Thread: "Showroom New" Trim Restorer- info & experience

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post

I'd also like to do the hood insert.....it still has R/R on it, although it's peeling on the leading edge. I did find the dye seemed to penetrate the R/R in a few areas it still remained on the cladding.
    I fail to understand why people (admittedly myself at times) are tempted to treat the hood insert with the same plastic treatments we apply to our cladding.

The hood insert is entirely different material. It is traditional matte black auto paint, not solid raw molded polypropylene (sp?) like our cladding is. The dyes and refinishes designed for our plastic cladding are not appropriate imho, for the surface paint of the hood insert. Simply because they are similar colors does not mean they should be treated the same.

BTW: I pulled the trigger on two bottles of black dye. Your trail rash pics sold me Kat.

I intend on cleaning my cladding with denatured alcohol, wait till it evaporates, then dye. Walmart has some terrycloth coated sponge applicators similar to what you used. I may or may not top it off with the last of my R/R if I decide it needs a touch of gloss, but we shall see!?
    Last edited by Grif : 03/17/2011 at 07:43 PM Reason: Added info