Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: After almost 10 years and over 100,000 miles...

After almost 10 years and over 100,000 miles...

My VX still amazes me!
    We got hit with a blizzard Tuesday, Feb.1st. My VehiCROSS got me home from work that night even though it had to get through a three foot snow drift just to make it out of my parking spot (no, I wasn't parked halfway up a wall of snow to begin with). However, my "check trans" light started flashing about 2/3 of the way home. I moved the VX back & forth in front of the house a bit on Wed. afternoon to see if there was any trouble. The trouble light was not on anymore and it shifted fine, so I shut it down & went inside. I used the VX to get a neighbor's car un-stuck, and it ran great (amazed a few people too).
    I stopped at a red light on the way to work that Thursday, and when the light turned green... nothing. Like it was in neutral.
    The owner manual said it may need to be shifted manually, so I threw it in first... nothing. Tried 4LOW... nothing. Winter Mode... success! Drove to work and back home, and then drove it to the dealer on Friday... fully expecting it to refuse to move forward at any moment. Dead stop to highway speeds using Winter Mode. Awesome!
    Does the story get even better? With a little more than 5 months and a little less than 7000 miles left... it is still under warranty, so the new transmission was free!
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.

My VehiCROSS

WOW!...on several levels!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Thumbs up Yeah, WOW!

The VehiCROSS just would not let me down, and just keeps on pleasing. The dealer I took it to was a positive experience too (and not just because I got a new trans. for free). Tony and all the guys at Mancari's Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep in Oak Lawn, IL were cool. Unlike the crooks at Evanston Subaru that wanted ME to pay $6800 for a new trans. 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnalVX View Post
    The VehiCROSS just would not let me down, and just keeps on pleasing. The dealer I took it to was a positive experience too (and not just because I got a new trans. for free). Tony and all the guys at Mancari's Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep in Oak Lawn, IL were cool. Unlike the crooks at Evanston Subaru that wanted ME to pay $6800 for a new trans. 2 years ago.
    Whoo hoo! Love these stories. I'm currently out traveling for work and got a new Charger as a rental. Blah. I want my VX back... Can't wait to get back home.

A Charger for a rental? Way nicer than the Nissan Versa I had for the week my VX was getting fixed!

My VX has done something similar before, but when I cleaned and repacked my shift mode selector, it was mo-betta. I would hate it if folks were getting new trannies when that selector is the culprit. Thinking a dealer isn't really gonna give a damn (as if there was an ISUZU dealer even around me anymore).

Rentals? Take it and like it. My STi was in the shop for some "stuff" a couple months ago and my loaner was a KIA Spectra (I couldn't make this !@#$ up). I mean c'mon, from plenty of hp/tq, to absolutely NONE. Needless to say, it stayed parked in my driveway for 5 days and I drove the VX.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

I love a happy ending

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
    My VX has done something similar before, but when I cleaned and repacked my shift mode selector, it was mo-betta. I would hate it if folks were getting new trannies when that selector is the culprit. Thinking a dealer isn't really gonna give a damn (as if there was an ISUZU dealer even around me anymore).
    Is that the same thing as the transmission mode switch, neutral safety switch, etc.? If so I replaced mine a few months ago but kept the original one in the garage. It only failed twice (both on the same day) so I thought there might be a good chance that someone could refurbish it someday.

Let me know if you (or anyone else) want it for a spare.

vt mav, isn't there a rebuild thread for the mode selector switch somewhere on here? If you don't want the switch that you have I will happily take it and try to rebuild it. Mine hasn't failed yet after 105k (knock on wood), but it would be good to have one to practice on before I have to tear into mine.

To be clear, are we talking about the module that attaches to the transmission and helps to select the gears?
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Is that the same thing as the transmission mode switch, neutral safety switch, etc.? If so I replaced mine a few months ago but kept the original one in the garage. It only failed twice (both on the same day) so I thought there might be a good chance that someone could refurbish it someday.

Let me know if you (or anyone else) want it for a spare.
    From the dealer invoice: "Check and found fault code P0218-Transmission Fluid Overtemp... Check the fluid level and condition and found it full and burnt... remove the trans pan and found lots of metal and clutch material..."

I'd say that my trouble was NOT a faulty mode position switch!

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
    I would hate it if folks were getting new trannies when that selector is the culprit. Thinking a dealer isn't really gonna give a damn (as if there was an ISUZU dealer even around me anymore).

Rentals? Take it and like it. My STi was in the shop for some "stuff" a couple months ago and my loaner was a KIA Spectra (I couldn't make this !@#$ up). I mean c'mon, from plenty of hp/tq, to absolutely NONE. Needless to say, it stayed parked in my driveway for 5 days and I drove the VX.
    If a dealer wants to give someone a free new transmission rather than a $150 part... kewlness! I would not pay out of pocket though.

I was hoping to get a Wrangler as a loaner, but the dealer didn't give loaners. I ended up renting the Versa. Hated it, but it was basic transportation and only for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    vt mav, isn't there a rebuild thread for the mode selector switch somewhere on here? If you don't want the switch that you have I will happily take it and try to rebuild it. Mine hasn't failed yet after 105k (knock on wood), but it would be good to have one to practice on before I have to tear into mine.

To be clear, are we talking about the module that attaches to the transmission and helps to select the gears?
    Yes. It wasn't easy to find, but here's the best thread about how to repair/clean it:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ht=mode+switch

$20 to cover shipping?

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnalVX View Post
    From the dealer invoice: "Check and found fault code P0218-Transmission Fluid Overtemp... Check the fluid level and condition and found it full and burnt... remove the trans pan and found lots of metal and clutch material..."

I'd say that my trouble was NOT a faulty mode position switch!
    Hmmm, Code P0218 = Fluid Overtemp. It most likely happened because you got too frisky during the snow storm and over stressed the AT by using too much skinny pedal input when playing in the snow. Sounds like a damn good idea to install a high quality aftermarket AT Transmission Cooler (especially those of us that have the KILBY belly-pan skid plates which may trap excess heat above the skid plates and not allow normal heat dissipation).

You're very fortunate your VX was still under factory warranty. The rest of us that have purchased our VX's as a "used vehicle" do not have that financial protection and would have to pay out-of-pocket for our aggressiveness.

Glad everthing worked out for you in the end, but there is a hard lesson to be learned from the experience-- Be nice to your VX, and it will be nice to you.

I was almost scared you were gonna say you were ready to sell!! Glad it was the other way around!! Same here, been snowing loads the last few days here in Reno and the VX simply ROCKS in the snow.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    I was almost scared you were gonna say you were ready to sell!! Glad it was the other way around!! Same here, been snowing loads the last few days here in Reno and the VX simply ROCKS in the snow.

Bart
    Same here
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Milwaukee WI