Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: "Showroom New" Trim Restorer- info & experience

I don't always restore cladding........

but when I do, I use SHOWROOM NEW TRIM RESTORER!!!! This stuff did an unbelievable job on my completely faded cladding on my new VX. I used straight black, applying two coats; one by hand and the second using a Preval Sprayer. Anyone can do this with some patience. Here's some pics. for the people still on the fence.

A big shout out to Sue (VX Kat) for being the first to try this!!!!!!

Last edited by Child's Play : 07/07/2011 at 06:03 AM Reason: Align Pictures

I think you guys are spending way too much time on the application. I just used a greenie and dish soap to clean the cladding, quick and dirty. I then brushed it on with a crappy Harbor Freight paint brush. No fancy feathering, not sponging, one coat covered it just fine. The imperfections will wash out over time. I have had mine covered in mud, dragged across a mud bank, scratched the cladding, its still black. Great stuff!!!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    I think you guys are spending way too much time on the application. I just used a greenie and dish soap to clean the cladding, quick and dirty. I then brushed it on with a crappy Harbor Freight paint brush. No fancy feathering, not sponging, one coat covered it just fine. The imperfections will wash out over time. I have had mine covered in mud, dragged across a mud bank, scratched the cladding, its still black. Great stuff!!!
    Um, yeah, we've seen what you "do" to yer truck Marlin......... ...
    Some of us actually like to have a good coat of "clean" to look at on ours...and with nice cladding too!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by Child's Play View Post
    but when I do, I use SHOWROOM NEW TRIM RESTORER!!!! This stuff did an unbelievable job on my completely faded cladding on my new VX. I used straight black, applying two coats; one by hand and the second using a Preval Sprayer. Anyone can do this with some patience. Here's some pics. for the people still on the fence.

A big shout out to Sue (VX Kat) for being the first to try this!!!!!!

[/LEFT]
    WoW! that's amazing! That darker shade looks soooooo good with the Ebony! And the cladding screws really accent it nicely! Did you paint them silver or replace with stainless?

Painted

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    WoW! that's amazing! That darker shade looks soooooo good with the Ebony! And the cladding screws really accent it nicely! Did you paint them silver or replace with stainless?
    Painted with Kaiser Silver and cleared..... Gonna paint the hood insert the same color due to it being so oxidized.... Hopefully will look pretty good when completed.

Yarp, looks great! Thats quite an improvement.

You need to edit your post and press enter after each picture. That way they stack vertically vs horizontally.

Quote Originally Posted by samneil2000 View Post
    You need to edit your post and press enter after each picture. That way they stack vertically vs horizontally.
    Done..... Thanks for the info... The looked vertical to me so I don't know why they were horizontal for you.

CP

Done..... Thanks for the info... The looked vertical to me so I don't know why they were horizontal for you.

CP
    Are you using a Mac? I have a Mac, and the gang taught me to hit return after each pic.

Looks amazing. I am definitely gonna do it.

How did you like that sprayer thing?...much overspray?

and what did you do about your mirrors? I too have mirror covers (Carbon Fiber)

Quote Originally Posted by JAMAS View Post
    Looks amazing. I am definitely gonna do it.

How did you like that sprayer thing?...much overspray?

and what did you do about your mirrors? I too have mirror covers (Carbon Fiber)
    I really liked how the Preval Sprayer worked overall. It gave the tint a nice, "smooth" appearance compared to wiping it on with a terry cloth on the first coat. I would suggest doing the first coat as I did and using the sprayer for the second as you don't want to have to put a lot on with the sprayer as to prevent runs of the dye.

As far as overspray, yes, there is some. You can see in the pics. that I used 2" painters tape around all of the areas I was going to spray. There was still overspray above the tape, but just use Mineral Spirits and it comes right off. I would still use the tape so that you do not have to get close to the cladding with Mineral Spirits when cleaning up, or you could just use plastic above the tape. I think it was quicker just to clean up afterwards with mineral spirits.

Didn't do anything with the mirrors yet.... I'm thinking about painting them body color (at least where the chrome mirror covers are not), but not sure yet.

P.S. I used two entire bottles for the cladding and half moon for two coats.... Just an FYI for anyone looking for usage.
    Last edited by Child's Play : 07/07/2011 at 10:45 AM Reason: Added information

I am about to place an order for some cladding juice.....

A few questions before I click "buy"...

1. will 2 bottles get the job done?
    2. Should I apply the first coat with terry cloth or foam brush?
    3. How long should I let the first coat dry, before I apply a second coat with preval sprayer?

3. How long should I let the first coat dry, before I apply a second coat with preval sprayer?
    Jamas,
    Here's my 2 cents to your questions:

1. Two bottles got the job done for me with a little left over and my cladding was in BAD shape. You actually need to "cut" the dye when using the sprayer with Mineral Spirits, so the 2nd coat goes a lot further than the 1st that is applied by the terry cloth.

2. I used those round terry cloth wax pads that you can find at Wal_mart or any automotive store. I applied liberally for my 1st coat covering small areas at a time before re-applying the dye to the pad.

3. I let mine dry overnight, but I'm sure you can do it sooner.... There is timing in the included instructions with the dye.

Hope this helps...

CP

I used a crappy harbor freight brush. As for the time, by the time I was done with the first coat....oh wait, it only took one coat One bottle did the whole truck, now I have a full bottle sitting in my garage....just in case.

Jamas,
    Here's my 2 cents to your questions:

1. Two bottles got the job done for me with a little left over and my cladding was in BAD shape. You actually need to "cut" the dye when using the sprayer with Mineral Spirits, so the 2nd coat goes a lot further than the 1st that is applied by the terry cloth.
    I used 1.5 bottles on my 1st coat, but some (like Grif) have reported using far less, so I must have put it on extra thick or something. ** And remember, DO NOT try to stretch the product...it just ends up too thin, drying too quickly and you can't easily smooth out the streaks.** ALSO..... I'd buy 3 bottles....I ended up re-ordering 3 times () cuz I used it up doing 4 coats.....now you won't be doing 4 coats I presume, but I'd definitely have an extra bottle on hand. In fact, cuz I'm such a genius and mixed the 2 colors, I have to have 2 extra bottles on hand...

2. I used those round terry cloth wax pads that you can find at Wal_mart or any automotive store. I applied liberally for my 1st coat covering small areas at a time before re-applying the dye to the pad. If you're going to do 1st coat by hand and 2nd coat with sprayer, I think either the sponge brush or the terry covered sponge would be fine for 1st coat. I actually preferred the terry covered sponge, Seems like it held lots of product and I could control a bit how I expelled it.
    **but be ware of allowing your fingers to imprint on the terry sponge or sponge brush, as it'll make streaks that way....apply it with an even pressure. If you're getting streaks, try doing it with fingers perpendicular to ground.

3. I let mine dry overnight, but I'm sure you can do it sooner.... There is timing in the included instructions with the dye.
    It says something like 2 hrs to dry but I DEFINITELY saw a change after 6+ hrs....it just got better and better with time.....so I'd wait at least that long, but agree with CP...overnight would be best.

Hope this helps...

CP
    Definitely do small sections at a time. And try to do the entire door panels in one full stroke, from edge to edge, it will look better that way...but this may be irrelevant since you're going to be spraying a 2nd coat.

Good luck...take lots of pics!!