Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: "Showroom New" Trim Restorer- info & experience

Quote Originally Posted by Child's Play View Post
    You actually need to "cut" the dye when using the sprayer with Mineral Spirits
    is there documentation or a recommended dilution/cut ratio?

Quote Originally Posted by JAMAS View Post
    is there documentation or a recommended dilution/cut ratio?
    Yes, the ratio is in the included instruction, I believe it is 2-1 MS to Dye, but don't quote me

CP

Quote Originally Posted by Child's Play View Post
    but don't quote me

Have either of you (CP or Sue) tried to use this stuff on roof racks, spoilers, door handles, etc?

From their site....

For the Black dye a 2 mineral spirits to 1 dye ratio is about right but check your manual for its own ratio needs.

The Grey dye is thicker and is approximately a 3:1 ratio. Watch the sprayer for spitting.

From their site....

For the Black dye a 2 mineral spirits to 1 dye ratio is about right but check your manual for its own ratio needs.

The Grey dye is thicker and is approximately a 3:1 ratio. Watch the sprayer for spitting.
    Just checked my notes (yes, I'm anal retentive) when I got home.... Used 2-1 ratio MS - Dye.

Used on Door Handles only as they are the same plastic as the cladding... I did not use on the roof rack, spoiler or hood insert as I was not sold that this would do the trick... Painting my hood insert and may paint my mirrors body color.... Not sure what I'm going to do with the rack & spoiler at this point

Have either of you (CP or Sue) tried to use this stuff on roof racks, spoilers, door handles, etc?
    I did door handles, very lightly and yes, it did act like it was cladding. I also skipped doing the mirrors, rails, spoiler or insert as I didn't think it would absorb the same, since it seems to be s shiny, smooth, denser "plastic".

Did you buy gray or just black? Are you mixing color? just curious.... and yes the gray is thicker, so the mfg told me to add the black TO the gray when I mixed it.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Ditto what the others have said. Terrycloth covered foam pads for first coat, waited about an hour to dry, followed by preval sprayer diluted 2:1 with mineral spirits. Used approx 1.5 bottles of all black. Door handles OK, pretty much anything else NOT OK as the stuff wont penetrate correctly.

As an aside, I did test the the half moon area with some Refinish Restorer afterward and advise against it. The solvents in RR will lift the dye and cause streaking, which was easily fixed with more Showroom New dye.

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    As an aside, I did test the the half moon area with some Refinish Restorer afterward and advise against it. The solvents in RR will lift the dye and cause streaking, which was easily fixed with more Showroom New dye.
    I want to make sure I understand correctly......

So, "refinish restorer" is bad on the half moon after applying the "showroom new", but Showroom New applied to the half moon withOUT any additional restoring products is ok?

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Did you buy gray or just black? Are you mixing color?
    I am going all black. My VX is already all blacked out so I figure the blacker the better. As long as it isn't shiny, I'll be happy.

Showroom new eliminates the need for any kind of armorall type product. It makes the plastic and not shiny. Good stuff. Mud has no effect on it. Still nice and black.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

I want to make sure I understand correctly......

So, "refinish restorer" is bad on the half moon after applying the "showroom new", but Showroom New applied to the half moon withOUT any additional restoring products is ok?
    Correct, I used SN on the half moon, came out beautiful, no streaks at all cuz it's a small area and you can apply it easily in continuous strokes. ....and just to muddy it up a bit..I left the R/R on my half moon and didn't blast it off with the pressure washer...and the SN went on and soaked in apparently just fine.

DId you start on it yesterday?

(Those white streaks at the top of the moon are just in the picture, think it was snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Showroom new eliminates the need for any kind of armorall type product. It makes the plastic and not shiny. Good stuff. Mud has no effect on it. Still nice and black.
    Gotta believe that if you don't treat it with a detailing product at least occasionally you'll need to do this again eventually though. But since it sounds like application is about the same as 2-3 coats of B2B / Armor All / TS-1 maybe preventative maintenance isn't worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Gotta believe that if you don't treat it with a detailing product at least occasionally you'll need to do this again eventually though. But since it sounds like application is about the same as 2-3 coats of B2B / Armor All / TS-1 maybe preventative maintenance isn't worth it.
    I suppose. But how many years does it take to fade the new dye back to a gray color again? I guess we will find out. I can tell you that getting it muddy and pressure washing it had no effect on the color.
    I never putting anything else on it again!! SN or nothing.

Does it have a UV protectant? Did the original cladding have a UV inhibitor? I'd think sun would be far more damaging over time than mud or water.