Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: "REVISED" EXPANDED COMPREHENSIVE Questionnaire /checklist For Buyers Or Sellers

Hey you guys are the ones writing the questions, I'm just throwing darts. Why do I have to do anything? Whoops, maybe just answered my own question.

I definitely thought the 100 questions would intimidate/tick off some sellers, and they wouldn't bother answering some/all. That's why I think we should keep the two versions...the "short" version we've been using and this MUCH MORE detailed version so the buyer/seller can choose which they want to use. They may use the short at first, then use the long version if they're getting more serious about the purchase.

I definitely think grouping it into sections (Engine, Body, Cladding, Brakes, Exhaust, etc..) is the next logical step. As I was writing them, I somewhat tried to group them, kept some similar/related things together, but it needs much more grouping.

I think a buyer could print out the "detailed" list as it gives them more background knowledge of things to assess on their own if in person, or ask the seller verbally. It could be used like a guide. That way it won't intimidate the seller.

What about a last "group" for "MISC.". questions.....like the fuzzy hole questions, SuperFlexy IFS, ScanGauge, Overhead console, key fobs, trailer wiring, OEM fan, trailer wiring and any other stragglers. The other ones you wrote Tom are good and can be incorporated into the respective group.

I'm sure once we group the questions, we can then combine several questions...but I still see it being probably 90+ questions.

Here's my thoughts on the .pdf doc Tom created:

8. sentence cuts off...is the rest there?

10. sentence cuts off...is the rest there?

21 & 22 Combined: I thought a table format would increase clarity and aid completion.

What type of fluids (synthetic oil or regular)

_____________S or R______MILEAGE__________DATE_________
    Motor oil-
    Diff-
    Tranny-
    Transf case-

28. Condition of 4 screw knobs on inside rear door panel spare tire cover (often some missing or break off). Ever reinforced with wood dowels or other?

55. Any unusual odors, smoke, mustiness, dank?

96. I would delete "Tone's", as mine was created and installed by my fav audio shop...they never even saw Tone's parts.

98. Has the fuzzy hole been modified in any way? Some put in a 3 switch panel or a clock, etc....
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post

55. Any unusual odors, smoke, mustiness, dank?
    Gank, skank, maybe robbed bank???...

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Gank, skank, maybe robbed bank???...
    Once again....I'm cornfuze-ed

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Once again....I'm cornfuze-ed
    all rhyme with dank...

could this be a prank?

Too much... absolute overkill IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by VXjunky View Post
    could this be a prank?
    I assume you're referring to Dub's rhyme...and not the questionnaire...

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Too much... absolute overkill IMHO.
    That's why I suggested we keep the shorter version,....let 'em choose...best of both worlds hopefully....

I'll make sure to add those trivial matters to the list.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by deermagnet View Post
    What's the single most important thing a used car buyer is interested in? #1 above all others.

Yeah, the engine and transmission! I looked over that entire monstrosity of a list and saw absolutely no reference to how the engine or transmission operate.
    Those are the most expensive parts being bought in this transaction.

Can the engine be started? If so, does it start easily and idle properly without using the gas pedal? Does it run good with smooth acceleration and no hesitation?

Does the transmission shift smooth and operate properly? Does it shift into overdrive when it should? Does the torque converter clutch lock-up when it should?

You're gonna ask the owner about odors, but not, "How's the engine running"?

Maybe I missed something in that list, but that stuff shoulda been at the top of the list from day one.

Mark Griffin
    Maybe add "Does 4L/TOD system work?" also (unless that's what you meant by torque converter clutch lock-up).

What's the single most important thing a used car buyer is interested in? #1 above all others.

Yeah, the engine and transmission! I looked over that entire monstrosity of a list and saw absolutely no reference to how the engine or transmission operate.
    Those are the most expensive parts being bought in this transaction.

Can the engine be started? If so, does it start easily and idle properly without using the gas pedal? Does it run good with smooth acceleration and no hesitation?

Does the transmission shift smooth and operate properly? Does it shift into overdrive when it should? Does the torque converter clutch lock-up when it should?

You're gonna ask the owner about odors, but not, "How's the engine running"?

Maybe I missed something in that list, but that stuff shoulda been at the top of the list from day one.

Mark Griffin
    "monstrosity"...Ouch Mark....
    I don't know engines and many technical aspects like you all do....so I put this in big letters: THOUGHTS, CORRECTIONS, CHANGES, ADDITIONS, IDEAS, COMPLAINTS????.... Yours falls under "complaints"...so since I think this can be a joint project of all knowledgeable peeps....and those are excellent questions that I didn't think of at midnight.....let's add them! You just made it a better document!

And change it, modify it, re-word it, chop it up in any other aspect we feel would make it better...for all of us.

I think the last two days we were focused mostly on how to get it "organized" since it's a wopper at 100 some questions and just jumped out and screamed "too long". I think content would be next up, then streamlining.

Of course, nobody has to use it, no problem....but I still believe it has value to newbies...and even others, as time goes on.

To use a very overused cliche...it's a work in progress!

Well, no. The torque converter clutch is part of your automatic transmission. As you shift thru the gears it's a 100% fluid connection between the flywheel and the rear drive shaft, and with that comes horsepower loses.
    That viscous coupling is commonly referred to as the torque converter. It used to be a big thing to upgrade your torque converter to a lower stall speed unit to cut down on the HP loss that he mentioned (at the expense of it shifting harder). Also, if you ever buy a tow vehicle with a factory tow package installed, that's one of the upgrades.

Picture this: next time you are stirring your coffee, stir real hard & then let go of the spoon. It'll keep spinning after you let go as the liquid pushes the spoon in the direction of the flow.

The torque converter is very much like a vat of hydraulic fluid with 2 concentric fans. The primary fan is connected to the engine. The secondary is connected to the output shaft of the tranny. As the engine turns the primary fan & spins the fluid, the fluid drives the secondary which turns the driveshaft.

This is all necessary for an automatic transmission to function properly.

Lock up torque converters are probably the biggest contributor in getting auto tranny vehicles to get comparable gas mileage to what manual trannys get.

Wow!

Phew! Are these questions to scare someone away from buying a VX? Are there so many questions designed so that eventually a buyer will find 'something wrong' with a VX he/she is considering buying?
    Even the newest VX's are gonna be 10 years old, so there are going to be signs of usage no matter how good we all are in preserving this beautiful sweatheart people mover. At any rate, I think prudent purchasing is a must and selling with integrity is a must! Nothing less.....Nothing more!