Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Trouble with LED Fog Lamps

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    How much do the Silverstar Ultra's run?
    I think I paid about $50 for the set and then there was a $10 rebate.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    I think I paid about $50 for the set and then there was a $10 rebate.
    But Mav, Jack has that source for HIDs for around $50- $60 bucks with a lifetime warranty....why don't you try them for about the same money as the SilverStar Ultras?
    http://vehicross.info/forums/showpos...8&postcount=23
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Mostly because I'm pissed at Autolumination. If I did get a set of HIDs (no matter how cheap) I would have to get LEDs to match, which means I'd have to re-buy LEDs from somewhere. Even if I did bend over and order another set from them, I'm not sure whether the LED protectors have to be spliced into the wire, or if they plug in to the factory wiring. I'm not the most electrically/mechanically inclined guy, and that sounds like a lot of work.

All that said I agree with you that buying Silverstars doesn't make sense if I ever intend to go with HIDs. But if I'm going to hold off on those at all, the fog bulbs posted above are a good interim solution for wimpy OEM fog lights.

But if I'm going to hold off on those at all, the fog bulbs posted above are a good interim solution for wimpy OEM fog lights.
    Man, I'm real impressed with the Xenons! ...from the pics, they look virtually as white as my LEDs in my pics (which I can't believe haven't crapped out yet)...and i don't have the protectors or anything.
    I think HID & Xenon would look fine.

Maybe, but the xenons look just a tad more yellow in person than in the pics (actually the lower right picture in the dark is the most accurate). It's hard to explain, but while the xenon and LEDs both project white light, the light from the LEDs just seems more pure / clear. I REALLY was hoping the LEDs would work, but until that problem gets figured out I'm happy with the xenons.
    Last edited by vt_maverick : 01/27/2011 at 10:55 AM

so the Xenons are just a direct swap out of the bulbs?

Same size, nothing fancy?

The xenon and Malibu bulbs are both a little larger than the OEM bulb, but they use the exact same wedge base so they fit just fine. If you go to Home Depot and look for 18W Xenon wedge base bulbs you'll find exactly what you need.

P.S. The xenon and Malibu bulbs look almost exactly identical, so I had to make sure I put each bulb back in its original packaging as I was swapping them through for pics. They do have a text label printed on the glass, but otherwise they look the same.

The Plot Thickens...

Last night when I went to bed the xenons worked great. When I got up and went to work this morning, they were still great. I checked them before I left the parking lot after work, and they were fine. But when I get home tonight, what do I find? The passenger side bulb is burned out!

So this gets me to thinking... what if the problem is only on the passenger side? But that makes no sense because the LEDs didn't work on either side right? And then it dawns on me... there were two different symptoms with the LEDs. The passenger side was flashing, which everyone agreed means that the LEDs are nearly toast. But the driver side bulb was just dim, and it instantly brightened when I reversed the wedge in the base. At the time I thought the flashing LED on the passenger side might be a connection issue, so I switched the two to see if the other LED would flash. Although it worked fine at first, after leaving the lights on for awhile the second LED (now installed in the passenger lamp) started flashing as well.

At this point everything I have installed (besides the OEM bulb) in the passenger lamp has burned up. (That's two LEDs, one xenon bulb, and $27 for those counting.) So I figured while I'm throwing money away, I'll swap the Malibu's through to try and burn one of those out as well. If the Malibu's burn up I think it's reasonable to conclude that something else is going on.

What do you guys think? Is it possible that the socket is just too "hot" (voltage not heat) for the bulb? What would you even do to fix something like this?

P.S. Take a look at the comparison chart I posted; you can see the passenger side bulb burning more brightly in a few of those pics.

What do you guys think? Is it possible that the socket is just too "hot" (voltage not heat) for the bulb? What would you even do to fix something like this?
    That is curious indeed. And makes me wonder if the two sockets share a common ground wire or some such weirdness. Or perhaps multiple grounds are occurring, intentional or not.

I sure hope I get time to look at mine more closely this weekend.

When you say "blinking" would "flickering" be a better word?

By blinking I mean consistently turning off and on at a regular interval. As in 1 second on, 1 second off, like your turn signal blinker.

That is truly odd.

something similar to this happened in my RX8. I put LED bulbs in the parking lights located beside the headlights and after about 2 weeks the passenger bulb started blinking as you described 1 second intervals and wasn't "flickering" so I took it out and a few days later the driver side went really really dim so I gave up and figured it was some crappy bulbs and put the old bulbs in and never thought about it again. Strange that almost the same thing has happened with yours.

The xenon and Malibu bulbs are both a little larger than the OEM bulb, but they use the exact same wedge base so they fit just fine. If you go to Home Depot and look for 18W Xenon wedge base bulbs you'll find exactly what you need.
    Good info, VT. Based upon your photo's, I'm leaning towards the brighter Xenon, as opposed to the less bright Malibu. After a quick search on the HomeDepot website, I found the exact item. Below is the Home Depot info:

Brand: Lithonia Lighting
    Wattage: 18 Watt (12 volt)
    Type: Xenon, Wedge-Base
    Count Per Package: Two(2) Each
    Model Number: UCX 2LP M12
    Manufacturer Number: 290713
    Internet Number: 100626333
    Home Depot Price: $16.96 (2-Pack)

EDIT: Here's the story--- so; after seeing the Xenon lamps on the Home Depot website, I then drive down to my local Home Depot to make my purchase of the Lithonia Xenon's for $16.96 (2-Pack... or $8.50 per each bulb). I can't find the Xenon's anywhere in the store, but immediately see the 18-watt Malibu's for only $4.97 (4-Pack... or $1.25 per each bulb). I speak to the Home Depot salesman, and he informs me that the Lithonia 18-watt Xenon's are available "on-line only" at the Home Depot website and are not carried in any Home Depot stores throughout the USA.

OK; let me get this straight-- you want me to pay $8.50 per bulb for the Xenon's, jack-up my credit card bill to make an "on-line" purchase, still have to pay my state sales tax since there is a Home Depot in my state, pay additional shipping charges for delivery, plus wait for a week for them to finally be delivered??? WTF??? Or, I can buy the in-stock 18-watt Malibu 4-Pack for only $1.25 per bulb using cold cash, then go home and immediately install them in my VX fog lights and still have two(2) spare bulbs to put in my glove box. It doesn't take a genious to quickly figure out that the 18-watt MALIBU lights is the only way to go!!! I just installed the MALIBU lights in my VX fog lights, and they look simply stunning!!!
    Last edited by Riff Raff : 01/30/2011 at 10:15 PM

Got good news from Autolumination today, earlier this week I offered to buy two of the LED protector / voltage regulators and pay shipping (~$10) if they would send me two new replacement 25 LED towers (~$22 before shipping), and they agreed. I wouldn't dare install them yet though; I'm going to drop the VX at the shop tomorrow to see if they can find the gremlin.

Electricity is black magic indeed.

Shop just called, apparently one of the grounds was loose so hopefully that was the problem. I'm going to throw another xenon bulb in there to test; if it blows out again I'll know further inquiry is required.

Fingers crossed...