Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Fiber Hood Inserts & Other Parts.

id be interested in a piece of carbon fiber that matches the interior pieces, to create a piece to cover the spare tire boo-boo i have

I have a few "extra" hood inserts with WRX scoops (the bolts would not fit into the stock holes for the hood without some modification) in fact I had 4 that wouldn't fit (one I am using now, had to drill the holes bigger and it still doesn't fit right)

But if you ripped the bolts off that are fiber glassed on it would make for a good mold. I would gladly send it down to you if I could get one back that would fit right.
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

I'm having trouble getting my hands on a VX to buy... any chance they can make the whole darned truck? I think a carbon fiber VX would be kinda cool... :-)

MsConduct, I've been following your search for a VX and all I can say (and I know it's hard to do) is just be patient. When you find your VX you'll know it and all the stars and planets will align and all will be right with the world.

Oh, and a carbon fiber VX would be WAY more than "kinda" cool.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Sorry, about the price list, I put in 80 hours at work this weekend and haven't picked it up yet. The plus side is, work gave me a company vehicle and I dropped the VX off at his shop, so he can put together a detailed list of a bunch of parts. We are meeting Sunday and I'll have your list. only thing I know as of now is the half-moon on the back hatch would be $75 Carbon Fiber and $50 in Fiberglass. Also, I have a friend living in Japan thats in the military and I'm going to probably buy the tail light covers in 3 weeks and have him ship it back since it would cost next to nothing if he ships it through the army.
    "Sometime Early, Never Late, But Always On Time"

Still Interested If They Are Going To Be Available. Tx, Rich

Would love to have a hood scoop

Can your guy leave the camera hole open in the half moon piece? Would love to get a backup camera in there later.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Can your guy leave the camera hole open in the half moon piece? Would love to get a backup camera in there later.
    That should not be a problem, mine has the back up camera in it and I told him not everyone is going to want the hole, but some will have to have it due to already having a camera in theirs.

Leaving now to get the list, be back on in a few hours with the numbers and should have a general idea when he will get started on everything, and when these can become ready to purchase. Thanks for everyones item list and time.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by VX-13 View Post
    That should not be a problem, mine has the back up camera in it and I told him not everyone is going to want the hole, but some will have to have it due to already having a camera in theirs.
    If he takes this cladding piece off to make a mold some pics of the camera mounting would be awesome!
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    If he takes this cladding piece off to make a mold some pics of the camera mounting would be awesome!
    I can do that.

Ok, after a very busy day and now getting home. I talked to him today and he had a few things off my VX, he will start making a mold tomorrow of the insert or half moon. He said that the list is a rough estimate, but could flex a little due to the difficulty of the more complex (not straight) parts. Once he gets done with mine I can lock in all the prices with a for sure price list, but I believe for the most part, this is what we will be looking at.

Half moon- $75-100
    Hood- $400-450
    Hood Insert- $200-250 Also if your wanting a scoop, I think what he will do is have you order whatever scoop you want and make a mold of it, to mold on to the hood mold. And then return the scoop, that way everyone can have what they want.
    Cladding- $1,500-2,000
    Mirrors- $200 This will not be a cover, but the whole mirror case and the bracket on the door that holds the mirror.

I still don't have prices on the over cladding skid plates or tail light covers, because I don't have those and it will be about a month before I get the tail light covers to make molds. Also, he is looking into the interior pieces, since there is a lot of curves, and places for screws and tabs, he wants to make sure what will all go into replicating those.

I will keep everyone posted with his progress as well as pictures when my parts are finished, I will be getting a call tomorrow on how the first making of the mold turns out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaVX View Post
    I have a few "extra" hood inserts with WRX scoops (the bolts would not fit into the stock holes for the hood without some modification) in fact I had 4 that wouldn't fit (one I am using now, had to drill the holes bigger and it still doesn't fit right)

But if you ripped the bolts off that are fiber glassed on it would make for a good mold. I would gladly send it down to you if I could get one back that would fit right.
    Sorry for a late reply, I will get in touch with him and PM you an answer in the next few days

Put me down for a half moon with the camera cut-out. Also really, really, really considering a hood insert with scoop but I guess I'll have to figure out which one.

Thanks for the legwork VX-13! And for offering up your insert AlaskaVX!