Thread: Rear ended ^2

Rear ended ^2

So, yeah. Sitting at a stop light and I get rear ended by a car that got rear ended by a truck. Thankfully no one was hurt. Had 5 officers respond, that was kinda neat.

Thank God I have a tow hitch, think it majorly saved my backside. Pretty tempted to get one of those tow hitch protector thingies that people talked about. Didn't even notice but my cladding on the rear door got popped in Other than that I dont think there is any damage, I think. Looked around at the tow hitch and dont think there was any damage there, although it looks like in one spot a weld got popped too.

Some pics, since any post is incomplete without

Sorry to see that dude, at least the damage doesn't seem that bad (honestly I can't even see it in the pic you posted). Hopefully something you can pop out with a hair dryer maybe?

I had a guy in a nissan roll under the back once at a stop sign. Only visible damage to me was a broken hitch receiver light. His car, on the other hand, had a two inch groove running up the bumper cover and hood about a foot in (pretty messed up in other words - he literally wedged under me). He'd been drinking a bit (didn't seem drunk just wasn't paying attention) and didn't want the cops to see what was up and asked me what I thought. He offered me a hundred bucks (all he had in his wallet) and I said sure and we both drove off. Those lights cost me $4 at Harbor Freight.

You may be able to use a heat gun to push out the cladding (as long as it isn't cracked).

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Sorry to hear what happened. That's how I lost my Isuzu Amigo a few years back. Good luck on the repairs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by Tookie View Post
    Pretty tempted to get one of those tow hitch protector thingies that people talked about.
    Glad you are okay. Luckily, none of us "spare bumper" users have had a chance to use our new toys. Although, VXKat has been the closest.

Hind sight is 20/20, but if the tow hitch saved as much damage as it did, I would think that with the SpareBumper you may be able to spare your VX from future idiots.

The Bumper creator dude's latest creation is a Safe “T” Tri-Ball Mount

So there are lots of options.

Probably would be a good idea to get your welds inspected first....at that idiots expense.

Super minor damage, honestly I didn't notice anything other than the tow hitch weld until the next morning.

Has anyone hair dryer/heat gun popped out dents like that before? Lol, sorry to sound like an idiot, but is there any more to it than just heating it up and pushing?

Good to hear that no one with the spare bumper has had to use it. Looked at the tri ball mount Looks interesting but I think I might rather buy the step instead lol.

A hitch should be required on a VX, although I was kinda wishing I had the Tone style hitch, I think in this case that wouldn't have helped me as much as this one since the car was lower.

accident

Quote Originally Posted by Tookie View Post
    So, yeah. Sitting at a stop light and I get rear ended by a car that got rear ended by a truck. Thankfully no one was hurt. Had 5 officers respond, that was kinda neat.

Thank God I have a tow hitch, think it majorly saved my backside. Pretty tempted to get one of those tow hitch protector thingies that people talked about. Didn't even notice but my cladding on the rear door got popped in Other than that I dont think there is any damage, I think. Looked around at the tow hitch and dont think there was any damage there, although it looks like in one spot a weld got popped too.

Some pics, since any post is incomplete without

Wow you are in Hawaii, what island? I was in Hawaii for two months at the beginning of last year and I really miss it. I usually stay pretty much on Kauai I like the peace and quiet. I am glad you were not hurt. Rich

cant stand the humidity and especially the skeeters....lived on Kauai for a year....left half of me behind in mosquito bellies.... i know why people only vacation there a week at a time, more than that and youre one chewed mo-fo....plus,how many times can ya go around in a circle, before ya go stir crazy