Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: "Showroom New" Trim Restorer- info & experience

Quote Originally Posted by ssignature View Post
    I applied Showroom New to our Vx "Elvira" last weekend and was not at all happy with the results. I read everyone's posts on the procedure and was very careful to clean the cladding and strip any residue off. I applied a total of three coats and used liberal amounts, but in the end the streaking was unacceptable. I'm told that it's likely that the cladding had previously been treated and therefore wouldn't absorb the Showroom New. There is a little evidence of that since in some sections it scratches with my fingernail to gray, but in other sections it doesn't.
    Bottom line: It's getting Line-x'ed Monday.

What applicator did you use?

How long did you let it dry between the 3 coats?

Take any pics?
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

I bought some pads that have microfiber cloth on the outside and foam on the inside-- palm sized. I used enough Showroom New that it didn't run, but wasn't drying out. I waited about a hour between coats. Each coat was as streaky as the last. I shook it thoroughly in the bottle and mixed it up again in a glass jar. Applied it in 70 degree weather out of the sun. Basically, I followed all of the advice I've seen. I absolutely believe it had previously been treated. I really can't blame the product. Maybe I should have wiped it down with acetone prior to applying it, but the manufacturer's instructions said soap & water (used purple power), rinsed it and let it dry. I'm not upset, Line-X is a better solution anyway.

ALSO>>> I applied some to the step on the back bumper of my 2000 Rodeo and it looks flawless.

Quote Originally Posted by ssignature View Post
    I bought some pads that have microfiber cloth on the outside and foam on the inside-- palm sized. I used enough Showroom New that it didn't run, but wasn't drying out. I waited about a hour between coats. Each coat was as streaky as the last. I shook it thoroughly in the bottle and mixed it up again in a glass jar. Applied it in 70 degree weather out of the sun. Basically, I followed all of the advice I've seen. I absolutely believe it had previously been treated. I really can't blame the product. Maybe I should have wiped it down with acetone prior to applying it, but the manufacturer's instructions said soap & water (used purple power), rinsed it and let it dry. I'm not upset, Line-X is a better solution anyway.

ALSO>>> I applied some to the step on the back bumper of my 2000 Rodeo and it looks flawless.
    Yeah the Line-X will look great!
    I think it may have been much better if you let each coat dry more like 6+ hrs or more (despite what bottle says). I found it looked significantly different from one hour drying time vs. 6 - 24 hr drying. Don't know why, but the streaks definitely went away.

I've noticed the streaking on other VX's I've seen in person too, but it does seem to vary from truck to truck, probably depending on what was done in the past as you suggest. Good luck with the Line-X, I can't recall anyone here ever being unhappy with the result so I'm sure you'll be happy. Be sure to post pics!!!

Line-x Is Da Bomb

Just got the Vx Line-X'ed today. did the cladding and the hood insert (with a hood scoop). OMG. OMG. Best $600 you can ever spend. Ride on maypops but get your cladding Line-X'ed. Pics to follow when the sun comes up.

I have a new project VX and was thinking of doing the Line-X on the cladding too. Spoke with a racer buddy who sprays it, told me it would not stick. So I am definitely interested in how it holds up for you.

PS: Look for a new build thread coming soon......

I did a lot of research on it. The info about it not sticking is old. They've had products and techniques to shoot it on to plastic cladding for a number of years.

Has anyone else tried Marlin's application method? I am all for the easy method. I am have currently applied a couple of test spots. If there is a second to Marlins method that is the one I will use.

Armour All came out with a new item that makes your cladding look like new. Very easy. Wipe on , let sit a bit then wipe off. I put two coats on my V and it looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by 1beres View Post
    Armour All came out with a new item that makes your cladding look like new. Very easy. Wipe on , let sit a bit then wipe off. I put two coats on my V and it looks great.
    Show room new does not need to be wiped off, touched up or redone. I did mine a few years ago, still looks black. Maybe Billy will jump on here and attest to it. His VX has faded grey cladding, mine still looks black and new compared to it. I even did the gas cap cover since I had a bit of overlap, its still on there...lol

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

agree with Chris on the look, the one I have at his house is almost gray, the other one I did looks the same as Chris's dark black and never been touched since I did it almost 2 years ago.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    My cladding is being done right NOW!!

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    I have a new project VX and was thinking of doing the Line-X on the cladding too. Spoke with a racer buddy who sprays it, told me it would not stick. So I am definitely interested in how it holds up for you.

PS: Look for a new build thread coming soon......
    Apparently the trick is to rough it up/chemcal clean/etch/prime...

...then fully envelope the cladding inside and out.

The line-X bonds to itself (obviously!)..and by enveloping the cladding
    this helps avoid peel away at edges.

Cost at Line-X San Diego for this treatment .........$600.

Jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Exactly.

And those dealers that don't understand that, don't want to do it. Talking to my guy, if they do understand it, they'll generally give you the lifetime warranty. 600 seems to be the magic number.
    Last edited by ssignature : 04/08/2013 at 04:49 PM Reason: addition

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Yup....

My guy says some dealers are just P/Up bed guys...and dont want to venture into anything else....
    ........so quote CRAZY prices to deter people.

Luckily my guy is excited...he loves doing strange stuff.

His warranty....lifetime...and if I badly scratch the cladding...just take off the piece
    and he'll re-shoot it before any chance of it starting to peel......

Seems like a great deal to me.

I'm getting "satin" finish, medium texture...with UV protection.

Jo

That sounds like exactly what we got. My guy says the same thing, he's excited to try new things. And since he's owned 3 Troopers, he loved seeing (and test driving) the Vx. When we were in getting some stuff touched up, he was showing off the Vx, telling someone, "This is the VehiCross I told you about!" Love it.