Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about barefoot driving.

Angry How do you feel about barefoot driving.

I get so peeved that my daughter tries to drive without shoes or just in sandals. I just don't believe that one can brake properly in an impending bad accident situation. I have been after her for 4 years now "drive with shoes on %$#@!" and she just doesn't get it. She is home from college for the weekend and twice now has tried to drive my VX without shoes. Augh!

i cant drive in sandals at all, my feet slip around and its just not a good situation..

when im wearing sandals i do drive barefoot, never had any real issues, but anytime i do, i have the air conditioning blasting in the footwell area to prevent sweat etc from making me slip

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Well when I took drivers ed years ago I came with my flip flops on and the driving instructor made me drive barefoot instead of using the flip flops because she said they are dangerous because the flip flop can get caught on the pedals. So your daughter driving barefoot might be better then making her put sandals or flip flops on.

That being said though I have never worn anything but flip flops to drive in the summer since then and had no problems so far haha.

As someone who wears sandals alot....(Rainbows) I have NEVER had one issue with them. And I never take them off to drive with a barefoot on the pedal. I would however believe it has a lot to do with the individual as well.

I have driven barefoot many times, and never had any trouble. The pedals are not that comfortable on bare feet (doubt the designers had this in mind), and I'd say that the gas pedal feels much smaller. I wouldn't wear flip flops because the pedals are very close together and might get caught on them.
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.

My VehiCROSS

This is NOT what I want to hear!!!!!! You all need to reaffirm that braking just can't be as aggressive when needed cause your afraid your little footy is going to hurt!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnalVX View Post
    I wouldn't wear flip flops because the pedals are very close together and might get caught on them.
    That would be exactly my observation. I've had difficulty driving with flip-flops or soccer slides (JHarris, is that was you meant by rainbows?) because they tend to catch the bottom of the pedal. I do drive with closed-toe sandals on a lot in the summer and have never had a problem with them. I've also drive from time-to-time barefoot, but only when I was wearing flops or just driving the VX down the beach. Barefoot is much more safe than flops IMHO.

Imho

driving barefoot is fine and safe solong as you do not mind risking getting athletes foot or other foot fungus from another driver. This is like using bowling shoes at the bowling alley without them spraying the shoes first. Sandals and othe loose footwear can cause dangerous situations as they are not securely attached to your feet. Sure they are no problem when everythig is fine but if an emergency situation pops up it can cause danger
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

:flame2

I'm a gimp anyways, thanks to a drunk driver, and my left leg looks like chopped liver from knee to toe. In that case, I almost never even wear sandals. Heck, very rarely even wear shorts since my left calf looks like a pencil next to my right calf. Plus, it tends to hurt walking bare foot for my left foot with the nerve damage I have. Every step feels like 50 tacks being rammed into my heel.

So, nope, "I" don't drive barefoot. I do wear DC track shoes when I autoX though (and almost every day for the hell of it) and they have very little sole, so maybe it's as close to barefoot as I will ever get in a car. As for how I feel about other drivers driving barefoot.... I have no "major" issue with it until they hit me. I do tend to believe it impairs their pedal operation slightly, especially with a clutch, but that's just my opinion.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Rainbow sandals is the brand...they conform to your foot with a memory type insole. Something to check out if you are into wearing sandals. They have a great warranty...along the lines of a free replacement if anything goes wrong with them if you have have not worn through the sole yet. Maybe I could see this slipping issue if I was to wear a generic foam flip flop say those from Old Navy come to mind, but with the ones I wear there is no issue at all.

I have even driven with my five fingers as well...those are as close as you can get to barefoot. Five fingers is a brand name not literally my fingers. Another shoe that if you do not know about is worth a look. You can get a great workout in them when hiking...etc.

Oh, I get it...

Under no circumstances should anyone ANYWHERE EVER drive without proper footwear! Proper footwear meaning fully covered preferably over-the-ankle in case of twisting shoes or boots with adequate cushioning on the insole of the shoe for comfort, and good tread on the soles to prevent shoes from slipping off pedals.

WormGod I am sorry to hear this but you arre my friend. :0)

and you too, noctournalVX

Rainbow's are God's sandals!!!!