Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: quarter glass

quarter glass

Has anyone ever taken the smaller glass out? The one directly behind the driver and passenger windows. I want to do something with them, like make a hinge and arm to vent, or make them easily removeable. It's for my doggies that sit in the back, gets warm back there even with the a/c blasting.

Any ideas?

Hopefully I'll have time to look into it this weekend, removal shouldn't be that hard. But finding something to make a hinge and arm with, or something that will attach it firmly (weather proof) and still remove quickly will be a challenge.

I was thinking about doing this as well but my VX is still in the shop so I cant even look at it to start coming up with something.

They are just glued in place. Any body shop can take one off for a bout 20 bucks and put on for about the same or glass guy $25

Yeah I imagine a glass guy can, but I like to break, errr... do things myself. I want to be able to decide on the spot to pull them out and put them back in just as fast.

I was googlin' and couldn't find anything quickly. But what I was thinking was removing the small glass, permanently attach a foam seal, something like a door seal weather strip, and then finding a way to mount it to the truck with ease of removal by maybe some wing nuts and a bolt attached to the truck body? It would have to sandwich the window between a couple plates, or washers on 4 corners? Not really sure what direction to go with, but end result would be awesome for the dogs. They should be able to stick their heads out the window "holes" and get some fresh air.

funny you brought up this idea....

I was thinkin' it would be nice to be able to open the rear glass. Our Vx's are so short, nothing fits in it...

biggest hurdle I see for any of these mods, is how to create hinges... most factory pieces have holes already in them for hinges or latches
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I was wondering how safe it may be to drill into the glas. Use a very sharp bit and very little pressure... May not be the best way to do it.

Then I was thinking about cutting the glue and removing the glass and buying some more glue just to put it back in when I want or need.

a glass shop may have the right drills, don't use a regular drill or will break, they are hole saws with abrasive edges.

Thanks, I'll check into one locally.

This would be cool. Not the same as being able to open them all the way, but a lot of minivans and what not have those windows that are hinged on one end and open a couple inches to vent. That should be enough to help pull some of that air from the front windows back out so it's not like a wind tunnel in there. Not sure how you would do the hinge part. I did a quick google search and found some electrical motors for opening and closing those windows. Would take some engineering, but man, what a sweet mod!

My first thought was to put a hinge just like those on the windows but I kept thinking about why I'm wanting to do it, for the doggies, and that complete removal would be their choice.

Well I figured out what it's going to take to get the window out, just got to find out how to make it "detachable". I was thinking about putting 3 or 4 metal tabs, probably welded, to the inside of the body around the window hole, drill matching holes through the glass (I bought glass bits yesterday) and use something super simple like wing nuts to attach the glass back in place. I imagine the hardware will only show on the inside of the window/interior plastic by about half an inch. Should still be well within the recesses of the plastic sides.

Thoughts on this? I would attach some weather stripping to it and I am sure it would have to be at least flush with the outside of the truck to minimize catching wind and putting strain on the mouting tabs and hardware.

what about the hinges used on the old vw beatle rear pop outs...... http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/mid-a...-fullsize.html

It looks like that wondow has a metal frame around it, and the hinge is welded to it. Not that it couldn't be done and mounted to the glass itself though. If I go the hinge route it will have to be easily removed from the mounted point or hinge somehow since I've decided beyond just the pop out window I want it to completely be removeable. If I can get that with a pop out hinge set up that would be the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Luna X View Post
    funny you brought up this idea....

I was thinkin' it would be nice to be able to open the rear glass. Our Vx's are so short, nothing fits in it...

biggest hurdle I see for any of these mods, is how to create hinges... most factory pieces have holes already in them for hinges or latches
    Would be sweet if you could roll down the rear glass into the tailgate just like the 4Runner's.

Wouldn't that hit the spare tire?