Thread: Maxi View Blind Spot Mirror -- World's Best?

Maxi View Blind Spot Mirror -- World's Best?

I got this as a Christmas present. My ride isn't going yet, so I can't comment on using it, but it seems like it will work well. It is being marketed as the world's best blind spot mirror. My mom got it for me and was surprised I was so happy with it. She said she just got it cheap and didn't realize that I was going to get a blind spot mirror any way.
    www.maxiviewmirror.com

another site I found but looks the same:
    www.maxiviewmirrors.com

Both sites are advertising them at $30, but I think my mom said she got the pair for like $5. If anyone's interested, I can find out where she got them.
    '01 Kaiser SC'ed VX #0867

Well, I'm not going to recommend NOT getting blind spot mirrors, but I will say I believe most of the issue disappears if you have your mirrors adjusted correctly.

I'm among one of the generations who were taught to adjust the side mirrors so you can just barely see the back end of your car. That's wrong and leaves you essentially seeing the exact same view from your side mirrors as what you see in your rear view mirror.

The right way:
    Lean your body toward the center of the car - adjust the passenger mirror so you barely see the back edge of your car then move it outward a tiny bit more.

Next, lean your body and touch your head on the driver's window - adjust the driver's mirror so you barely see the back edge of your car then move it outward a tiny bit more, too.

Now fine-tune the setup so cars appear in the side mirror before they fully disappear from the rearview & so cars appear in the window before they fully disappear from side mirror. Repeat for other side. An ideal safe location to test this is on a residential street where cars are parked at the curb.

I've been doing this for a while and it makes the blind spots almost disappear in my VX. (They completely disappeared in my other car.) Be warned - it takes a while to get used to, but it's FREE!

My rig had those on it when I got it. They are a good addition. Also the wide angle viewer for motorhomes rear windows works great. You can get the good ones at Camping World. RiffRaff pointed me at them. No glue or adhesive.

Thanks for the shout-out, Travelin2. Yup, you're talking about the "Fresnel Wide Angle Lens" (available at www.CampingWorld.com then search for "wide angle lens") that most big RV's use in the rear window, and that many VX'ers here on this forum use in their rear window as well (myself included).

I have seen other Europeon-style blind-spot mirrors that suction-cup on the interior side of the windshield near the windshield pillar, but I have no actual experience with them. They can be found at www.AutoSportCatalog.com website, then do a search for "spot mirror".

EDIT: Although no spot mirrors were found at www.HerringtonCatalog.com, they do have some cool stuff.
    Last edited by Riff Raff : 12/31/2010 at 06:18 AM Reason: Double-checked websites

Something that member toallto in Lakewood Washington, (thanks Andrew)turned me onto is called the autobahn mirror, developed by German police. You can literally still see the car next to you in it and it is level with your front fender, that way you don't lose the use of your straight outside mirror. http://www.properautocare.com/autobahnmirror.html Look around, can find it even cheaper.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Looks like a great find Paul! Looks real similar to one I got at the auto parts place (Can't recall if it was AutoZone, Checkers or Napa). I think mine swivels too from left to right. Was under $5. Funny, I tried a small round and then a large round just like "Maxiview" shows in their ad, but liked the rectangle the best.

I tried different corners, but found I liked it in lower right corner the best.

I originally had one on passenger side also, but didn't like it. Now that I'm used to it, I may put pass back on.

VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

I use the rectangular curved ones. They work great. A digital rearview mirror helps as well.

The screen can be setup however you want, full screen, 1/3left or right, 2/3 and so on.

It is dual layer, so you can use it as a conventional mirror, or digitally. It takes getting used to, but I have had it for so long, I don't even pay attention to the fact its digital.
    The camera is starting to go,2 years for a Ebay Hong Kong special is awesome!!! I will be ordering another camera just like it. Oh, the screen is also dual input, so you can hook up a back up camera as well if you want...or a dvd player, computer...whatever.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    My VX was my first vehicle that i tried one of those things on... now i have them on all my cars. Cant live without them now.
    They literally saved my VX one time in a split second reaction in traffic.

i have found that the rectangle ones work best too... i just got some for my toyota and im bummed that i got the round ones, they just dont work as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

I still like my idea the best.
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ght=blind+spot

...you coulda had this RallyDude.
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

I've got the round ones on both our Isuzu's and they work well for us; honestly I think all these options probably work equally as well, the only difference is how easy they are to get used to and how attractive they look on your dash / mirror.

I have some like kat posted... they're great...

I have my mirrors adjusted correctly as Rick Says, but I use my blindspot mirrors for way more than checking my blindspots Great for seeing obstacles. Backing our vehicles up, etc. I can see the curb on my driveway as I back down so I can properly navigate... My driveway kind of sucks

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...=12,77.33,,0,5

Google streetview doesn't really show how steep it is.

Quote Originally Posted by taylorRichie View Post
    Google streetview doesn't really show how "steep" it is.
    That appears to be a bit of an understatement....
    Holy carp! you're apt to be rocking climbing before ya know it!

I think you guys are missing the point, My mom got me the "world's best" blind spot mirror. Says so right on the box.

I talked to her yesterday, she said she would get the name of the place. She said they were $15 for the pair. It was like some Violin Supply in SLC? I was just impressed when she got me something for the car I will actually use and I needed.

I guess I just had a good Christmas. Sometimes it's more like I'm just giving or getting stuff, cause it is Christmas and that's what you do. This year, I both got a bunch of stuff that was spot-on, and gave some stuff that was really well appreciated. It's cool when that happens, when the presents really make a difference, and you can remember giving or getting that perfect gift even a decade later.

Another helpful trick is to just turn your interior mirror upside down. Yes, the map lights shine on the headliner but the rear view is improved because you can actually see tail gaters. Try it, you'll like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    I use the rectangular curved ones. They work great. A digital rearview mirror helps as well.

Is that a touchscreen? How many NITs is it?