Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Moab XIV 17May-21May 2011

There are trails of all levels there. And don't worry, we take good care of everyone. You will quickly learn who the good spoters are and they will get you through unscathered. Of course there is always some risk envolved...even driving down the street.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

That's good to know! I don't want to be the highlight of the photos... that silly newbie who thought she could get her VX over that river...!

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    There are trails of all levels there. And don't worry, we take good care of everyone. You will quickly learn who the good spoters are and they will get you through unscathered. Of course there is always some risk envolved...even driving down the street.
    Billy's right, spotters are really important. If your VX is "stock", you pretty much can expect you're going to get some things scratched up, like your front lower cladding perhaps, and the rear cladding down under by the gas tank skid. Your tail pipe may get a bit "reshaped" And your fender cladding may get brushed up a little.

Thought I'd share some pics so you can get an idea of what it's like. Hope it helps!

Here's some general type of terrain you can do as a stock VX and as a fairly beginner. I was stock the first year I went, but 2nd year I got oversized tires. These first shots I have the larger tires, so I'm raised up a bit for extra clearance.

This is an example of a couple of 800 lb rocks that want to rip your fender & door off...here's when a spotter is REAL important...
    That's Mark (MSHardeman) spotting me down. He's awesome!!
    It was way harrier in person....trust me!

This is hubby coming down....he scraped/bent his side step a little on this one.........I say smaller trucks are better, yes!

This part is STRAIGHT DOWN and you slide down even with full brakes applied...this was my first slide. It was awesome, but it did scrape the he!! out of my front bull bar and lower front cladding. That's why most VXers don't have a front bull bar on when in Moab....
    First pic is when I was stock, 2nd with bigger tires....scraped both times, just not as bad the 2nd trip (I think these are actually 2 different hills BTW...but same effect)

These are from 1st yr, all stock. Did a little damage to a rim and scraped the front & rear cladding on this rock pile.

VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Hmmmmm, for some reason I don't have any problems with my front cladding scraping Sue!
    That "rock pile" was the exit of Hells Revenge....and damn that is one sexy spotter!

Also, just picked me up a new camera! Got a Nikon D5000! Can't wait to shoot a crapload of pics in Moab!

MsC...we were all the noob in Moab at one point or another. For many it was their first time ever off road...most all have caught the bug and have continued to return time and time again. Hope you make it! And we won't hold it against your hubby that he's a "jeep" guy

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Hmmmmm, for some reason I don't have any problems with my front cladding scraping Sue!...translation MsC...he's LIFTED a coupla inches!
    That "rock pile" was the exit of Hells Revenge....and damn that is one sexy spotter! Hmmm, he does look kinda familiar! Yer lookin' good Billy, even if you do say so yourself!

Also, just picked me up a new camera! Got a Nikon D5000! Can't wait to shoot a crapload of pics in Moab! Great camera choice! I'm a Nikon geek!! Buy a 2nd battery!!

MsC...we were all the noob in Moab at one point or another. For many it was their first time ever off road...most all have caught the bug and have continued to return time and time again. Hope you make it! And we won't hold it against your hubby that he's a "jeep" guy
    How's that go???...sumpin like Jeep...Heep, Yeep, Sheep...

Well the lift helps but so does the "slight" trimming of the front cladding.

Aw shucks Billy, thanks.......I think. Thanks for the compliment Sue, but I learned my spotting skills (which are minimal at this point) from listening to people like Billy. It takes a while to have confidence in your spotters because sometimes it looks completely wrong from inside the truck, but once you learn to just let go and trust you can do some really amazing things.

MsC, I say if you can make it out to Moab then DEFINITELY do. On top of the great scenery and trails, just meeting some of the rest of the family is worth the trip. I was stock my first couple of year out in Moab, and if you take your time you should come out unscathed. As everyone who has seen me in Moab will tell you, I drive like a 70 year old grandma going to church on Sunday on the trails. Slow and steady wins the race....and keeps your VX (mostly) scratch free.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Aw schucks Mark, don't worry. There was no complement there...that "sexy" guy was me....man, get over yourself!

Anybody who has seen my house knows I am not an organization freak, but somebody should move this thread into the "Moab Meets" subcategory...
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

This post needs a bump to the top!
    Looks like I will be getting to Moab a day or two early and will have to leave on Saturday morning...I have a race in Tucson on Sunday!

If anyone else is going to be there early let us know. Also if anyone is interested in Mt Biking on one of the "early" days let me know so I can rent a bike up there!

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    billy-
    Its very likely ill be there a few days early as well, i have somewhat of a 'crew' coming with me this year (im hoping for like 5-7 people and maybe an additional 3 or 4 rides) so im gonna have to get em out on the trails and introduce them properly before the fam gets there, so your welcome to join... a couple of toys, jeeps and exploders again maybe my sisters xterra too.
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    If I can..there is a fair chance I'll be there early if others are....

Jack/Billy.....what dates are we talking about..how early?

jo

PS..Jack..need to talk about rock sliders!
    If your guys can fab 'em..then weld 'em on at the stoop..
    ...I'm all for it!

VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Will probably get there Sat. night and then pull out the following Sat. morning.

Plan is to get there Sunday afternoon...

Billy are you camping? Gonna get a group site? You might be the first there...unless Jack is camping at Portal.

I will be camping....somewhere.