Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: LS1 Swap?

Wrench LS1 Swap?

I know this has probably been discussed before but my search didn't really come up with the answers I am looking for. I would really like to swap my engine with an LS1 in the future, I know that my transmission would need to be replaced as well. What transmission would be the best to use? and is there a transmission that can handle the power of the LS1 but also keep the 4WD capabilities? Also what other parts need replacing other than the engine and the transmission. A main problem in my case is I have barely any knowledge of how to work on cars so I will need to have a shop do most of the work (more like ALL of the work) Including labor and all im looking for a price estimate by someone who knows about this kinda thing. Im estimating around 10k for the swap but I do not know. Also, are there any other engine/transmission combinations that can make around 300-350hp other than the LS1? Thanks for any input!

(Also if everything ive asked has been discussed before dont be afraid to tell me im stupid and need to learn how to search better I have tough skin haha)

Oh and has an LS1 swap been done successfully on a VX before?

Yes it can be done.

By the way I tried to PM you back and it says you dont have any storage left

Anything can be done with enough skill and/or $$$$$.

Do a search for Ascinders build.

A few things that you will probably need to consider replacing alsp also include tcase and axles for something a bit beefier.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Im wondering if I could pretty much just find a shop that I could hand the vcross, an LS1, and 10k to and say do it however you can lol and I have read the thread on Ascinders build already.

Quote Originally Posted by Exclamation View Post
    By the way I tried to PM you back and it says you dont have any storage left
    Cleared.

Well..... first, what terrains would your VX be traveling upon?
    If it is a street queen, the stock axles should hold up fine IMO. You may be able to retain TOD that way, simplifing things. You would have to investigate the spline count for the input shaft of the t-case as well as the bolt pattern of the mount to the trans to discover what options you have.
    Don't limit yourself to just an LS1... let's say LSx. So then, if you are serious about the swap and figure out you can keep your t-case, be on the lookout for an engine+trans combo with computers. Otherwise, you need to find also a t-case with a passenger side drop that can bolt up to your new trans. At that point you may or may not have to change out your driveshafts. With a swap like this, modification to the rad support, firewall, trans tunnel, and perhaps floor may have to be performed to allow fitment. LS truck motors are dimensionally the same as the cars but the belt-driven accessories, intakes, and oil pans are different. So be on the lookout for car motors versus the truck motors to simplify fitment. Locations of the A/C compressor vary (low mount, near frame rail, would be problematic) and there are solutions to relocate - some affordable, some around $2000, believe it or not. I got my used complete 2006 aluminum 5.3 LS with 4L60E trans and wiring harness for $2000. Steering shaft, exhaust manifolds/headers, heater box, A/C system, radiator, crossmember, front diff, driveshaft, starter, oil pan, hood, inner fenders, etc... these are all potential clearance issues to address.

..............Good luck...............
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Coachreed on this forum got an LS1 into a VX, but never got everything hooked back up. In my opinion it's the little things that everyone usually overlooks that will mess up the swap. Sure physically you can fit it, but what about all the computer interfaces to be dealt with? Nowadays your engine and even transmission need to know how fast your vehicle is going to do their jobs correctly. You would also need a way to pull and possibly adapt the the tachometer signal from the engine to get the gauge to work right. You would need adapters for the fuel lines as well since they use a different connection. You'd probably have to take it to an a/c shop to get everything plumbed together again. The radiator is an issue since it was designed for a V6 not a V8. I think with 10 grand it's very doable, but it really depends on the shop. You aren't going to be able to just run down to Joes oil changes r' us on the corner and have them knock it out. I would really search long and hard an be comfortable with whatever shop I was going to let play mad scientist with my VX.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Alright thanks for all the input everyone!

Zeus: I would primarily be driving on road but maybe occasionally a dirt road here and there. The reason I was sugguesting an LS1 primarily, is because I was planning on just getting the engine from a z28 camaro, they come pretty cheap found a few for around 5k so I might be able to get the engine, tranny, radiator and other parts needed for the swap all for 5k from the maro and after I strip all I need from it I could part the rest out and probably recoup a couple hundred dollars.

Ascinder: I have a friend who's father has a shop and does alot of strange work like engine swaps and aftermarket installations. I might give him a call and see what he might be able to do with it. I also have a shop around the airport here that works on the larger isuzu trucks and they were the place I took my vcross to, to find out what was wrong with the tranny and they seemed very knowledgeable and found out that I had a cracked head while they were looking at the tranny. they probably could do the swap but would probably be more expensive than my friends father haha.

Once again thanks all for the help and input!!!

I hope your VX isn't your daily driver... seems like lots of downtime will be required.

I have a mazda miata to drive while its being worked on thank god for that cause my vx has been in the shop for over 30 days now getting a new tranny hoping to get it back end of next week

^ Don't use that shop LOL ^

dropping old and getting a new tranny should only take a couple hours. 30 days WTF are they doing?
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

well they apparently had trouble getting the tranny, They sent me a text on monday saying they are expecting the tranny to be delivered late this week dono what too it so long?