Thread: Spare tire cover

Question Spare tire cover

I saw a really slick rear-mount exterior hard spare tire cover on a Passport last week. It is very futuristic and would be incredible on a VX if there were a way to make it work right. Definitely not a stock anything. It was silver, very close to the astral color. Anyone have a clue what this was exactly and who makes it? If not maybe I can post a sketch tomorrow or something - can't find anything like it online thus far.

Yeah, I know it would require some serious modding since ours is in the door and all.
    Last edited by Heraclid : 09/09/2003 at 10:28 PM

Are you talking about this?

If so, I can tell you they seem pretty cheapy to me. I've tapped on the plastic parts on one I've seen in person (parking lot), and it seemed somewhat thin and, well... cheapy. If they were metal or fiberglass, then maybe.

2001, Silver, Vehicross, Supercharged, 0492, Sold 3/20/2012
    I have seen one on the street, also. It looks like an airlock for pod people.
    The Jeep concept car has a full sized spare mounted on the outside and inset on the rear door. I am waiting (With my torch) for a door turn turn up to give that a try.
    Roy

Thumbs up That's the one

That looks exactly like it, Dallas4U. I've now seen it mounted on two different Passports but didn't get a super up-close look today when I saw one again, didn't touch it or anything. It looked like it used to say "Discover" on it though, not Kia Sportage or something like in the pic. Looked like they buffed it out to debadge the cover.

Dallas4U - that looks pretty cool- but I'm confused (thats normal!) - why would we want an external mount spare when we have a VERY classy internal mount spare? I think that that people at Lincoln would be jealous of that HUMP!

I know it's not real practical and would require excessive moding, but I'm just bouncing some ideas around in my head. Probably would not try this, but...

Thumbs up

Because when you switch to larger tires, or simply want a full size spare, they don't fit in the back door... I'm interested in this also...

Hey, I'm just posting the pic here! I don't know how you would do it, or if you would want to. Besides the fact that you can't fit a full size tire back there, I am ok with where the spare is. If I want to move it, I will probably just get a roof rack and stow a full size up there.

I'll leave the magic up to Heraclid, or whomever wants to take on a task of this nature.

It would take some work for sure, as it is designed to work flush-mount with a pretty straight up-and-down rear door/hatch. Ours being contoured like it is would present a problem. If the thing is not of good quality as has been stated already, then it isn't going to be worth it.

Thanks a bunch for the pic Dallas!

No prob. I remember seeing these a couple years back as well. i was a little intrigued by the design... I just wish they would have built them better.