Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Check engine light

Check engine light

exessive flow. EGR valve. I have changed the EGR valve, the throttle position sensor, the mass air flow sensor. From reading some of the threads I will try to clean the small tube coming from the EGR valve. Man I hope this works. Renewal time is coming to a close and I can't get the light to go away! Codes are:P0402 and P1404. Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Frank Willen : 02/22/2011 at 07:32 PM Reason: Not enough info.

Looks like for the most part, you are going to need use of a Tech 2 to run som diagnostics.
    A couple of things you can do in the mean time are check the plug for the egr, and any wiring going to it. Make sure there army any cracks or places for it to short. Check the pins inside the plug that goes to EGR.
    Sounds like the EGR could just need a good cleaning.
    Make sure thAt the nut didn't come loose under the EGR.
    Bout all I got for ya.
    Do some searches, and Im sure there's more info out there and how tos on cleaning the EGR , and the tube.

The PO402 code is EGR pintle position error
    The PO404 code is EGR pintle open/stuck
    So definatly try cleaning the EGR first. Make sure the pintle will move up and down easily without dragging, or hanging up.

Playing with it tonight. Crossing my fingers! Thanks for the help.

I misreAd your code last night,
    P1404 is EGR stuck closed
    I'd clean it....

Thank you for all your help. I got the light off in the morning and inspected on the way home. Very Happy! But then, it became apparent there is a new problem. Ever heard of the blinker turning off the cruise control? That was the first sign of something weird. Then I noticed getting on the highway under power the engine was surging with the blinker?????? Any ideas?

Are you pushing the pedals when you turn on the blinker? Just kidding...

That is VERY weird. Maybe time to disassemble the "stalk" and see if something's wrong? Would almost have to be something electrical or mechanical there since those controls are on the same piece of plastic.

Or so says the guy still aspiring to be a shade tree mechanic, much less a real mechanic.

Frank I had that problem with my blinkers. There are a couple of causes. First is LED tail lights. If they are installed without a load resistor, this can happen. Try driving with your headlights turned off, when I had that problem, it only happened with headlights on.

The other is a bad ground on trailer wiring. Try disconneting any wiring for a trailer comig from your tail lights.

Basically your turn signal is grounding through your brake lights. If you watch closely at night, I bet you can see your tail lights flicker with the turn signal when all your lights are turned off

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Sounds Like A Dirty Egr Or Bad Wiring.

Anthony

Hoped I had it solved. I went to Uhaul and had them replace the hitch plug and converter. Took it down the street set the cruise control, hit the blinker and "pop" up comes the throttle. Gonna check my fuses. Also, thanks etlsport. I have LED running/brake lights didn't think it would affect anything but I'm gonna pull them and put in a pair of incandescents. See what happens. Thanks all for the help. I love my VX I will not give up! It's the "Vehicross in the snow" truck on Youtube. TOOO much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Willen View Post
    Hoped I had it solved. I went to Uhaul and had them replace the hitch plug and converter. Took it down the street set the cruise control, hit the blinker and "pop" up comes the throttle. Gonna check my fuses. Also, thanks etlsport. I have LED running/brake lights didn't think it would affect anything but I'm gonna pull them and put in a pair of incandescents. See what happens. Thanks all for the help. I love my VX I will not give up! It's the "Vehicross in the snow" truck on Youtube. TOOO much fun.
    If the trailer hitch wiring didnt do anything, its more than likely a problem caused by the LED tail/brake lights. either switch them out for incandescent or put load resistors around them like you would on turn signals

I know on mine when it was happening, if i had the car in park and hit the turn signal, i could hear the shift lock releasing in the center console too (this could save you trying to drive and test with cruise control. if yours make the same sound, just see if the sound goes away with each thing you change)

if you do a search for "turn signal cruise control" you will find my old thread on this lighting issue and what i did to locate the problem/solve it

I knew a guy who once put black electrical tape over his check engine light so he wouldn't have to look at it...

IF your engine is surging with your blinker then your available voltage to your coils may be rising and falling in synch with the turn signal. I would check your alternator...right now. yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenezr View Post
    I knew a guy who once put black electrical tape over his check engine light so he wouldn't have to look at it...

IF your engine is surging with your blinker then your available voltage to your coils may be rising and falling in synch with the turn signal. I would check your alternator...right now. yesterday.
    The reason for the surging (and turning off cruise control) is that the turn signal is grounding through the brake light. so when the turn signal illuminates, the vehicle thinks you hit the brake pedal as well. this causes the cruise control to disengage and the torque converter to release (causing the rpms to jump) while the rpms are surging, either taking your foot completely off the gas or putting it hard on the gas will reduce the surging until you get it completely taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    The reason for the surging (and turning off cruise control) is that the turn signal is grounding through the brake light. so when the turn signal illuminates, the vehicle thinks you hit the brake pedal as well. this causes the cruise control to disengage and the torque converter to release (causing the rpms to jump) while the rpms are surging, either taking your foot completely off the gas or putting it hard on the gas will reduce the surging until you get it completely taken care of.
    This sounds quite plausable. but once a crusie control is fooled to off doesn't it stay off. so you would get one rise in rpm. I'm thinking it wouldn't keep cycling with each blink....

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenezr View Post
    This sounds quite plausable. but once a crusie control is fooled to off doesn't it stay off. so you would get one rise in rpm. I'm thinking it wouldn't keep cycling with each blink....
    yes, it stays off. the cruise control is "unrelated" to the throttle surging. they are caused by the same problem, but the cruise control switching off is not causing the surging, its the torque converter disengaging every time the brake sensor is tripped by the turn signal, that causes the surging.

the cruise control turning off is just another side effect... the last one is if you start the car and turn on the turn signal, you can put it into gear without using the brake pedal