Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hella Optilux 2020 - front cladding install

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)

Hella Optilux 2020 - front cladding install

So after looking for some time for lights that would fit in the front cladding I decided on these Hella Optilux 2020. They area dual fog/driving light with independent bulbs/reflectors for each application in one housing.

They were a pain to install, but I like the way they turned out. If I didn't have the Rowhard skid plate the adjustment would be easier. The pain was the wiring, but the mounting to the cladding was a snap! Biggest issue was the inline fuse holder and getting that through the firewall and the placement of the relays. All in all I'm very happy with the look. Not a ton of output, but they will suit my needs just fine. I was able to mod the OEM switch holder to accept the switch.

Last edited by Mile High VX : 01/07/2011 at 01:19 PM
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Very nice work! Looks sharp and a nice compliment to the skid plate!

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Nice Job, I have some lights in the same location that are just fog lights. Wiring is always my least favorite part of installing any electonics.

Where did you get the fuzzy hole switch panel?

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Where did you get the fuzzy hole switch panel?
    I believe I got it from deermagnet when he has some odds and ends he was giving away because he's such a great guy...

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaVX View Post
    Very nice work! Looks sharp and a nice compliment to the skid plate!
    Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    Nice Job, I have some lights in the same location that are just fog lights. Wiring is always my least favorite part of installing any electonics.
    X 2...

Perfect fit!

Awesome install!

Question: Do lower fogs really really work?

I almost s$!t myself last year coming home from Moab through the Vail pass at night in a blizzard. I was blinded by my HIDs. I was only able to see somewhat with my headlights off.

I really want to install lower fogs like that if it really makes a notable difference.

Thanks.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Awesome install!

Question: Do lower fogs really really work?

I almost s$!t myself last year coming home from Moab through the Vail pass at night in a blizzard. I was blinded by my HIDs. I was only able to see somewhat with my headlights off.

I really want to install lower fogs like that if it really makes a notable difference.

Thanks.
    yes Kenny, the lower to the ground the lights are, the less reflection you get off snow. the lights run down the ground instead of directly in front of you.
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Very nice install; I love how they fill-up and perfectly fit the oval openings in the front cladding. I just checked-out the Hella website, and must say you got the best model available for the application with dual fog/driving lights. Hella does make a cool looking Carbon Fiber housing oval fog light with a blue lens, but the Carbon Fiber housing would be pretty much hidden by the surrounding cladding.

While on the Hella website, I see they make a neat product called "Shieldz"-- which is a filmlike tinted-color static-cling lens protector available in Clear, Yellow, Blue, Smoke tints that can change the color of the lights while protecting them from rocks and chips. They can be custom trimmed with scissors to perfectly fit the oval Hella's. Thus, you could change the lighting of your lights to perhaps Yellow, Blue or Smoke. A really cool effect on your dual element lights would be to go "half-n-half"-- meaning; cut and trim a Yellow film just for the FOG portion half, and then cut and trim a Blue film for the DRIVING portion half. That would be way cool-- Yellow Fog's and Blue Driving lights all in one housing!!! Give this mod some further thought with the static-cling "Shieldz" by Hella.

Yes, it seems the wiring portion of the job is always the worst when installing auxilary lights. WARN Industries (the Winch people) make "wireless" lights that use a remote transmitter eliminating the firewall wiring pass-thru issue. However, the WARN lights are limited in selection choices and really don't have one that perfectly fits in the oval slots of the VX like the Hella's do.

Again, great install. Looks sharp!!!

Hella makes a wireless as well. Would have to have two for this application so I just did it the old fashioned way...

I was blessed that biju had run a large guage power wire through the fire wall with a large rubber gormet to keep water out. I was able to trim this to accept the pass thru of the in-line fuse holder. Without that it would have really been a mess...

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    Very clean install! Kudos to you, looks factory fresh...
    Vixer Fixer

For "WeKilled". Check-out this thread, as the Hella Optilux 2020 fog lights were installed within the add-on faux skid plate openings.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    So after looking for some time for lights that would fit in the front cladding I decided on these Hella Optilux 2020. They area dual fog/driving light with independent bulbs/reflectors for each application in one housing.

They were a pain to install, but I like the way they turned out. If I didn't have the Rowhard skid plate the adjustment would be easier. The pain was the wiring, but the mounting to the cladding was a snap! Biggest issue was the inline fuse holder and getting that through the firewall and the placement of the relays. All in all I'm very happy with the look. Not a ton of output, but they will suit my needs just fine. I was able to mod the OEM switch holder to accept the switch.

It looks great! Where did you get your red large VX emblem; I like it!!!

I believe

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD PAYNE View Post
    a member on the site sells them and are available on ebay as well.

also http://svx-motorsport-accessories.st...jdmstvxem.html
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD PAYNE View Post
    There's a VX owner in Tucson that has a motorsports biz and sells some VX accessories:

http://svx-motorsport-accessories.st...jdmstvxem.html

http://svx-motorsport-accessories.st....net/veac.html

I had his faux brushed stainless ones and they look great, stick on with 3M double sided tape. He sometimes sells them on ebay, usually for much less than his website. I now have real titanium ones that another member here makes, but will only do so if there's 10 orders...so far we haven't been able to get 10 buyers for a while.

Here's pics of the faux s.s. ones:

VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.