Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: front flasher - turn signal not working, no power - rapid flashing of rear

front flasher - turn signal not working, no power - rapid flashing of rear

Hi guys! I really thought I would get by another week without some strange, but minor issue popping up but alas, that was not in the cards for me. My VX's right turn signal started rapidly flashing a couple of days ago (the tic-toc of the flasher became tic-tic-tic-tic). I got out and noticed that only my rear turn signal was working. The hazards won't light the front right turn signal, but keep the usual pace.

I bought new bulbs, but that didn't work - checked the voltage out of the connection to the tail light and its 0 (while the other side ramps from 0 to 9V with the hazards on).

Would someone who has more experience than me with flasher circuits be able to tell me if its the harness or the flasher itself that is causing these issues?

Good question.

The rapid flashing generally means that one of the bulbs is burnt out.

Is the bulb in your right front parking light (in the front bumper) good?

it may have been, it broke as I was taking it out - replaced with two others to check (bulb 1156). There was no power in the socket... (from either the socket, or the wires that connect to the socket)

sound like it should just be a harness issue... if it was the flasher, the rear turn signal shouldnt be working either.. it really sounds like it should just be the front bulb is out.

do you have a tow hitch? if so try removing the wiring for that. my turn signal was acting very strange and eventually wouldnt turn off. i cut the trailer wiring out and it was perfect, turns out the control module went bad, replaced it and all was well.

if it was me, i would first check all of my bulbs to make sure they were the right ones as well (single filament) then i would check all of the wires going to the bulbs on that side. especially where the wires snake behind the headlamp assemblies. its pretty easy to remove the front bumper if you have the proper torx bit (just dont touch the two torx bolts between the grill and headlights)

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    (just dont touch the two torx bolts between the grill and headlights)
    Never heard that before... what happens?

vt_mav, the torx bolts between the headlights and the grill are just cosmetic and they are held in by a thin metal strip behind the cladding. If you back them out you could lose the little metal strip......ask me how I know.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Well there you go, I was reading it as "Whatever you do, DON'T remove the two screws!" I thought maybe it opened a portal to an alternate universe or something.

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    vt_mav, the torx bolts between the headlights and the grill are just cosmetic and they are held in by a thin metal strip behind the cladding. If you back them out you could lose the little metal strip......ask me how I know.

oh I was referring to the fact that when those screws come out your muffler bearing seizes and allows your blinker fluid to leak out, which we all know is extremely dangerous!

you should have used a left handed screwdriver....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guys, I went out and checked - and its not a loose ground (as take a voltmeter to the hot and a fully established ground still read no voltage).

I have also noticed that my right parking lamp is also out. Is there a right side lights fuse?

Just try changing the parking lamp bulb. It could be burnt out and causing either a shorted or open circuit for that side or your lighting circuit.

ISSUE SOLVED:
    After removing the bumper I found bread in the area behind the flasher and then saw that a Squirrel had set up shop and had chewed through and completely severed the bundle of wires that contains the turn signal, the low note horn, the fog/driving light, leaving only the radiator cooling fan unscathed.

All fixed after a couple minutes of splicing..

You know, I had a feeling that's what the problem was all along, I just hadn't wanted to say it and make myself sound like some sort of know-it-all.

Probably safe to say that wasn't in the troubleshooting flow-chart in the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by atilla_the_fun View Post
    ISSUE SOLVED:
    After removing the bumper I found bread in the area behind the flasher and then saw that a Squirrel had set up shop and had chewed through and completely severed the bundle of wires that contains the turn signal, the low note horn, the fog/driving light, leaving only the radiator cooling fan unscathed.

All fixed after a couple minutes of splicing..
    A cupla years ago, a squirrel cause about $800 damage to the RV by chewing up wires (O2 sensor & coil wires).

You may want to keep an electronic pest repeller plugged in near where you park your VX. They carry them at Lowes in the lawn & garden section.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.