Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Engine starts up and dies

Engine starts up and dies

I have a 2000 VX. Recently engine started to act up more. I would start it up and it would startup and die immediately. Once as I was driving on the highway, the engine just turn off and I had to coast to the side of the road and start it up again. It was happening very infrequent so every time I talked to a mechanic or Isuzu rep, they told me they can't figure it out unless it happens all the time. I'm glad they were all honest and didn't take my money, but it's been happening more often now (though still not every time). Doesn't matter if it's hot, cold, rainy, nice weather, driven daily, sitting for a week. Sometimes I have to keep my foot on the gas ever so slightly to keep the RPM's up so I can drive so that it doesn't stall at a stop light. Most of the time it's ok after driving for a while. Every once in a while it doesn't get back to normal until I park the car, take the key out pump the gas once or twice, and start up again. Then it's fine. Sometimes when I start up, the RPM's will be high above 2300 RPM's and stay high which is opposite of starting up and dieing immediately. I even called into a couple radio car shows and they couldn't figure it out. It started about 3 yrs ago. Only happened once that year so thought it was a fluke. Then it happened again 2 times in one day about a year later. Then nothing for another few months. Then maybe once every 2 months. In the last 3 months, it's happened about 5 times.
    Call me a geek, or maybe even nerd, but face the facts, we da ones be rulin' this world!

Check the air hose behind the air filter to see if its lose
    If it is doing it under load this maybe the culprit
    Load = enough space to let the mass air sensor to drop
    Unloaded = slips back into place and starts to run again
    Had this happen to one of my cars once
    But I would describe it as feeling like bucking when it cut in and out

It almost sounds like an electrical gremlin.
    Things to check:
    Fuel pressure regulator(yes I know its not electrical), fuel pump harness, fuel filter, spark plug wires!! I had old wires in a bronco that would randomly shut off. Replaced plugs and wires, problem solved.
    Not sure how many miles or what maintenance you have done.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

My 1st guess is FPR as well.

Bart

i had a similar issue about a year after i got my vx. replacing the fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator completely took care of it. not sure which actually solved the problem, but both of them together was only about 60 in parts and i was able to do installation myself

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Fuel filter.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    I had this issue with my '69 Z28.

Long story short the connection for the tach had worn at the firewall and every once in a while it would short out. I found it by a fluke and once I fixed it no more issues.

Just a thought.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

What MileHigh said. I would definitely replace the fuel filter (and possibly pressure regulator) as they are cheap and easy to do, but this has happened to a couple of people on the site and they found out that it was one of the wire looms passing through the firewall (I think) that had been worn through and was shorting out.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    It almost sounds like an electrical gremlin.
    Things to check:
    spark plug wires!! I had old wires in a bronco that would randomly shut off. Replaced plugs and wires, problem solved.
    When the HELL did we get spark plug wires?

And WHY wasn't I notified???......

Mine was doing the same thing. Took it to the Mechanic multiple times without ever solving the problem. I finally had him check it out one last time, he found gunk in the throttle body, cleaned it out and the problem was resolved. Now Gill's is doing the same thing. We have yet to take it in, but will keep you posted.
    ~*~Cece~*~

- Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Quote Originally Posted by VXIRONwoMAN View Post
    Mine was doing the same thing. Took it to the Mechanic multiple times without ever solving the problem. I finally had him check it out one last time, he found gunk in the throttle body, cleaned it out and the problem was resolved. Now Gill's is doing the same thing. We have yet to take it in, but will keep you posted.
    Touche old man....check the coil packs and associated wiring Maybe take em off, clean em up...

I would check Idle control valve and throttle position sensor. at least on GM cars - Idle control valve gets dirty, gets stuck open/close- either idles high or stalls at traffic light. Throttle position sensor - wear at one spot - poor signal to ecu - ecu cuts off fuel...

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Touche old man....check the coil packs and associated wiring Maybe take em off, clean em up...
    Good GOD man, first we have plug wires, then you mistake my little sister for an old man?...

Check the condom you store your wine in for botulism...SOON!...

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Good GOD man, first we have plug wires, then you mistake my little sister for an old man?...

Check the condom you store your wine in for botulism...SOON!...
    *sigh*, wrong post quoted, score 2 for Ldub

I am recently having the exact same issues as Baldwin describes here. I was wondering if you ever figured out or resolved this issue. Any guidance or additional info is greatly appreciated.