone else so don't take things to heart but rather lightly. Some of us are just pricks tho too so... sorry.

First things first, your VX is not 'yellow', it is 'Proton'!

You can introduce yourself here: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...oduce&page=109

...And here: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...hlight=protons

There is a how-to area on the site - you'll find it on the left hand side of the screen with a bunch of other categories to familiarize yourself with. Here is a how-to for fixing the window binding issue: http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...ewarticle&id=3
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Hi khoipong- (khoi?)

I'm VX KAT (Sue)

Yes, you do need the OEM roof rack (which is two "cross members" that attach to your roof rails that run front to rear), in order to attach a Yakima basket.

I have a knack for finding used OEM roof racks. Since these are 10-12 years old, I completely clean and restore them to look darn near new.
    Here's a thread showing the before and after and what all pieces are part of the OEM rack.
    http://vehicross.info/forums/showthr...ng+restoration

I DO have a roof rack now that I haven't quite finished the full cleaning & restoring process yet. It will be done in a few days. I'll PM you.

Yakima says they don't have any basket that will work, don't worry, they do!! I have the Yakima LoadWarrior and it attached to my OEM cross members without any modifications. I carry my oversize spare in the basket, just like you want to do. Yakima makes a "spare tire attachment" bracket kit for around $70. I'd suggest you get that as it will work perfectly, and hold the rim/tire securely. I also have a ratchet strap on mine.

The MegaWarrior basket will also fit our bars.

Here's some pics to give you some idea what I'm talking about:

Showing the 2 cross members.

You can see the Yakima mounts perfectly curve to grab the oval cross members....um, disregard the Barbie Doll, that was part of a joke we did last year.

Last edited by VX KAT : 03/03/2011 at 09:01 AM
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Geez, Sue, you pic hog!

This pic makes your VX look like an RC toy - it's crazy lookin! Yes, actually, I have been drinking again... I know you love me this way!

BTW, I LOL'd when I saw the ORW! LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Hi khoipong- (khoi?)

I'm VX KAT (Sue)

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    Geez, Sue, you pic hog!

This pic makes your VX look like an RC toy - it's crazy lookin! Yes, actually, I have been drinking again... I know you love me this way!

BTW, I LOL'd when I saw the ORW! LOL

We (Billy, mhill & Zu4Two) saw a rock quarry and just couldn't help ourselves...we had to go play. We let that dude in the yellow FJ stay behind on the road to take our pics playing...

Geez, Sue, you pic hog!
    I'll add a big +1 to that lol.

Khoi (I guess we've named you now) just so you know there are/were other options out there. This rack is on member Marlin's rig, I believe it's called the "Rage Basket" and is built by the company of the same name. PM him for the model number and website.

Another option is the Thule 696 basket. This option is no longer available from Thule, so you'd have to be patient and hunt one down through this site, Craigslist, and/or eBay. If you do like it you might start by posting a "Want to Buy" thread - several members have this basket, and you might just find one willing to sell. I got my super-rare OEM nose mask that way, haven't been able to find those for years but someone PM'd me the day after I posted a "WTB" thread and offered up theirs.

Pics:

Talking

welcome bro.

Whats the Point of Living, if You don't go BIG.....
    Turning My VX Into Rally VX

do a search for "megawarrior" a member here recently got one, installed it and imho it looked pretty silly beause of how big it was compared to the VX. before you spend the money on one, make sure you like the way its going to look

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Remember underneath it is a trooper and parts like ball joints, tie rod ends, cv joints are easy to find. I have used Ebay and Carpartswholesale.com for these. Use the junk yard search engines and you can find parts esp if your sure a trooper part will fit. For example I got a used trooper steering gear for my VX this way and there were a zillion choices.

Quote Originally Posted by khoipong View Post
    I want to go with some procomp rockcrawlers 16" black need to know what would be the lug pattern and the best offset I can run with a 16" wheel. Also the biggest tire that I can run at stock height that still looks offroad like.
    Congrats on your purchase of a Proton (the most desirable color) and welcome to the addiction here on VX.Info. Like the others have said-- please learn to use the "search" button/icon at the top of the page to answer various questions.

Regarding wheels/tires, the 16x8 Black ProComp RockCrawlers have been installed by other members here without issue using narrower tires. The tallest O.D. tire that will comfortably fit within the tightly cramped front wheel-well of a VX is 32" O.D. at the stock height without lifting.

If you want a wide & aggressive M/T tire, then select 285/70R16 (32" O.D.) from Toyo or Nitto tire brands (the only two brands that make this unique rare size).

If you want an A/T or more streetable tire, then select 265/75R16 (31.7" O.D.) from any tire manufacturer (very common size).

Our OEM wheels are +38 offset with 6-5.5 bolt circle (Isuzu, Nissan, Toyota, Chevy/GMC typically use the same 6-5.5 bolt circle and can be found at any auto wrecking yard for a very cheap price). Since you desire 16" black wheels, another option for you might be to acquire some 1999 edition 16x7 OEM Stock VX wheels and have them powder-coated black. You could even get creative and just have the center spokes powder-coated in black while leaving the silver rim untouched for a radical two-tone effect (just visit a powder-coating shop in your hometown for various ideas/options). The OEM rims have the proper offset/backspacing to help minimize tire rubbing within the tightly cramped front wheel-wells of the VX. Generally speaking, most tire rubbing issues appear when using wider aftermarket rims that have non-OEM offset/backspacing specifications.
    Last edited by Riff Raff : 03/03/2011 at 03:53 PM

Riff, you forgot the center bore size... what is it again? 108mm?

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Some of us are just pricks tho too so... sorry.
    at least Justin knows that about himself.... oh, and speak for yourself
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

pbprick has spoken, I shall obey.

You can't spell "prick" without "Rick".

(I hate when people ask, "What's up, Rick?" Have I just been secretly insulted? It's impossible to tell.)