Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What's the most backspacing you've seen?

Quote Originally Posted by crotchrocket View Post
    2829th post in a row.......
    Well let me add another then...

OK., thanks.

Without a specific reply, let me try the question this way....

Is anyone running wheels that have 3/4" more backspacing than stock? Basically, I'm trying to figure out if up to 1" more backspacing (than stock) will fit in the wheels w/o rubbing. For sake of argument, lets say it's with 30" diameter tires.

From marlins post, his wheels have an inch of back spacing more than factory. He is also running 34" tires. You should be fine

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    From marlins post, his wheels have an inch of back spacing more than factory. He is also running 34" tires. You should be fine
    Are you SURE about the backspacing? It sounds like you think OEM backspacing is 4.5"? As I posted, 5" is my calculation and 5.5" is what the chart says (that's linked at the beginning of the giant whee/tire thread). IOW, Marlin's backspacing is the same as factory.

OTOH, with 9" wheels, I'd think they'd stick out more!

Marlin, can you confirm your backspacing as compared to factory?

BTW: Is there a (simple) adjustment for wheel lock-to-lock if there's any contact in that regard?

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    I also lowered the front end down to almost stock height, looks funny, but improved the offroad handling drastically. My VX just sits in the driveway most of the time, less than a tank a gas through it a month.
    Ultra Goliath wheels: 108mm bore
    6 on 5.5, 18x9, 5.5" back space, +12mm offset
    General Grabber AT2 275/65/18 P-metric
    Marlin, you still look way above stock height. With a 31" wheel, mine is sitting WAY further up into the wheel well -- on the front. Mine is further up than your pic on the ramps!

With 12mm offset and 2" more wheel, I gotta assume your tire is sitting more outboard that the two pics in this thread portray.

Quote Originally Posted by 89Vette View Post
    Marlin, you still look way above stock height. With a 31" wheel, mine is sitting WAY further up into the wheel well -- on the front. Mine is further up than your pic on the ramps!

With 12mm offset and 2" more wheel, I gotta assume your tire is sitting more outboard that the two pics in this thread portray.
    Hold on, read the post, I am at stock height now, or very close to it anyway.
    The tires in the pics were only 32" x10.9". Those pics are from 2 years ago when I first lifted the truck and a bunch of other hoohah..

As for the offset and whatnot, this info is straight off the shipping bill for the wheels:
    6 on 5.5, 18x9, 5.5" back space, +12mm offset

Here is what the truck looks like now:

The tires do stick outside the cladding an inch or so. Not enough to look silly(for you Tom), but enough give it that wider more aggressive stance.

Yes, you can adjust the steering stops to minimize rubbing. Page 2A-16 in the shop manual. Fairly easy to do. So even if you do get rubbing, you can just set the stops to make it go away.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    I"m running a backspacing of -6 on a wheel that's 18x8.5 at stock height and I love the look...had to do some minor cladding trim front and rear, but no rubbing issues lock to lock and I have about 1" of tire outside the edge of the cladding.

Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    I"m running a backspacing of -6 on a wheel that's 18x8.5 at stock height and I love the look...had to do some minor cladding trim front and rear, but no rubbing issues lock to lock and I have about 1" of tire outside the edge of the cladding.

Your truck looks good! With that little trimming, you are gonna rub if you go wheeling, especially on steep descents. The wheel does move around a bit from front to rear. But I would guess by the pics, your truck is not a wheeling kind of truck

My tires do not stick out quite as far as yours, but pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post

Dont mean to be nitpicky.. but your running an OFFSET of -6.. backspacing would be about 4 inches

offset is measured from the center line of the wheel, backspacing is measured from the back of the wheel

man that looks close to a sidewall puncture

Quote Originally Posted by VXjunky View Post
    man that looks close to a sidewall puncture
    That's exactly why he's running the Goodyear Wrangler Kevlar MT/R.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Not to mention why you air down before offroading. Tires will take a lot of abuse/flex at 5-10 PSI.

The sidewalls on those tires are close to an inch thick, and if I somehow do manage to damage one, they get replaced for free

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    The tires do stick outside the cladding an inch or so. Not enough to look silly(for you Tom), but enough give it that wider more aggressive stance.
    I have no response to that. (Can't let Ash 1 up me on useless posts.)

Vette, don't worry about the tasteless humor on this forum ... you'll get used to it.

The picture of the Proton with the 'offset from hell' is mine. Wheel/tire protrusion is purely a matter of taste so do what you feel is right for you.

One thing to consider is that the VehiCross was hand made. We've found through this forum that there are variations from vehicle to vehicle. Some with 3" lift never have CV problems while others (like me) blow CV boots several times a year. Rim/tire combos may rub on some but not on others.

My advice to you is to take Merlin's advice on the rim size/offset. If you get interference, adjusting the lock stops is easy (from what I've read - never tried it myself 'cause I like the tight turning radius). Trimming the cladding/wheel well skirt is very easy as well.

The last thing not mentioned is that you can lift your front end slightly to avoid some rubbing as well. That's accomplished by just tightening 2 bolts on your torsion bars. You'll have to get an alignment after though.

One final comment: I ditched the Wrangler MTs over the weekend & put on Firestone ATs (I had a $100 off coupon). I did that for 3 reasons: The front tires were shot & needed to be replaced, Boy is driving it to school & I wanted a tire better behaved on the road for him, last & least is that they'll last much longer.

I don't like them (& neither does Boy). They handle very well on the road. They will last a long time. They are very quiet on the road. But ... they look so whimpy!!! Oh well, at least getting it through inspection should be easier now.

I'll post some pictures soon.
    Last edited by tom4bren : 03/21/2011 at 06:16 AM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.