Thread: Headlight Removal/Replacement Bitch Session!

Headlight Removal/Replacement Bitch Session!

So, I had one of my headlight assembly rubber gaskets pull 99% of the way off two weeks ago; it was flapping around in the breeze like a mackeral while I was driving down the road, so I pulled over and completely removed it. I've had a pair of beautifully restored/polished complete headlight assemblies in my garage cabinet, complete with rubber gaskets already nicely glued on, so I figured I'd stick 'em on there this AM. FIVE HOURS LATER, I'm done! Both wrists/arms are all skinned up - that has GOT to be THE worst job on the VX! They must have built the entire truck around the headlight assemblies, as revenge for Hiroshima and Nagasaki...

O.K. - Rant off - at least it's D-U-N DONE!

did you do it with the front bumper on? when i did my HIDs, i pulled the front bumper and both headlights in 30 minutes

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    did you do it with the front bumper on? when i did my HIDs, i pulled the front bumper and both headlights in 30 minutes
    Yeah - I went through the driving light "holes" with a pivoting extension...

Hmm, I never had much of an issue with the headlights, and I have had them off quite a few times. Maybe that's why, heh.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Actually, I was thinking they built the truck around the thermostat, but maybe it's just the foxfires......
    I need to replAce my headlight gaskets too. Was figuring on just popping them out, but after this threAd, thinking the removal of front cladding will make things easier.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaVX View Post
    Actually, I was thinking they built the truck around the thermostat, but maybe it's just the foxfires......
    They did. The thermo is the heart of the VX. It all has to start somewhere.

That's funny stuff about the thermostat! It's no small task to replace that $5.00 part! ...I've heard talk about those headlight gaskets for years, but I've never seen them. I've had mine since 2003 & I don't think it ever had them. Guess I'm not missing much.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaVX View Post
    I need to replAce my headlight gaskets too. Was figuring on just popping them out, but after this threAd, thinking the removal of front cladding will make things easier.
    When I did mine I removed the front cladding. Was able to check on a few things with it off like rust on the front bumper. You could also do the side marker turn signal mod while it's off...

I did a write up that's in the How To section that might help you. It's in the Body Section and has helps on the gasket install as well as the cladding removal.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up